I miss Bruce

obyknven

But I live in a country that doesnt have your social structures that are part of why you have a different view to mine 

Gotta agree with that, the concept of having a drink with strangers of any legal age is also pretty prevalent here (as long as the atmosphere is non-sexual).

But of course for every ten of your years you're supposed to do with added class and composure. Hitting on people half your age is no-no.. (says the guy with a girlfriend 9 years younger than him)

Fortune favors the bald.

There are times you wonder about the threads here. Other times you're sure.

:blink:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Aren't you in your late 20's?  When I say under-age, I'm not referring to anything sexual.  There is simply a point where you are too old to be hanging out with 17 year old girls, let alone smoking pot and clubbing with them.  Letting them know that would have been perfectly normal when you learned their age.

Honestly I'd also say you are too old to be smoking pot with strangers in car parks, but maybe I'm out of line there.   :huh:

edit:  Just noticed your age says 41.  That's terrible.

Bruce may just be young at heart. To be honest, judging from his posts I would never have guessed he is 41.

But you are quite right, at age 41 you should be doing things like playing golf with other near-pensioners while discussing what fine wines you've added to the collection, not smoking weed with teenage girls in car parks. That sort of thing is simply not done! /nod nod

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

But I live in a country that doesnt have your social structures that are part of why you have a different view to mine 

Gotta agree with that, the concept of having a drink with strangers of any legal age is also pretty prevalent here (as long as the atmosphere is non-sexual).

But of course for every ten of your years you're supposed to do with added class and composure. Hitting on people half your age is no-no.. (says the guy with a girlfriend 9 years younger than him)

I am really glad you commented because you have unique experiences around interaction with people, I would argue you probably have views on social interaction that is more progressive and realistic and reflects the Danish society than most  people 

For example that documentary you made about kissing random strangers I thought it was very impressive and offered a unique insight into general Danish social interaction. For me what particularly impressed me about that video, and I dont think  anyone raised this but I thought this, is it takes a lot of confidence to be able to ask strangers what you did ...most people would never do that as the thought of being rejected once is enough to not ever do it

I see the whole notion of rejection as just part of the overall structure of general social interaction, you cant take it personally as it helps refine what works for you. I like socializing, I like interacting with strangers , I like those random discussions you have with people you may never see again, I like to hear peoples life stories and I enjoy talking to women I dont know

Now I do all these things because I believe you can always benefit and learn from others about the journey of life

Finally I want to try to align this whole incident with this 17 year old with your own experiences to see if you agree with my perspective. I have found with talking to any women of any age what matters in most cases is the initial first impression you create...its strange but the first few things you say  that create the initial impression can influence the entire interaction  and just to be clear I am talking about an impression where the women feels comfortable and safe talking to you as strange man..I dont mean in a sexual way

I realize I left out a very key part of my story and that part is " why would a young women offer an older man a joint" (and this could be about her buying me a drink for example )

So the conversation went like this ( and remember this scenario is the same as you talking to any women at a  bar that you dont know as I know you also interact with strangers )

So she was standing in front of me waiting to get served and I'm just summarizing 

me : hello

her : hello

me : what you buying 

her :cigarettes

me: I'm buying lose because then I smoke less

her  : yeah I'm buying a box 

Now at this point in the conversation I wanted to make her laugh so I said something that can have mixed results 

me :  but I thought you were trying to stop smoking 

Now of course I dont know  her but I also know most smokers want to stop but I also know human beings generally react a certain way  when a stranger says something they  have said before...they suddenly think this person knows them so she responded exactly the way I was hoping 

her :  how did you know I want to stop , ( now she was almost impressed by my insight )

me :  I then told her it was just a normal smokers thing

her: you look like smoked a joint , do you

me: yes but I dont have now

her : do you want to join us for a joint 

And then we started interacting and as you probably know when you meet strangers or any  women you dont talk about things that 

that will probably be boring to them or they wouldn't have an interest in

So we all chatted about music and politics and things we had in common...the age difference wasnt even a consideration because our interaction wasn't about that

I dont expect many people on this forum to necessarily understand this whole event but I am hoping you do?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Stay strong, Bruce. I have confidence you'd never do something inappropriate or hurtful to anyone. 

#BruceStrong

100 % and even though we have never met  or chatted you actually know me better than most people on this forum who I interact wth all the time 

And I'm not malicious or have bad intentions 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Aren't you in your late 20's?  When I say under-age, I'm not referring to anything sexual.  There is simply a point where you are too old to be hanging out with 17 year old girls, let alone smoking pot and clubbing with them.  Letting them know that would have been perfectly normal when you learned their age.

Honestly I'd also say you are too old to be smoking pot with strangers in car parks, but maybe I'm out of line there.   :huh:

Bruce may just be young at heart. To be honest, judging from his posts I would never have guessed he is 41.

But you are quite right, at age 41 you should be doing things like playing golf with other near-pensioners while discussing what fine wines you've added to the collection, not smoking weed with teenage girls in car parks. That sort of thing is simply not done! /nod nod

Yes you make some accurate observations and I just want to add to it

This forum is a gamers forum and there is a WoT where we discuss topics that resonate with gamers that suits me fine as I enjoy our debates which are normally light hearted IMO

People who meet me normally say I look 28-34 …sometimes older but women think I look younger for some reason. But why people get on with me in RL is because they feel comfortable and obviously for any women I chat to they feel I am non-threatening..and of course sometimes people just don’t want to talk to me in RL

So generally most women I offer a drink to will say yes but sometimes they accept the drink and walk away and that’s fine…they are under no obligation to talk to me just because I offer them a drink

Why this is important is most women wont accept a drink from a stranger unless they feel comfortable because in SA some men think if a women says yes to a drink then she must now be expected to like him and there is an expectation of possible sex

So you find women in SA generally say no to a drinks offer from strangers unless you can break the ice and not come across as someone who just wants something physical

So yes I’m  young at heart but what that translates that to in my interaction with strangers is the way Im  good at reading people and finding a common topic that they feel comfortable talking about

But you notice I’m really bad at Internet forum interaction because people constantly misunderstand my motives or why I say something. But if you met me in RL I would make sense  ...I promise  :biggrin:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Congratulations Bruce, it isn't everyone that gets a thread made in their name.

Your post as  Obsidan resident SJW has finally payed off.

BTW, I still love you no matter what your backwards views are.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

as some may know, Gromnir's business is Constitutional Law.  in our field we is considered a brain surgeon, which don't mean that we is particular smart, but rather is an indication that we is highly specialized.  am not just a Con Law guy, but rather a First Amendment Con Law guy.  whatever you imagine regarding what Gromnir does, you is likely wrong.  first o' all, we make little money doing the lawyer thing-- our money comes from real estate. second, our clients is typical the people you would consider crossing the street just to spit 'pon.  we typical represent fringe religions (cults), gangs involved in illegal commercial endeavours, and strip club proprietors.  our paying clients is not particular huggable.

so what?  

the guys who run the exotic dancer business represent a considerable % o' our regular clientele, so we has learned more 'bout the trade than we might wish to.  is also the reason that we do not frequent strip clubs.  our moral compass is not what steers us away from strip clubs.  if a woman wants to make money by taking off her clothes, then more power to her.  unfortunately, the typical exotic dancer, even at high end clubs, is disproportionate likely to suffer from substance abuse problems.  exotic dancers who has previous been victims o' some kinda sexual abuse is actual the norm rather than the exception, and such abuse is disturbingly likely to have been exacted by a family member. etc. every time we get a strip club case that lasts more than a couple weeks, we end up having to hear the statistics and the testimonials.  like it or not, a large % o' exotic dancers is broken.  

am not interested in chicken and the egg debates.  doesn't actual matter to us.  that being said, the end result is that we cannot see exotic dancers w/o reflecting... and strip clubs enjoyment is predicated on the opposite o' any kinda serious internal reflection.  

'course we got no problem lacing up our nike sneakers (shoes likely cobbled together by underaged labor in a se asian sweatshop) or turning on our computer (the components which would not exist w/o the effort o' exploited workers in sub saharan africa mining any number o' precious resources)  so perhaps we is being a hypocrite.

regardless, we can't enjoy our self (phrasing) at a strip club. is not that we thinks such clubs is inherent evil or somesuch nonsense and we sure do not pass judgement 'pon those who do enjoy the entertainments provided by exotic dancers. unfortunate, our job has kinda ruined the experience for us.  go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Congratulations Bruce, it isn't everyone that gets a thread made in their name.

Your post as  Obsidan resident SJW has finally payed off.

BTW, I still love you no matter what your backwards views are.

:lol:

I actually think the initial reason for this thread was a veiled attack on me because how come Oby hasnt commented?

Surly if Oby wants to really talk to me he\she would have by now?

And I must say you are also one of the forum members who I feel we have never had any real issues...we have disagreed on some topics but it never gets personal "?

John Milton 

the guys who run the exotic dancer business represent a considerable % o' our regular clientele, so we has learned more 'bout the trade than we might wish to.  is also the reason that we do not frequent strip clubs.  our moral compass is not what steers us away from strip clubs.  if a woman wants to make money by taking off her clothes, then more power to her.  unfortunately, the typical exotic dancer, even at high end clubs, is disproportionate likely to suffer from substance abuse problems.  exotic dancers who has previous been victims o' some kinda sexual abuse is actual the norm rather than the exception, and such abuse is disturbingly likely to have been exacted by a family member. etc. every time we get a strip club case that lasts more than a couple weeks, we end up having to hear the statistics and the testimonials.  like it or not, a large % o' exotic dancers is broken.  

am not interested in chicken and the egg debates.  doesn't actual matter to us.  that being said, the end result is that we cannot see exotic dancers w/o reflecting... and strip clubs enjoyment is predicated on the opposite o' any kinda serious internal reflection.  

Another insightful post and something I want to add to, I wouldn't have brought this up but since you did it is relevant 

In SA most of the strippers are indeed on drugs, they typically use  a derivative of Meth called Cat..its basically an amphetamine like speed but they take lines over the course of there shift so they taking Cat for 8-12 hours every day 6 days a week

The result being addiction within 3-5 months but its a psychological addiction meaning they lack confidence unless they have a line

So when I go to strip clubs I treat the girls with respect and we get on well but you right, I dont have to deal with the eventual fallout 

Also I intentionally avoid asking them certain personal questions because the reality is I cant really help them with issues from there past...I have tried once or twice and it ended in disaster

John Milton 

I don't go to strip clubs because i have a moral objection to paying more for a single glass of beer than i'd pay for a whole 12-pack at the grocery store.

• Like 7

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't go to strip clubs because i have a moral objection to paying more for a single glass of beer than i'd pay for a whole 12-pack at the grocery store.

What if someone paid for you for everything..would you go then?

• Like 1

John Milton 

Is it Obscenity ... how does the First Amendment come in contact with exotic dancing proprietorship. 

obscenity is not typical the issue.

in Schad v. Borough of Mount Ephraim, the Court observed that “nude dancing is not without its First Amendment protections from official regulation.” however, most cities got zoning regulations.  the State can place limits on otherwise protected speech as long as the limits is incidental or is tpm (time/place/manner) restrictions.  for example, in spite o' protesters having the right to picket outside their place o' business on public sidewalks and streets, the government can limit nurses protesting in front o' hospitals if such protests violate previous established noise restrictions.  similarly, while burning your draft card during the 70s were clear a form o' symbolic expression, such destruction o' the draft card were nevertheless prohibited as the law requiring a personage to maintain their card were an incidental limit on speech.  am very much simplifying, but the typical burden the government must overcome when limiting protected speech is strict scrutiny, which requires a compelling government interest that is being achieved through the least restrictive means. strict scrutiny = government loss.  keep in mind that expense or cost o' government limitations do not affect "least restrictive" aspect o' the test.  tpm and incidental regulations is the way the government can limit speech w/o facing strict scrutiny... get intermediate scrutiny instead.  so, State actors typical limit nude dancing through zoning restrictions or... required accessorizing. 

gets complicated (thank goodness, or Gromnir would be outta work) but what it means is that governments is frequent trying to find new ways to place limits on exotic dancing that do not violate the constitutional protection o' such dancing.

Barnes v. Glen Theatre Inc

is an amusing case.  find a summary somewheres.  the thing is, the 5-4 plurality offered little guidance for lower courts... which were good for folks such as Gromnir.

HA! Good Fun! 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Those are the only times I've gone

• Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

as some may know, Gromnir's business is Constitutional Law.  in our field we is considered a brain surgeon, which don't mean that we is particular smart, but rather is an indication that we is highly specialized.  am not just a Con Law guy, but rather a First Amendment Con Law guy.  whatever you imagine regarding what Gromnir does, you is likely wrong.  first o' all, we make little money doing the lawyer thing-- our money comes from real estate. second, our clients is typical the people you would consider crossing the street just to spit 'pon.  we typical represent fringe religions (cults), gangs involved in illegal commercial endeavours, and strip club proprietors.  our paying clients is not particular huggable.

so what?  

'course we got no problem lacing up our nike sneakers (shoes likely cobbled together by underaged labor in a se asian sweatshop) or turning on our computer (the components which would not exist w/o the effort o' exploited workers in sub saharan africa mining any number o' precious resources)  so perhaps we is being a hypocrite.

regardless, we can't enjoy our self (phrasing) at a strip club. is not that we thinks such clubs is inherent evil or somesuch nonsense and we sure do not pass judgement 'pon those who do enjoy the entertainments provided by exotic dancers. unfortunate, our job has kinda ruined the experience for us.  go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

Dammit Gromnir. 

Looks like no more bachelor parties with the fellas for me anymore.  But more time grinding at the cardrooms instead.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

You're buying? I'm there.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I see, thanks. Obscenity is unrelated. Or less related. Appears more that the state wants to protect morality and engage pre-crime prevention. 

Not necessarily.

While zoning laws can indeed be goofy, they are often reasonable. ie: Where I live, you cannot set up a strip joint across the street from a church, or a school with children, or in an area otherwise just generally zoned residential. Most people would consider this reasonable zoning. I personally think it is.

Valsuelm for Chief Moral Police Commissioner of the Obsidian forums.

It's a position I'd hold for only a few moments. Just long enough to fire most of the moderators, not replace them, and then dissolve my position.

*A bunch of nonsense requiring a complete misinterpretation of what is written above*

You should smoke less weed.

This is not the first post where you've entirely misunderstood me, and responded in a manner where you imagine I wrote things I didn't and ignore what I did. I've seen you do it with others quite often as well. Possibly more often than not.

That said. You're 41?

For your sake I had hoped you were in your early 20s for awhile now, as you act less mature and more petty than many teenagers and even a few pre-teens I've known. At 41 you're more than likely a hopeless case. 41 year old SJWs are quite rare in the U.S., perhaps they are common in SA, I do not know.

Alas.

Either way, weed or not, your reading comprehension skills are lacking. Do something to fix them please.

Edited by Valsuelm

wot. You think a 40-50 year old man clubbing and smoking pot with school girls is terrible? If you knew that was happening around your area or at your school, what would you do?