Nom Nom Nom - The Food Thread

Keyrock

We grilled some brats with pretzel buns. I've been obsessed with grilling whole green onions for everything so we did that as well. Added a little angry (horseradish) mustard and garlic and dill sour kraut. For dessert we grilled some peaches and had them with ice cream.

Followed that up with some tea by the fireplace

A good time was had by all

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Mexican Pepsi with cane sugar would be a treat, I bet.  

am suspecting you are correct, but keep in mind that the goal o' brine is not typical to make your chicken taste like pop.  is not gonna taste like pop regardless, but many o' the stronger flavors in the soda pop will be infused into the chicken to a lesser or greater degree depending on the time length o' the brine.  have never tried ginger ale, but 7-up is actual a good option for a pop brine. lemon and lime flavors. 

were actually 'bout ten years ago that we started frequent doing soda pop brine for chicken... 'bout the same time we switched to boneless and skinless chicken breasts as our most common grilling choice.  thighs is our actual preferred piece for almost any kinda chicken cooking, but like so many other folks, we became more health conscious over the years.  *sigh* boneless and skinless is not a fantastic choice for grilling-- tends towards dryness and flavor paucity. ick.  to combat the shortcomings o' our meat, we devised ways to improve to the flavor and moistness qualities o' our boneless and skinless breasts.  

rubs and brines.  

in any event, have fun experimenting with soda pop brines.  in addition to trying out different varieties o' pop, we would recommend 15-30 minute incremental increase o' brine time starting with 30 minutes as kinda your base.  perhaps 2 pieces brined 30 minutes, 2 pieces brined 45, 2 pieces brined 60 minutes, etc? 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Alpaca burger. Only two places in Sydney serve it and we were at Marrickville today. Been to the café before for breakfast a couple of times but first time for lunch and had to try it. I'd have to say the taste is amazing and the best burger I've ever had. It was prettty high with a skewer holding it together served on a wooden board with some chips. Knife and fork included. Girlfriend started to laugh to see how I was going to eat it. Also, the chips were made of cassava (according to the link). Never had cassava chips before and didn't know what they were made of when we were eating them. We could tell they weren't made from potato but something similar and had a great taste.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

am seeing that alinea moved back up the top 50 restaurants list to number 15. am recalling doing their 13 course bit the last time we were in chicago.  

were an intriguing culinary experience, but as Gromnir were still kinda hungry afterwards, we stopped at a white castle.  got 4 sliders, fries and a coke.  yum.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

have eaten at a few top 50, and am hating to admit how much we enjoyed ryugin.  the tokyo restaurant recent dropped from 20 to 31. is our opinion that the japanese restaurants has been considerable overrated-- the dining experience is often stressed over the food. even so, ryugin were almost flawless.  am recalling that we checked the wiki for ryugin once and it mentioned something 'bout fusion. HA! is japanese, period. as is expected with high rated japanese faire, each dish were aesthetic pleasing, but it were genuine delicious as well.  dishes we had experienced before were not.  what me mean is that what we thought were traditional dishes were done in ways to surprise and delight. were perhaps not actual traditional, but still very much japanese. 

we will note that as with most elite japanese restaurants, you is made to feel as if you is one dining mistake away from having ninjas emerge from the shadows to dispatch you silent and efficient so that a more worthy patron could be taking your table.  is a list o' dining dos and don'ts you is required to follow, and the staff, while efficient and polite, is anything but friendly. is also tiny.  

ryugin is one o' the few great tokyo restaurants that actually is.

HA! Good Fun!

ps 3 of top 50 is mexico city. we ain't never been to mexico city.  that may need to change.

Edited by Gromnir

Tomorrow for lunch I have decided to make myself a cheese fondue, I have perfected the recipe and always experiment with 3-4 Swiss or French cheeses

But tomorrow I will be trying something different..I will be using  a dark red wine instead of the normal dry white wine ..lets hope it works  :aiee:  :aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I made a french onion breakfast for my wife

I didn't have a lot of onions so I mixed up onions, shallots, and leeks and cooked them with some garlic, wine, and butter then put that in a cup with a poached egg. Put on some bacon in the same skillet that I cooked the onion mix and then chopped it up and threw a small bit of that in the cup too. Then some beef broth in that same skillet to pick up the leftover flavors  (+some spices) and a ladled a bit of that broth on the mix and topped it with a small amount of cheese. Oh, and a side of toast.

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

I made a french onion breakfast for my wife

I didn't have a lot of onions so I mixed up onions, shallots, and leeks and cooked them with some garlic, wine, and butter then put that in a cup with a poached egg. Put on some bacon in the same skillet that I cooked the onion mix and then chopped it up and threw a small bit of that in the cup too. Then some beef broth in that same skillet to pick up the leftover flavors  (+some spices) and a ladled a bit of that broth on the mix and topped it with a small amount of cheese. Oh, and a side of toast.

What a nice gesture, she must think you the best  :thumbsup:

Shady, its been years since anyone brought me  breakfast ...2 years 

If you and your wife separate you and I should get married then you can bring me breakfast in bed  everyday ..think how much fun that would be  :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm marinating chunks of pork loin in olive oil, lime juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and dill weed for kebabs on the grill later (I'll put onions, red bell peppers, and zucchini on the skewers too), along with corn on the cob.  In the meantime, I'm drinking micheladas.  Good times.

Edit:

gx9C6XZ.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

https://www.zomato.com/johannesburg/erwins-parkmore/menu#tabtop

We went to this really good Swiss restaurant today for lunch and afternoon drinks, the food was excellent ...I had an  excellent cheese fondue and the menu was very traditionally Austrian and Swiss and the owners are Swiss 

I'll  be honest the decor was austere and vibe  very formal and the various people in the restaurant all seemed very serious ...but we started drinking Tequilas almost immediately and our general vibe got more boisterous as we normally do ...it was  a great day

And when we left the manager told us next time we come we will  get our own table in the corner as we made lots of noise ....I have been told that  my whole life by some people so it just made me laugh as we are nosy but its not unreasonable  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Local supermarket started importing American snacks under the guise of being 'World Foods'.  The smores Poptarts were ok but Twinkies...they taste like what aliens would make if you told them what sponge cake was.  Weirdly though, I reckon they'd be pretty good deep fried  :dancing:

Local supermarket started importing American snacks under the guise of being 'World Foods'.  The smores Poptarts were ok but Twinkies...they taste like what aliens would make if you told them what sponge cake was.  Weirdly though, I reckon they'd be pretty good deep fried  :dancing:

curious enough, the deep fried twinkie, a staple at many county and state fairs, were invented by a guy from rugby, england... well, at least one story attributes to the englishman. co-invented with a guy from brooklyn at their fish 'n chips restaurant is how we heard it. regardless, pretty much any candy bar, pastry and ice cream confection has gotten the deep fried treatment.  

one o' our many sports when we were younger were swimming.  a regional swim meet could be an all-day or multi-day affair.  if you were scheduled for multiple events, you would often need wait a considerable 'mount o' time between time when you were actual in the pool.  *chuckle* am suspecting we ate our weight in twinkies and candy bars many times over during those interminable waiting periods at swim meets. finish 100m fly and then need wait 30 minutes or an hour for next event.  *groan* needed replenish lost calories and sugary snacks were readily available options.  twinkies and candy bars traveled well.  the thing is, we never genuine liked twinkies, but they were convenient and loaded with sugar.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

am embarrassed to admit that we know the original twinkie were banana. 1930? original twinkie were filled with banana pudding instead o' that horrible white ooze that is utilized these days.  unfortunately, there were some kinda south american banana shortage that led to a change being required by the makers o' twinkies.  nowadays the banana twinkie is having the sponge cake flavored with banana, yes? the original sounds a bit more tasty to Gromnir. real sponge cake with banana pudding.  bet it would taste even better deep fried.

made mexican chorizo yesterday.  always let  our chorizo have a day in the fridge to fully absorb spices. gonna have chorizo breakfast burritos for dinner.  gonna smell chorizo in our home for the next three days.  

as an aside, if anybody gots a good chorizo recipe they can recommend, we would be appreciative.  the current recipe we is using is fine.  just fine.  we like "just fine " chorizo as we really do enjoy chorizo, but am always on the lookout for a better alternative.  dunno.  we do genuine labor with a mortar and pestle as we turn cumin, coriander and clove into powder.  use good pork and spices.  nevertheless, our chorizo is just fine.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

am embarrassed to admit that we know the original twinkie were banana. 1930? original twinkie were filled with banana pudding instead o' that horrible white ooze that is utilized these days.  unfortunately, there were some kinda south american banana shortage that led to a change being required by the makers o' twinkies.  nowadays the banana twinkie is having the sponge cake flavored with banana, yes? the original sounds a bit more tasty to Gromnir. real sponge cake with banana pudding.  bet it would taste even better deep fried.

Yeah the white ooze is pretty gross, I'd much rather something a bit more 'real'.  Speaking of the ooze, it all pooled under my oven baked twinkie in a puddle of translucent, sticky glucose...yum!

dear lord.

from april through october, our community has a weekly event involving gourmet food trucks.  every sunday we gets five or six local gourmet trucks peddling their culinary wares at a park within our gates from 4-8PM. one or two such vehicles is having traditional truck food such as burgers or barbecue.  is typical one desert-specific truck in the convoy.  the remaining three trucks will be unique.  mexican-korean fusion. personal wood-fire pizzas. peruvian cuisine. etc.

the july 3rd event were a bit different in that we also had live bands, extended hours and ten trucks... including a bacon truck.  bacon. everything bacon. 

"Bacon brownies, topped with whipped cream, drizzled with Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup, and more Bacon bits."

"Slow-Cooked Pulled Pork, mixed with Hickory Smoked Bacon, tossed in our Bacon BBQ Sauce, then topped with a tangy Carolina Slaw, topped with chipayo sauce!"

"Sharp Cheddar Cheese and Hickory Smoked Bacon Crumbles, fried to a crispy chip. Served w/ Sour Cream."

"Our most delicious bacon-wrapped bites of brilliance – Our famous Mac ’n Cheese balls wrapped in applewood bacon and deep fried."

etc.

we ordered multiple items from the menu, including the deep-fried mac n' cheese balls, wrapped in bacon. 

am feeling our age this AM.  we can no longer overeat w/o suffering consequences.  long gone is the days when we could make management cry at an all-you-can eat breakfast joint, followed by a slab o' baby-back ribs for lunch, and topped off with the lion's share o' a pizza for dinner.  nope.  we need exercise moderation or feel the wrath o' gastro-intestinal rebellion. in our defense, the mac n' cheese balls were delicious. 'course we current feel as if there is a large rock rolling 'round in our gut... a bacon wrapped rock.

ah well, happy fourth.  am gonna take a prilosec and endure severe bloating and cold sweats for the next 24-36 hours. it were worth it. 

perhaps we shouldn't o' had so much homemade guacamole for lunch?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

one or two such vehicles is having traditional truck food such as burgers or barbecue.  is typical one desert-specific truck in the convoy. 

HA! Good Fun!

*image*

the ironic part being that the mechanical keyboard we is using started doing the double-s nonsense.  am hoping there is dog hair or somesuch simple impediment gumming up the works.  perhaps bacon?

HA! Good Fun!