3.00 patch teased by Josh on SA

10 days ago, by Josh, regarding shades spamming shadows:

until recently, we didn't have an instruction set limit to the number of times an action could be done, so we just used timers

Excellent news. Hopefully all kith enemies will also be upgraded to use x/combat instead of timers for abilities and talents.

More Josh, probably already reported:

For patch 3.0, the area designers have been assigned a list of areas (mostly late game and lower Od Nua) to remove redundant encounters and improve the ones that remain.

One of my favorite areas in the game is the Pearlwood Bluff cave (I just love "oh I wonder what's in there!" caves and abandoned houses in the middle of nowhere -- the area above is also amazing). However, the encounter was a letdown; copy-pasted darguls. Instead of "ah, just a bunch of darguls", my reaction would have been "nice! a special one" if just one of the darguls was unique.
So a single dargul would need a makeover.. ez. By changing its name to [something sinister] Dargul, slightly improving its end./health, accuracy and defenses, giving it an interesting on-hit effect and maybe if possible even a new color or two, you'd suddenly have a unique dargul encounter! All other darguls would be jelly.

• Like 3

qqozUmr.jpg

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ my money's on your actual blood to be provided in copious amounts through a USB syringe (sold separately.)

• Like 2

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I can't remember who asked about it, but someone ITT linked me to a community reported bug about character models being upscaled in 1440p. I don't think that's happening. QA didn't see anything weird about it, Roby (one of our programmers) didn't see anything to suggest that, and I'm now playing at 1440p and it doesn't look like it's being upscaled. shrugnz9.gif

Edit: Pallegina's stats are fine. Her only problems are the lack of Faith and Conviction (which will be fixed in the next patch), and choosing Flames of Devotion rather than Lay on Hands at level 1.

One of her new (Patch 3.0) talents, Vielo Vidório, is based on Flames of Devotion and is widely liked by QA. It gives nearby allies an attack speed boost whenever FoD is used.

It's just to allow Pallegina to have the same number of options as player-made paladins. Her other talent is Wrath of the Five Suns. It shoots out five Burn damage projectiles when she uses Sworn Enemy.

Will these be added to Pallegina's list of auto-level abilites/talents?

Also, will story companions' abilities and talents be automatically assigned in Story Time mode?

Edited by hamskii

kqyBR11.jpg

Source

Now that I cant unsee it, I have a silly question. In the Eora alphabet, is the "ST" combination of letters the only one with that weird connection or are there other combinations? Lore wise, is it supposed to denote some different pronunciation? Am I just being cray cray?

It's possible we won't be able to craft legendary weapons (or if we can, it's a one time thing), and will instead can only find them as loot. Keep in mind, there are only enough ingredients in the entire world to enchant 3 superb weapons and 2 superb armors. Unless, of course, WM2 adds new superb recipes or more ingredients.

Now that I cant unsee it, I have a silly question. In the Eora alphabet, is the "ST" combination of letters the only one with that weird connection or are there other combinations? Lore wise, is it supposed to denote some different pronunciation? Am I just being cray cray?

It's just a ligature.

• Like 1

It's just a ligature.

In addition, take note that ligatures can be turned off in the settings. Since it's optional, it shouldn't do anything to the pronouncation.

Superb needs dragon stuff to craft right. So Legendary needs... Thaos bodyparts maybe?

There have to be some parts of Eothas still lying around the White March ...

I can see it now....  To enchant this plate armor to legendary level you need two Eothas Nipples of holy gouging.  That and some glue.  :D

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

Superb needs dragon stuff to craft right. So Legendary needs... Thaos bodyparts maybe?

There have to be some parts of Eothas still lying around the White March ...

I can see it now....  To enchant this plate armor to legendary level you need two Eothas Nipples of holy gouging.  That and some glue.  :D

Makes you wonder what the codpiece will do... 

• Like 2

bother?

At least you'd be ready for a real "rooster"fight.  (I think ****fight will be censored.  Rat bastards!)

The only thing about creating a huge variety of enchants is that it does tend to diminish the items in the game.  I don't really mind that, but it does seem that you can sometimes get an item early and use it the whole time, or least a huge chunk of the game, because you just put your custom enchantments on it and the new gear you find ends up being a sidegrade rather than an upgrade.

• Like 1

bother?

At least you'd be ready for a real "rooster"fight.  (I think ****fight will be censored.  Rat bastards!)

The only thing about creating a huge variety of enchants is that it does tend to diminish the items in the game.  I don't really mind that, but it does seem that you can sometimes get an item early and use it the whole time, or least a huge chunk of the game, because you just put your custom enchantments on it and the new gear you find ends up being a sidegrade rather than an upgrade.

I like that though because it allows for more customizable character builds. For example, the blunderbuss cipher is basically possible because you can grab Leadspitter and keep optimizing it over the course of the game. Lately I've been playing with Carnage barbarians and there are *so many* different builds based on which weapon set you give your barbarian (tall grass for an overbearing barb, tidefall for a tanking barb, strike hard for a debuffing barb, etc). If the game were just "oh, I found a +3 sword, time to ditch my +2 sword" it would lose some of that character- building complexity. 

Of course the loot items that are for builds you aren't playing, yeah, you end up with a lot of useless-to-you stuff. But almost every unique weapon in the game can have a character built around it. 

The only thing I don't like is that some builds don't become possible till you get certain enabling weapons and often you don't get those enabling weapons till late in the game (see: Godansthuyr). I hope that we get a PoE II at some point and can import weapons from the first game.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 1

The only thing about creating a huge variety of enchants is that it does tend to diminish the items in the game. I don't really mind that, but it does seem that you can sometimes get an item early and use it the whole time, or least a huge chunk of the game, because you just put your custom enchantments on it and the new gear you find ends up being a sidegrade rather than an upgrade.

I think this was sort of one of the design goals. In the very early stages, Josh talked about enchanting and said he would rather avoid "no brainer" upgrades, and always have trade-offs in place instead. This did not come true with regards to the enchanting system per se, but it is true in the fact that—as you mentioned—most items you find can be a "sidegrade" rather than an upgrade. Some of them are going to be very good, special, or unique; most of them will be par for the course.

To be honest, I like the fact that I can keep the same item for the whole game if I want to, and it will remain mechanically viable. Appreciate it's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but it is certainly mine.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 5

I do too, but I can see where it could be off putting. I know some gamers like a steady progression of gear. For myself, I like the RP aspect of 'your' weapon. Imagine Elric dumping his sword because he killed the kobold king and found a kickass club or something.

• Like 1

bother?