Nom Nom Nom - The Food Thread

Keyrock

I had some baby back ribs and a bacon double cheeseburger and a food coma 

PS I made my own pickles a while back and they turned out delicious

Damn that sounds delicious....

What type of pickles did you use and how did you make them if you dont mind sharing

We tend to pickle a lot...not so much me but my family 

Just some small gherkins

Free games updated 3/4/21

Been doing so well, haven't lapsed into a food coma for months. Went to Curbside Cafe in Vista Village, had three bacon strips too many, almost a whole potato, two eggs, and a cinnamon roll the size and shape of a hardcover Tom Clancy novel. Proper mimosa, too, just a hint of orange juice. 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Friday, had a chorizo breakfast burrito with egg, potatoes, cheese, sour cream, no beans. Montezuma said, this is my revenge. Today during the draft, I snacked healthy with jalapeño bean dip instead of ranch, but his vengeance was only magnified. 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

I bought a charcoal grill today and decided to put it into immediate use (after letting the flames burn with the lid closed for 15 minutes to burn off any production oils).  The nice thing about living down south is that grilling season is 12 months a year, so a grill is an indispensable tool (it's arguably an indispensable tool anywhere).  I grilled up some cheddar bacon burgers with ketchup, mustard, pickle and onions.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guys through the years of cooking,experimenting with food  and having  to satisfy " munchy sessions " I have become  very skilled at making delicious toasted sandwiches ...tonight I made myself a sandwich with  

1. Madure Irish Cheddar and Blue Cheese
  2. Fried panchetta
  3. Avo salsa

It was soooooooooo nice 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I had a bit of chili left over so I broke out grill, cooked up some franks, and had chili dogs and beer.  Good times.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Was gonna make paella. Ended up getting a Chipotle burrito bowl. #ILoveHispanicsToo 

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I went to a Mexican restaurant at lunch today.  They made guacamole at my table right in front of me.  It cannot be overstated how much difference freshness makes as far as guac goes.  Ready-made guac is like not even the same type of food as fresh guac.  :p

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

y'know, we got nothing 'gaist pre-made guacamole... with two provisos:

1) fresh tomatoes do not handle refrigeration with their flavor intact

2) lime juice should be fresh squeezed

honest, in spite o' possible coloration changes which can be averted with proper storage, avocados survive limited refrigeration with aplomb.  most other guac ingredients will see little benefit from a at-your-table prep.  that being said, if you see the guacamole actual being made and the preparation involves lime juice from a bottle, send the server away with a polite dismissal... visibly mild disdain is perfect acceptable in such situations.

if you is gonna make guac at home and then store, be sure to only add your tomatoes immediate before serving.  you may add the fresh squeezed lime juice pre-consumption as the acid in the limes will helps prevent avocado oxidation.  

'course good avocados is always the primary factor in good guacamole.  kinda like watermelon, the seemingly perfect avocado can end up being a bit meh. no matter what guidelines and skills you got for produce choosing, you can be fooled by mother nature.  avocados is, nowadays, available year round, but your local grower (always your best source) is gonna have a peak season.  ask.  buy from source if possible, and don't be afraid to ask the farmer 'bout when his/her avocados is at their bestest.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There is something to be said for seeing it made in front of you. On occasion I have lifted the lid on a quintuplet of rolled tacos with 'everything', dabbed instead with green sour cream meant to evoke merely the idea of avocado. 

Today made time for a little In-N-Out. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Gonna need some real comfort food for tonight's game.

Went out and bought Prego mushroom pasts sauce, Kraft parmesan cheese, and Costco meatballs to serve with spaghetti. Haven't had this combo since I was in grade school.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Barbecue chicken, taters, and onions off the grill.  The only chicken I had on hand was skinless, so I had to start it off on some foil. otherwise it would have gotten super dry.  Making the best of a less than ideal situation, once I moved the chicken off the foil directly onto the grill to char the outside, I put the onions on the foil that had a pool of barbecue sauce and juices and folded it over to steam the onions with the collected goodness.  The onions came out bursting with juices and flavor and I got just the right amount of crunch.  Good times.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Tried something new ... tempura-fried avocado with cherry tomatoes and a strip of crispy bacon inside a mini corn-flour soft shell.

Details grassphopper details ?

How was it ? How was the Avo...did it taste okay?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The texture and flavor were great ... soft shell, crunchy tempura, soft avocado, crunchy bacon, ripe little whole tomatoes. I didn't make it myself ... we ordered appetizers at a brewery between movies.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Twice baked potatoes, onions steamed in butter on the grill, and chips with fresh homemade guacamole. 

Shaq-large-FINAL-2.gif

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

You can avoid dry chicken by brining it. Put it in some salty water for an hour or two, add rosemary to really keep it moist and flavorful. It will not take away from the bbq flavor either.

is gonna sound strange, but give pop a try for your brine.  get a 2-litre o' coke or rootbeer or dr. pepper (do NOT go diet.  artificial sweeteners make a brine taste vile.  am not kidding or exaggerating) and dissolve your salt into the pop via a nice bit o' boiling.  after salt is complete dissolved, cool the brine by adding ice or refrigerating.  make sure your brine is genuine cool before adding chicken as you do not wanna risk salmonella or other bacteria growth.

brines is particular useful when doing high-temp grilling with various rubs. keeps chicken juicy even when you gotta blacken to bring out flavor o' your rub.

two hours is likely the maximum amount o' time you wanna brine chicken pieces. as little as 30 minutes is okie dokie.  regardless, try pop... almost any kinda pop.  different flavor will be added to chicken. experiment. 

caution: lengthy pop brine will make your chicken taste odd.   is not necessarily bad, but is kinda weird when your grilled chicken breasts taste a bit like ham. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)