Why do people watch/love "Let's play..." videos?

Heijoushin

am I the only one who watches Let's Plays to avoid playing the actual game? :D really, I'm in it only for the fast forward button

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The only time I watch Let's play videos is when I want to see if a game is worthy of my money. I zap a few minutes through the video and if I like what I see then cool.

Watching whole videos "just for lolz" is too boring, imo.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I sometimes watch a let's play of a game i'm thinking of acquiring to gauge its suitability to my taste, however finding an individual who is not a squeeing idiot with a case of verbal diarrhea is a trial in and of itself.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm surprised by how popular they are, but my kids seem to love to watch some of them.  I think it is generational.  

I think this is pretty spot on

My younger siblings enjoy watching them and I just don't get it. I get zero enjoyment out of watching someone else play

LP threads are a different story but I have a hard time with videos... I prefer news articles to news videos even. If I click on a news link and a video starts playing and no article under then that tab gets closed quick

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

But that's really (arguably) a different matter entirely, though. I will never, ever watch news videos...ever. They're pretty universally horrible compared to just quickly reading an actual article (although journalistic/news standards are so low regardless of how you're receiving it, one wonders why I bother with the news at all these days...).

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I have that same beef with the ever more popular video guides for games. Sure a video guide is super useful for a jumping puzzle or some such, but why would I want to watch 45 minutes of hell where someone with an annoying, nasal voice tells me how to gear my toon and blabbles on endlessly? No thanks just give me an article to skim through, FFS.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

That's actually bugging me for years. Same with other tutorial videos for whatever software. Instead of reading about your issue for maybe 5 minutes, you are forced to watch some boring 20 to 30 minutes video. Ain't nobody got time for that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I have that same beef with the ever more popular video guides for games. Sure a video guide is super useful for a jumping puzzle or some such, but why would I want to watch 45 minutes of hell where someone with an annoying, nasal voice tells me how to gear my toon and blabbles on endlessly? No thanks just give me an article to skim through, FFS.

Yeah, that's terrible, especially if you're looking for just one bit of the video...and now you have to jump back and forth trying to find it using YouTube's awful video player (or heaven forbid, somewhere even worse)...a truly abysmal experience.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The only Let's Play video I've ever watched is the one where Stefanie Joosten (motion and voice actress for the character Quiet) was playing MGSV.  And I certainly wasn't watching it for her gaming (though she's not half bad -- err okay she's better than me).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I usually watch LPs on my laptop while playing MMOs, waiting in a lobby or for matchmaking to find a game, or the like. It also ensures I'll never throw away money at a point and click adventure game ever again. I also find them entertaining to watch (or at least listen to, if my boss-sense is tingling) while I'm at work. There are some LPers whose personalities I enjoy immensely (Helloween4545 and the former Freelance Astronauts come to mind for me) and there are others who get me to critically engage with a game (CannibalK9's LP of the Void/Turgor).

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

It also ensures I'll never throw away money at a point and click adventure game ever again.

ahaha, wow. I find it funny that I thought the same way when I first watched a LP of an adventure game on YouTube :lol: "Hmmm, I don't have to solve puzzles anymore and can just read all the dialogue between characters with no interference. Nice!"

The exception would be The Last of Us cinematic play through which I thought was quite amazing. 

linky?

Oh yeah, nevermind how many people make blind Let's Plays (i.e. first time playing) and label them as "walkthrough" or "full playthrough". People who do that need to get slapped.

couldn't agree more. I only enjoy walkthroughs where the person playing it only shows his best attempts, or shows something special (secret locations, tricks etc.) during his play-through.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Yeah, that's terrible, especially if you're looking for just one bit of the video...and now you have to jump back and forth trying to find it using YouTube's awful video player (or heaven forbid, somewhere even worse)...a truly abysmal experience.

The good YouTubers, if they're specifically creating a guide to help people get past puzzles/challenges, will put timestamps in the video to make things easy to find.

[not specifically aimed at Barti or majestic, just a general observation] I do get a kick out of how many people on these forums fall into the "Harumph, back in my day we read actual words on a page, like civilized people.  Get off my lawn." camp.  Man, and I thought I was one of the older (39) members here.  I guess not.  :wowey: [/not specifically aimed at Barti or majestic, just a general observation]

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What do you expect? This is (more or less) the successor of the Black Isle forums. :p Not that I would know anything about that, given I was only three when BG1 came out...

What do you expect? This is (more or less) the successor of the Black Isle forums. :p Not that I would know anything about that, given I was only three when BG1 came out...

True, I only joined these forums in 2012, that makes me a toddler or maybe a preschooler in forum years.  :blush:

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread.  I do agree there are a ton of really annoying YouTubers out there.  I'm not into the whole overreact to silly jump scare games or act goofy while playing meme games created specifically for Twitch and YouTube stuff (glances in the direction of Goat Simulator, I am Bread, etc.).  Like with any other medium, there is a big pile of garbage and mediocrity to sift through to get to the good stuff; what is defined as garbage, mediocrity, and good stuff will, of course, vary from person to person.  I guess I am more inclined to watch Twitch or YouTube because I've completely abandoned traditional television.  I don't even own a television, haven't in years.  I don't miss it one bit.  YouTube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc. have completely replaced television as a medium to me.  So, when I get home from work and I'm looking for something to have on while I make myself something to eat, I turn to Twitch and Azubu, and Hitbox and such to see if there are any pro DotA2 games on.  If not, I'll fire up a video from one of my preferred YouTubers to have as background noise while I prepare food and then consume it.  It's a role that television used to take, but now television is obsolete to me and has been replaced.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I watch Lets Plays a good deal, but mainly because I have a second monitor attached at work so it's a combination of something interesting and noise in the background.  I've been watching some Lets Plays of Keyrocks and enjoy them quite a bit.   I don't follow anyone specifically on youtube, but throw something on that I may have some interest in, but know that I don't have time for.  To me, it's really nothing different than watching a show on tv, and like Keyrock just said, I don't even watch that anymore.

Started watching his Soma playthrough today and have to say it's nice to see someone struggle with a game, (Finding the omni tool) because I do it all time and it makes me feel a little better about my playstyle.

Edited by SadExchange
  • Like 1

Started watching his Soma playthrough today and have to say it's nice to see someone struggle with a game, (Finding the omni tool) because I do it all time and it makes me feel a little better about my playstyle.

I definitely have my share of facepalm moments.  :facepalm: My videos aren't heavily edited, in fact, the vast majority are completely unedited.  So, you're going to see my failings and I fail quite a bit.  :blush:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

[not specifically aimed at Barti or majestic, just a general observation] I do get a kick out of how many people on these forums fall into the "Harumph, back in my day we read actual words on a page, like civilized people.  Get off my lawn." camp.  Man, and I thought I was one of the older (39) members here.  I guess not.  :wowey: [/not specifically aimed at Barti or majestic, just a general observation]

Yeah, get off my lawn, dammit!

Not specifically meant as a direct answer: It's a matter of efficiency. It takes 10 seconds to read a stat priority list for e.g. a World of Warcraft spec while it definitely takes much longer on video even if there are bookmarks. ;)

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The exception would be The Last of Us cinematic play through which I thought was quite amazing. 

linky?

Here's the first two episodes. Seven episodes in all. Download Links in the descriptions if you want to download the 1080p mp4s. Not having a console, I watched this and found it riveting. Especially Episode 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRqnZzmAg4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsv4V3O7gI4

• Like 1

All the videos are blocked in germany, so I'll have to use a proxy. Though, what I've seen so far (in really low resolution) looks really well done. Great editing. Though I'd say they could have cut down on the "played action scenes" a bit more.

Edited by Lexx

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know of a good Witcher 3 playthrough/LP series on YouTube? by "good" I mean:
1) the LP shouldn't be "blind", as in the guy playing has to have played through the whole game at least once and know what to do;

2) all the filler combat and failed attempts should be cut out, some editing should've been done;

3) this is a stretch, but where there's branching in the story, the LPer should ideally show all possible outcomes.

I know of many JRPG playthroughs done this way, they are awesome, but I can't find a decent LP of WItcher 3. HALP!

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said: