The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

From everything that I have read, combat seems to be streamlined. It's not inherently a bad thing. I just it isn't dumbed down in the wrong way.

My biggest hope is that we get good C&C on par with Alpha Protocol. I don't know if it will be able to compete with The Age of Decadence in this area.

I was mildly curious about it. Then I saw a video showing a fight that involved three characters taking about 30-50 dagger swings collectively to down one target. Yeaaaaaaah, no.

Now, don't be like that. It's still in development, right? I'm sure they'll buff dagger damage in the final release. 

Since funcroc was apparently assasinated by Feargus, someone else has to pick up the slack and come up with everyone who is working on this game. Now with updates!

Anthony Davis confirmed few of people working on the game (outside the few we already know of):

Brian Heins - Project Director
Matt Singh - Lead Producer

Tim Cain - Programmer

Dan Spitzley - Programmer

Constant Gaw - Lead level designer

Brian Menze - Lead Artist

Matt MacLean - Lead/Senior Writer (NEW!)

From LinkedIn:

Paul Kirsch - Narrative Designer

Dini McMurry - Level Designer

Matthew Perez - Area Design

Rose Gomez - Associate Producer (NEW!)

Lindsey Laney - Artist (NEW!)

Maybe:

Kathryn Megan Starks - Narrative Designer on unannounced project

Edited by Flouride
  • Like 3

Hate the living, love the dead.

Some new information by Brian Heins, it sounds good, though I'm a little pessimistic that all the resources of the empire will suddenly be absent when it comes to resolving quests.

Thanks for the news. It does indeed sound good. Ha, have you ever worked for a big organization/company? Just because the group has vast resources, doesn't mean individuals can access them without going through vast amounts of bureaucracy.

Now, I like this paragraph:

"In countless RPGs, playing a villain means being an arsehole. It means extorting NPCs, murdering innocents and generally being very rude to everyone. It’s a sort of aimless evil, being bad for the sake of it. It’s possible to be a nasty creep like that in Tyranny, as well, but there’s also the potential for more nuanced villainy."

So we can be a villain with being rude/**** evil? Good stuff. I like my villains to be the iron fist in a velvet glove.

Some new information by Brian Heins, it sounds good, though I'm a little pessimistic that all the resources of the empire will suddenly be absent when it comes to resolving quests.

Thanks for the news. It does indeed sound good. Ha, have you ever worked for a big organization/company? Just because the group has vast resources, doesn't mean individuals can access them without going through vast amounts of bureaucracy.

Now, I like this paragraph:

"In countless RPGs, playing a villain means being an arsehole. It means extorting NPCs, murdering innocents and generally being very rude to everyone. It’s a sort of aimless evil, being bad for the sake of it. It’s possible to be a nasty creep like that in Tyranny, as well, but there’s also the potential for more nuanced villainy."

So we can be a villain with being rude/**** evil? Good stuff. I like my villains to be the iron fist in a velvet glove.

It seems Obsidian is listening to my complaints about what NOT to do with evil.  :dancing:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This "psychopatic evil" always annoys the hell out of me. Sadly it's exactly the only evil stuff most games have to offer. I'll guess it's much easier to write / the writers don't like to think about anything deeper than that and the players usually don't care either.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, I always wished that evil would be more "selfish-evil", As an evil character, I'd be very willing to kill or betray someone if it meant I could get a cool weapon or cash.

There's just no benefit to kicking the dog just for the evulz.

Yeah, I always wished that evil would be more "selfish-evil", As an evil character, I'd be very willing to kill or betray someone if it meant I could get a cool weapon or cash.

There's just no benefit to kicking the dog just for the evulz.

Robbing everyone blind is pretty much the standard way of playing open world RPGs already.

How can you move beyond selfishness or power-abuse in video-game evil is still beyond me.

As long as the game isn't dull as dishwater like The Age of Decadence was, I'd say that's a worth trade-off.

And of course, I only noticed I typed "worth" instead of "worthwhile" four days later. 

I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't come back to point it out...

Lindsey Laney - Artist (NEW!)

Ruh roh, they found me!

Quick, grab her and interrogate her for information!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

You'll never take me alive, coppers!

You are only making things harder for yourself if you do not talk, one of your co-workers will take the deal we are offering in a split second!

I'm expecting a flood of info on the 15th. A french paper magazine is making a paper on the game on their April 15th issue and I don't think it's about the GDC presentation. So I'm expecting some sort of NDA to be soon lifted.

I'm expecting a flood of info on the 15th. A french paper magazine is making a paper on the game on their April 15th issue and I don't think it's about the GDC presentation. So I'm expecting some sort of NDA to be soon lifted.

That would be sweet. Though after Stellaris gets released there should be a flood of info as well as Paradox's PR people can devote more time on Tyranny.