Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

Yes, because I have a thing called empathy. I don't even have that much of it. I have a hard time empathising with most people, but I would not celebrate the pain of someone I disliked. For example, I don't like Sarkeesian, but it sucks that she gets abuse. And a terminal disease is a magnitude worse than people having an online hate-boner for you. This is a human being who is going to ****ing die, and some people see it as a cause for celebration. That is not a civilized thing to do. That will never be a civilized thing to do, no matter how much you try to rationalize it. That is the kind of thing terrorists do after a succesful bombing run. There's some irony in that - I wonder who is worse than ISIS now?

• Like 2

Yes, because I have a thing called empathy. I don't even have that much of it. I have a hard time empathising with most people, but I would not celebrate the pain of someone I disliked. For example, I don't like Sarkeesian, but it sucks that she gets abuse. And a terminal disease is a magnitude worse than people having an online hate-boner for you. This is a human being who is going to ****ing die, and some people see it as a cause for celebration. That is not a civilized thing to do. That will never be a civilized thing to do, no matter how much you try to rationalize it. That is the kind of thing terrorists do after a succesful bombing run. There's some irony in that - I wonder who is worse than ISIS now?

Yes I know you battle to empathize with some events but feeling you have to empathize now because some nameless anti-GG rabble have insulted TB because they think he is a **** seems like a waste of empathy energy ?

And ISIS is much worse...much worse. Its actually silly to even compare the two as ISIS acts on there hatred and people die because of it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes I know you battle to empathize with some events but feeling you have to empathize now because some nameless anti-GG rabble have insulted TB because they think he is a **** seems like a waste of empathy energy ?

And ISIS is much worse...much worse. Its actually silly to even compare the two as ISIS acts on there hatred and people die because of it 

You misunderstand, I don't empathize with TB because some internet rabble attacked him because I know that doesn't phase him. My empathy for TB and his disease, and my condemnation of their lack of empathy are seperate things.

As for ISIS being worse or not, I'd say a lack of education and empathy are the sick festering core of ISIS as they are the sick festering core of these people (and to be fair, this applies just the same to those who hurled death threats at Quinn and Sarkeesian). The only difference is how far the society they live in has enabled them to go. You overstate the difference. Hatred is hatred. "Militant" is a word applied to some of these people for a reason - and sooner or later every militant organization dreams of their own Kristalnacht, whether they realize that is what it is or they pretend it's "liberation". Do you think ISIS believe themselves to be evil? How do you judge a young man who by his upbringing, environment and indoctrination truly believes he is doing the right thing, sacrificing his life because he has no choice but to destroy evil for the good of the world, as he straps a bomb to his chest? I would condemn that man's ignorance and hatred and that of those around him... but I would respect him more than someone from a civilized country who celebrates the painful death of a human being they dislike because he said some bad words on the internet. To be so ignorant and hateful in the civilized world seems worse to me than anything ISIS does, even if the effects are not worse.

You misunderstand, I don't empathize with TB because some internet rabble attacked him because I know that doesn't phase him. My empathy for TB and his disease, and my condemnation of their lack of empathy are seperate things.

As for ISIS being worse or not, I'd say a lack of education and empathy are the sick festering core of ISIS as they are the sick festering core of these people (and to be fair, this applies just the same to those who hurled death threats at Quinn and Sarkeesian). The only difference is how far the society they live in has enabled them to go. You overstate the difference. Hatred is hatred. "Militant" is a word applied to some of these people for a reason - and sooner or later every militant organization dreams of their own Kristalnacht, whether they realize that is what it is or they pretend it's "liberation". Do you think ISIS believe themselves to be evil? How do you judge a young man who by his upbringing, environment and indoctrination truly believes he is doing the right thing, sacrificing his life because he has no choice but to destroy evil for the good of the world, as he straps a bomb to his chest? I would condemn that man's ignorance and hatred and that of those around him... but I would respect him more than someone from a civilized country who celebrates the painful death of a human being they dislike because he said some bad words on the internet. To be so ignorant and hateful in the civilized world seems worse to me than anything ISIS does, even if the effects are not worse.

Okay yes I did misunderstand you, my bad

But TN we still shouldn't try to compare ISIS with any online group similar to anti-GG. You are doing a real disservice to the thousands of victims and all the real misery and horror ISIS has inflicted on people and countries

There are many educated people from Western countries who have joined ISIS due to the real ideological sympathies so we can't play the old " well ISIS recruits uneducated people ".  Its known they have an effective Internet presence and active in social media....all this requires intelligence 

I don't care what ISIS thinks of themselves, they are a barbaric and reprehensible organisation that justifies complete religious intolerance, beheadings, mass killings,  crucifixions and systemic rape. ISIS does use some suicide bombers but there real danger has always been they have a force of men  that are prepared to engage in combat ..they also have a known " ISIS controlled region " so they are like a country of hatred for anything that isn't Sunni Muslim

Anti-GG is nothing like this. They are just  a presence on some parts of the Internet , I understand you are trying to make a comparison as you appalled by the comments but this analogy is a bad one ...and not accurate in almost any way :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So ignorant yes, insensitive yes but not as bad as scum of the earth. These guys felt that TB had been involved in shaming and humiliating women, for some people this is a serious thing to do. So for them they felt that TB was a bad person and they genuinely believe he encouraged hate. Were they right....highly unlikely. Did they believe this...probably. So if you really dislike someone why would you be concerned if they suddenly told you they had a terminal disease?

I can not believe you just said all that.

1. What is expected is a bare minimum. Stay quiet, if you can't be sympathetic.

2. The authenticity of their beliefs excuses nothing. Some people believe you need to have your head cut off because you don't believe what they believe. To them it's a serious thing too.

This is not a conversation reasonable people should even be having. I will not treat anyone who gloats at a man with a terminal disease over some petty internet squabbles as anything other than a piece of sh*t. I will also at this point not entertain the arguments to the supposed seriousness of anything John Bain has ever done that would deserve such treatment under any context due to their abject lunacy.

• Like 2

So ignorant yes, insensitive yes but not as bad as scum of the earth. These guys felt that TB had been involved in shaming and humiliating women, for some people this is a serious thing to do. So for them they felt that TB was a bad person and they genuinely believe he encouraged hate. Were they right....highly unlikely. Did they believe this...probably. So if you really dislike someone why would you be concerned if they suddenly told you they had a terminal disease?

2. The authenticity of their beliefs excuses nothing. Some people believe you need to have your head cut off because you don't believe what they believe. To them it's a serious thing too.

This is not a conversation reasonable people should even be having. I will not treat anyone who gloats at a man with a terminal disease over some petty internet squabbles as anything other than a piece of sh*t. I will also at this point not entertain the arguments to the supposed seriousness of anything John Bain has ever done that would deserve such treatment under any context due to their abject lunacy.

Would you say this incident has worsened your opinion of anti-GG..,..did you use to respect them and now find you can't ?

So my point being you have never held them in any way except for contempt so I guess I'm surprised with all this " new vitriol " ?

John Milton 

I would not generalize everyone who doesn't like Gamergate as being in line with this behavior. As to the group of people who are involved or think like this then yes I have less respect for them than I might have had. This is the worse thing anyone's said in this entire mess.

I would not generalize everyone who doesn't like Gamergate as being in line with this behavior. As to the group of people who are involved or think like this then yes I have less respect for them than I might have had. This is the worse thing anyone's said in this entire mess.

Okay fair enough, I didn't realize you considered this the worst thing ever said 

So we do see this whole thing in a slightly different way 

John Milton 

Okay yes I did misunderstand you, my bad

But TN we still shouldn't try to compare ISIS with any online group similar to anti-GG. You are doing a real disservice to the thousands of victims and all the real misery and horror ISIS has inflicted on people and countries

There are many educated people from Western countries who have joined ISIS due to the real ideological sympathies so we can't play the old " well ISIS recruits uneducated people ".  Its known they have an effective Internet presence and active in social media....all this requires intelligence 

I don't care what ISIS thinks of themselves, they are a barbaric and reprehensible organisation that justifies complete religious intolerance, beheadings, mass killings,  crucifixions and systemic rape. ISIS does use some suicide bombers but there real danger has always been they have a force of men  that are prepared to engage in combat ..they also have a known " ISIS controlled region " so they are like a country of hatred for anything that isn't Sunni Muslim

Anti-GG is nothing like this. They are just  a presence on some parts of the Internet , I understand you are trying to make a comparison as you appalled by the comments but this analogy is a bad one ...and not accurate in almost any way :)

To be fair, my ISIS comment was just a jab at those who early on said #GamerGate supporters were worse than ISIS. It wasn't a true comparison but an ironic statement. Either way, I totally agree that they are a barbaric and reprehensible organisation. I'm saying that I'm able to see how they could justify that sort of behaviour to themselves, not that I think their actions are in any way good. The world will be a better place when ISIS is removed from it, even if it is done violently. Doesn't make the loss of human life that could have been better any less of a shame. There is a difference between realizing and stating that the world would be better off with some people dead, and reveling in such statements and realizations.

As for whether you think the comparison is not accurate, that's your opinion. I would say you are wrong. The core of statements such as what was made about TotalBiscuit is the same as the core that formed ISIS. The effects of ISIS on a global scale are, indeed, much worse. But there is more to hatred than just "how many people feel it". If I were to take a single ISIS supporter and ask him why he does the things he does, I'm sure he'll say very similar things as the person who claimed TB should die. "They offended something important to my ideology, so they deserve to die." I've seen militant SJWs claiming such things before, but it's also what sparked the attacks on Charlie Hebdo. The core is the same, the level of extremism is just less.

But I recognize we are probably in different opinions on this, as I have enough empathy to say no matter what I believe I would never revel in somebody's pain and disease, whereas you stated: "I would also be saying  " I am glad he is dying ' if I was a committed anti-GG." (It's odd that you of all people questioned my ability to feel empathy before since your statements show a complete lack of it.)

I do find it interesting that a lot of hardcore free speech proponents who feel online trolling is harmless and people should be allowed to do that find these comments over the line. Not saying I disagree with either sentiment. Just find it interesting. I think cyber-bullying is a problem that should be adressed, it's just that currently nobody has produced viable solutions least of all SJWs (whose solutions often just result in more problems, like the call to remove internet anonymity to remove anonymous cyber-bullying while simultaneously removing every anonymous avenue needed by people struggling with their identities or mental problems to come to terms with things).

EDIT: Whenever I have free time, I seem to insit on wasting it writing massive responses on forum threads. I really should stop that.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 4

****ing Frankfurt School and all their disciples. Obfuscators in the search of truth, rapers of beauty, celebrators of banality, begetters of hedonism and tailors of the destruction of civilization.

Irony.

Taking one paragraph out of its context and treat it as a point in itself. Very good, have you ever considered entering the field of Journalism? 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yeah.

I mean, what the hell. I find TB to be a deeply clueless man whose insights even in his supposed field of expertise are shallow and superficial at best, and who regularly wastes his audience's time with using ten words when even one would suffice. But terminal cancer is an inexorably advancing, extremely painful form of death. Nobody deserves that. Not even people with far more serious "sins" than being clueless and insensitive.

• Like 4

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

"but Quinn needs to be treated differently and with more empathy."

Why? Is she a Special Snwoflake? What warrants her getting special treatment over Sarkesian or TB? Or Bruce?

I'd treat you the same way I'd treat TB, those ladies, or some other internet person? I'd feel bad that they got stuck with a horrible illness. I thoguht SJ was about EQUALITY? LMAO

Nazi SJWs will be Nazi SJWs. PERIOD.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That hash. Why pick on the big toe? Have a small **** complex?

Well, saying I'd be cool with him being necklaced might be bad form :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, I dunno, some people are pretty happy when ISIS fighters or Boko Haram or some clearly savage people get put into ditches. Perhaps there are degrees to it. I'm not really that torn up about people online being glad TB has cancer, sharp spear but not much behind it - is a ripe chance to be edgy and wind people up as they are outraged (!!).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

****ing Frankfurt School and all their disciples. Obfuscators in the search of truth, rapers of beauty, celebrators of banality, begetters of hedonism and tailors of the destruction of civilization.

Irony.

Taking one paragraph out of its context and treat it as a point in itself. Very good, have you ever considered entering the field of Journalism? 

I'm hardly well versed in the various views of the members of the Frankfurt school but from what I understand many of their critiques centred around the fact that capitalism commodifies everything; music, art, fashion and so on are all subject to the process of mechanical reproduction, wherein they are stripped of any meaning or originality and reduced to mere products of consumption leaving society with a "vulgar" and "degenerate" culture bereft of any kind of meaning or originality. 

I say it's ironic because you blame them for the various things they were complaining about. 

I don't see the big deal about TB getting **** on. It's certainly a **** thing to do, but it is pretty much edgelords beating their chest and it isn't like they haven't done similar stuff before. And at this point, I think the guy has much bigger problems than some idiots on the internet.

I'm hardly well versed in the various views of the members of the Frankfurt school but from what I understand many of their critiques centred around the fact that capitalism commodifies everything; music, art, fashion and so on are all subject to the process of mechanical reproduction, wherein they are stripped of any meaning or originality and reduced to mere products of consumption leaving society with a "vulgar" and "degenerate" culture bereft of any kind of meaning or originality. 

I say it's ironic because you blame them for the various things they were complaining about.

From what little I've read, that is Adorno's take on music at least.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

EDIT: Whenever I have free time, I seem to insit on wasting it writing massive responses on forum threads. I really should stop that.

And why to people who continuously insist on lecturing others about empathy, while consistently abandoning it (or lacking it to begin with) themselves when it suits them? Truly a puzzle. :)

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

And why to people who continuously insist on lecturing others about empathy, while consistently abandoning it (or lacking it to begin with) themselves when it suits them? Truly a puzzle. :)

Clearly he does it so you can fill your signature with choice quotes.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I don't see the big deal about TB getting **** on. It's certainly a **** thing to do, but it is pretty much edgelords beating their chest and it isn't like they haven't done similar stuff before. And at this point, I think the guy has much bigger problems than some idiots on the internet.

Please don't mistake the length of my posts with how much I care. :)

We are venting. If it were a "big deal" we'd demand something be done about it. Like "their" side does for all the victims of internet spite.

Irony.

...Do you seriously expect somebody who honestly believes the Frankfurt School is the root of society's ills to be actually familiar with the Frankfurt School's actual philosophy?  :lol:

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

TN does his part for those with special needs, how nice of him.

• Like 1

The latest is the most outrageous of all! ;)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.