Xmas Plans

BruceVC

I was planning on going to the Cavaliers v. Warriors Christmas Day game. But then some shmuck charitable, loyal, and very wealthy Warriors fans actually bought my tickets at a 600%+ markup. I guess I'll be at home instead watching hoops on TV all day...

scrooge-mcduck-christmas-carol.jpg

...while counting the benjamins.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

our veneration o' dread Cernunnos is the reason we continue to celebrate halloween.  when children come to our door in the darkness o' october 31, we challenge them thus: Do you fear the Lord of Antlers? if they show proper humility and obeisance, we offer them a treat-- a symbolic reward from the king o' the underworld's everfull purse.  or not.

shiodome_christmas_lights.jpg

christmas in japan? 

*shrug*

we celebrate 'cause we can.  we never begrudge a soul for finding harmless joy in small things.  

HA! Good Fun!

That photo looks great....nice festive spirit 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Won't be doing much on Christmas day since we've got family coming in from Ockerland on Boxing Day, big meal then though. Always fun having a turkey when it's 26 degrees and 90% humidity.

I don't know why we use the tree?Maybe someone else knows?

It's a midwinter/ yule symbol appropriated off Hibernian Druids.

• Like 1

It's interesting that so many Scandinavian/Germanic elements have seeped into Christmas.. but then again culture mixes, there are after all so many English/American tradition in our holiday now. Especially the tendency to start in October ;)

As for what we'll be doing, Purple hair will come with me to the country and celebrate it with my brother and close family. Should be nice and as we say "hyggeligt".

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I used to love Christmas but the crazy consumerism, even if I don't have to partake in it, have made me increasingly tired of it these last few years. This year has reached a new height, I just can't deal with it. I'll go to dinner with my parents on Christmas Eve to avoid the experience of my mother having a meltdown. I'll probably head home early and have a quiet drink.

No decorations, gifts or stuff like that this year for me.

Don't really consider myself particularly cynical or anything all in all but Christmas has been really getting to me for some reason.

Will be nice to have some time off though.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I used to love Christmas but the crazy consumerism, even if I don't have to partake in it, have made me increasingly tired of it these last few years. This year has reached a new height, I just can't deal with it. I'll go to dinner with my parents on Christmas Eve to avoid the experience of my mother having a meltdown. I'll probably head home early and have a quiet drink.

No decorations, gifts or stuff like that this year for me.

Don't really consider myself particularly cynical or anything all in all but Christmas has been really getting to me for some reason.

Will be nice to have some time off though.

I hear you about the falseness of consumerism perhaps undermining the mood  but its always been like that ....in fact consumerism permeates all aspects of society but you just need to ignore it and focus on the significance of the day. Remember any economy really benefits from holidays like Xmas, I can't stress this point enough especially in depressed economies..like mine 

So for me I always leave my Xmas shopping to the last moment, still haven't  started, and end up having to hit the malls when they at there busiest...getting very irritated with the madness but then its over. And then I can relax and appreciate the holiday spirit :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's interesting that so many Scandinavian/Germanic elements have seeped into Christmas.. but then again culture mixes, there are after all so many English/American tradition in our holiday now. Especially the tendency to start in October ;)

As for what we'll be doing, Purple hair will come with me to the country and celebrate it with my brother and close family. Should be nice and as we say "hyggeligt".

When you say " the country " is this like a farm you go to? 

John Milton 

Somehow I think if Jesus visited a Wal Mart on black Friday morning and saw people fighting each other over a slight discount on second rate merchandise made by slave labor in a country where the government supports groups who want to kill the people fighting over those cheap products he would be horrified. How much more so when he hears it's all to honor Him. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Somehow I think if Jesus visited a Wal Mart on black Friday morning and saw people fighting each other over a slight discount on second rate merchandise made by slave labor in a country where the government supports groups who want to kill the people fighting over those cheap products he would be horrified. How much more so when he hears it's all to honor Him. 

Sure, I hear you :)

But is that what Xmas is really about? That for me is just an aspect of Xmas and even then its just the buying things over the season part of Xmas

John Milton 

Well it is pretty clear how Jesus felt about Capitalism in general. :)

But the concept of Capitalism didn't really exist in the days of Jesus....so is it really fair to say " Jesus would be opposed to Capitalism " 

I would say you right if you think Capitalism is about greed or abuse of workers for example. But I don't consider that a fair description of Capitalism?

John Milton 

Actually the way I read it Jesus was the ultimate libertarian. He asked us to help the poor, to follow Gods commandments, to give generously. He didn't ask up to vote in a government to take our money away and do that for us. He asked us to CHOOSE to do it, not be compelled to do it. Paying taxes that help the poor does me no credit because I HAD to pay the taxes. When I go into Toys R Us and by $80 of toys and take them to the Marine Corps Toys for Tots drop off, that was me making a choice.

I think if more folks spent time studying what Jesus was actually about they would realize how far off base many of the organized Christian denominations are. As are we all.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm pretty sure that if that famous carpenter ever existed he saw his fair share of gruesome stuff on a daily basis. A lot of bad things happened back then, every single day. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

right up until he needed a place to have his passover observance, at which point he relied 'pon one o' his wealthy followers to put out a nice spread for his disciples and himself. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

not adopted.  adoption is a legal process.  there were no adoption.  

also, if such a birth happened today in cleveland or bakersfield 2015, adoption would not be necessary.  child is the legal son/daughter o' the parents.  assume betty is 9 months pregnant and she marries bill the day before she gives birth to fred.  we do not ask if bill is actual the father o' fred.  bill IS the legal father o' fred.  paternity is a different issue.  no need for adoption.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

no.  you don't read, do you?

HA! Good Fun!

Why atheist celebreting X-Mas?

I find it strange that there are people that celebrate Christmas, because in Finland we celebrate Joulu (comes from Germanic Yule), which is just about during Winter solstice (day when daylight time is shortest or like here Sun never rises), which just happen to happen bit after middle of Joulukuu (Month of Yule, or Yule moon), in here northern side of the sphere. We even have Joulupukki (Yule Goat - which those bizarre English speaking people call Santa Claus or Father Christmas and they even often get wrong his place of origin). It just also happens to be the day when Christian world celebrate birth of Jesus their Savior and Christ, even though he was born during early summer months according to bible, but maybe that was too close to Easter (which is also about same time as another Finnish pagan celebration, but that is another story) also Winter solstice was already the most major yearly celebration in Rome Empire, so it probably also was easy festive to nominate for celebrating birth of Saviour by church in three hundred something AD.

Of course I kid quite lot in this post as over 90% of Finnish people are Christian and for majority of them Celebrating birth of Jesus is main part of Christmas, even though we still call it by its pagan name. Although also modernized version of that pagan ceremony is big part for many especially in households with children as Santa-Claus (Joulupukki) that modernized version is invented by Coca-Cola is nice and simple excuse to give presents for the other people mainly children. Especially when celebration is during quite depressing time as there is so little daylight, so it is natural time to keep holiday from work and school and do something fun and cheerful.

Why atheist celebreting X-Mas?

Christmas has become more than a christian holiday in the west. The commercialization and the various non-christian traditions have made it extremely accessible as a holiday. In vancouver I know many Sikhs, Buddhists, and Hindus who all celebrate christmas because they like the traditions and symbols involved. Santa, christmas trees, gift exchange, the feasts, the message of family and togetherness, in a society drifting further apart due to the internet its very appealing. Oh, and the lights too.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg