Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

I disagree that she should have been kicked out.

Her behavior condemned, sure, and possibly the requirement of a written apology to the person she spoke to thus.
However, unless a big-enough stink is raised about it online I have a feeling that the faculty members won't say anything about it and she may even be lauded by her fellow students for that display.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Meh. It's a bunch of upper-class kids screaming about nothing and who will do nothing but tweet about it. Dude should just tell them to **** off and leave it at that.

Do we know its a bunch of "upper-class" kids?  Yale (and Ivy League schools in general) don't have ridiculously high admissions requirements and presumably would have tuition assistance in addition to financial aid to pull in highly qualified but poorer students into their freshman population.

We don't, I just assume so.

Most faculty members (and particularly ones without iron clad tenure) aren't going to tell a student to **** off.  Just not going to happen.

Why? Does the "free speech space" not extend to faculty?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Most faculty members (and particularly ones without iron clad tenure) aren't going to tell a student to **** off.  Just not going to happen.

Why? Does the "free speech space" not extend to faculty?

Yep.  There is a world of difference between a paid professional educator and a student.  Sure, they could tell a student to bleep off, but that doesn't mean they get to keep their jobs.  Students have to do considerably more to not be allowed to pay money to go to school.   

So his only option is to be yelled at if he wants to keep his job?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Pretty much. Mind you, he can seek retribution in more subtle and damaging ways. A professor that hates you can screw you over academically.

Lots of jobs, like mine, involve soaking abuse. You just stab them when they're not looking. This is why you be nice to people ;)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

He doesn't have to stand there and be yelled out, no.  But he really doesn't have the recourse of yelling back (unless iron-clad tenure) without having it have some ramifications.  Students and faculty are not held to the same standard.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The New Intolerance of Student Activism

Here's an article on this whole kerfuffle.

Here's something new that I hadn't heard of:

The most recent incident occurred over the weekend. During a conference on freedom of speech, Greg Lukianoff reportedly said, “Looking at the reaction to Erika Christakis’s email, you would have thought someone wiped out an entire Indian village.” An attendee posted that quote to Facebook. “The online Facebook post led a group of Native American women, other students of color and their supporters to protest the conference in an impromptu gathering outside of LC 102, where the Buckley event was taking place,” the Yale Daily News reported.

A bit later the protesters disgraced themselves (emphasis added):

Around 5:45 p.m., as attendees began to leave the conference, students chanted the phrase “Genocide is not a joke” and held up written signs of the same words. Taking Howard’s reminder into account, protesters formed a clear path through which attendants could leave.

A large group of students eventually gathered outside of the building on High Street,
where several attendees were spat on
, according to Buckley fellows who were present during the conference.
One Buckley Fellow added that he was spat on and called a racist. Another, who identifies as a minority himself, said he has been labeled a “traitor” by several.

These students were offended by one person’s words, and were free to offer their own words in turn. That wasn’t enough for them, so they spat on different people who listened to those words and called one minority student a traitor to his race. In their muddled ideology, the Yale activists had to destroy the safe space to save it.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Intolerant student activism is hardly a new phenomenon.

Although the silliness of it being over halloween costumes is pretty comical.  We live in a low stakes world, apparently.  Maybe someone can direct these people towards police brutality or something actually important? 

Although the silliness of it being over halloween costumes is pretty comical.  We live in a low stakes world, apparently.  Maybe someone can direct these people towards police brutality or something actually important? 

I'd rather direct them to a place with actual hardship, or one that won't put up with this endless stream of stupidity but if there was such a place I might move there.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Nazi SJWs are called Nazi SJWs for a reason. )

\

P.S. Their logic on the Halloween thing doesn't make sense. It'll be like me saying it is evil, racist, and sexist if a woman or a black person dresses up as Superman. COME ON.

I*shrug* Nazi SJWs will Nazi SJW.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

P.S. Their logic on the Halloween thing doesn't make sense. It'll be like me saying it is evil, racist, and sexist if a woman or a black person dresses up as Superman. COME ON.

I don't think that's what the Halloween request was about.  Pretty sure they were saying to their student body "don't dress up in blackface or throw on a white bed sheet and go as a klan member or dress as a nazi or similar".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'd rather direct them to a place with actual hardship, or one that won't put up with this endless stream of stupidity but if there was such a place I might move there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA

snip

I rather not trade a totalitarian support of stupidity for a different kind of totalitarian support of stupidity, I'm going through my second exposure to a country politics dictating  what the public discourse its and I'm wondering if there is any place with actual free speech and an internet connection. I might try Antarctica but I don't know how many Mbps I can get there.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"I don't think that's what the Halloween request was about.  Pretty sure they were saying to their student body "don't dress up in blackface or throw on a white bed sheet and go as a klan member or dress as a nazi or similar"."

Same **** different pile.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Fragile "feels before reals" millennials trying to reenact Mao's Cultural Revolution... blink.png

It seems the only group more melodramatic than the SJWs is the anti-SJWs.

Apparently the intended tongue-in-cheek tone of my Communism reference was lost in translation... :p

I look mostly with amusement at the Ivy League student SJWs and their heroic struggle to become even more sheltered from reality as they already are... ;)

I don't think they pose a real danger to democracy or society as a whole. They probably will find ways to professionally annoy and pester people for the rest of their lives though - or as Popehat puts it:

1BW5MZ0.png

We'll just have to put up with them.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

The insanity continues....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3310578/My-decision-comes-love-not-hate-University-Missouri-President-Tim-Wolfe-RESIGNS-amid-racism-controversies.html

This is now a possible scenario: 

If anything, one can easily say that the whole GG scandal is just something of a larger cultural revolution, yikes!

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That is insane, what a terribly written article.  Ethics in journalism indeed.  Why don't you read some real articles on the issue?

Not all frogs notice when the water starts to get warmer in the kettle.

I look forward to a bunch of liberals triggered by costumes forming a revolutionary vanguard and leading the overthrow of the existing state of affairs.

If this happens I'm starting the Revolutionary Insurrectionary Army of America.

That is insane, what a terribly written article.  Ethics in journalism indeed.  Why don't you read some real articles on the issue?

Print Gawker for ossified reactionaries who think every problem can be blamed on immigration and the loss of True (British) Values from True (British) People. If the Fail told me the sky was blue I'd know it was night or raining. Utter unmitigated rubbish from cover to cover. Possibly excluding the free CD/ DVDs that they have with their weekend editions, they're usually outside the covers after all.

(Amazingly, The Scum is actually worse)

Edited by Zoraptor

Sure is funny stuff going on there. Some journalist apparently infringed on their safe space in the quad then had a professor call for muscle.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wish that the only problem is how the article was written, but sadly reality is stranger than fiction. The lunatics are truly running the asylum :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Let's have another dose of Joshintosh to clear the air.

AEmP6Yi.png

That may be the case in the newer Fallouts but I recall the older ones depicting a society working together and rebuilding within the ruins of a nuclear fallout. A "deeply conservative" telling of Fallout would look more like most zombie media where it's basically every man for himself.