A Farmer's Plight Quest bugged

ClashFan

Question

I downloaded the latest beta patch this morning.  I entered the Cave in Dyrford Crossing.  Shortly after moving in there, the quest updated to say that I'd dealt with the Ogre and could return to Rumbald, though I had not done so yet!  Upon finding the ogre, I could not talk to him; he just says that "we have an understanding...."

In a couple of earlier playthroughs, I was able to complete this quest and hire the ogre for Caed Nua, but not this time.  Also, upon returning to Rumbold, the only option is to tell him that I have the ogre's head, which he doesn't believe, so the quest cannot be finished unless I kill the ogre and get its head.

I do have a save just prior to entering the cave.  Looks like entering the cave does a double update to the quest as if one had talked to the ogre but not offered to hire him.  So, I'll go back to the earlier save and skip the cave for now...

I played some more and returned to the cave again.  Same thing happens; when I enter and move in just a bit, the quest seems to double update as if I've dealt with the Ogre.  Not a huge deal, but it is fun to hire him for home.  I hope this gets fixed soon!

I have a save and and output log.  However, I don't know how to upload this via Dropbox.  I've never done that before...

Here's a link to my folder in Dropbox that has the 2 files in it.  Does that do it?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0kezed0g7ewikec/AACV0UAMwluCb5hb0vuWIzRTa?dl=0

Here are the two files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogktlo63wxq9psp/be9c86638bd643c7b9c85158473f9df5%2020668778%20DyrfordCrossing.savegame?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyv31681nn7fclj/output_log.txt?dl=0

Alden666, I would imagine that it will get fixed in the next update.   I previously had 2 quest bugs, one in Gilded Vale and one in the Endless Paths, that both got fixed.  I did not have to start a new game.  In both cases, other people had already reported the bugs, so I didn't have to do so.

Hey guys,

I was able to reproduce the bug on your save ClashFan, but I was not able to do so on my own save. It looks like it just affecting your save. However, you are still able to complete the quest if you kill the ogre and return his head to Rambald. You just wont be able to end the quest peacefully.

I have entered the bug into our database and added your save file and output log. Could you upload your save and output log as well Alden so I can add it to the bug report?

Thank you for your support. 

Thanks, Aarik.  As I said earlier, in a couple of earlier playthroughs I did not have the bug; I was able to speak to the ogre and make peace.  The difference in this recent playthrough is that I installed and played some of the White March.  I wonder if that might be the issue?

At any rate, I have restarted and am now doing a Path of the Dead playthrough.  I'm NOT going to go to the White March this time before I try the ogre cave.

Hello everyone, I have the same problem as Clashfan.
The quest double-updates.

Steam Version with White March I Installed, I remember not having that problem before though.

I have a save just entering the cave, a couple of steps inside it double updates incorrectly.

Is there any console command to update the quest manually, to avoid this?
I would really like the ogre at my stronghold.

Cheers

I just found out the following (don't know if it's important - but it seems related):
I continued (slaying the Ogre) and butchering my way through Skaen's lot, ending up at the Tyrgil's Curriery, after disposing of Tyrgil it said that "A Farmer's Plight" has been updated, probably because the recently deceased Tyrgil (good riddance) was meant as a pointer towards the cave. Can't make out what changed in the mission log, though.

I have the latest steam version with Whitemarch I+II installed and I have the same problem. The ogre and his bears were friendly and he talked about an understanding we both have had although we had never talked to each other! The journal entry said "Now that I have dealt with the ogre, I can return to Dyrford and farmer Rumbald". When I talked to him though I had no option to end the quest.

It is rather odd that the journal entry on the one hand mentions that Tyrgil told me about the location of the ogre cave - which he did as I talked to him about the ogre - and on the other hand the quest got "updated" when I had to kill him so that it also mentions that Tyrgil is dead and no longer of use for me.

I killed the ogre, got his head and the journal entry updated to "Now that I have dealt with the ogre, I can return to Dyrford and farmer Rumbald. I killed Korgrak. Rumbald will be pleased to see the beasts head." Now I have the option to present the head to him and end the quest.

I just checked, I have no save after receiving the quest but before entering the cave. 

• Like 1

I think this bug occurs if you already killed an ogre of this same type (in Endless paths level 4, for example), so it's like the game can't differentiate one ogre from another. On my last playthrough I specifically avoided killing any ogres before I got to Dyrford and sure enough the quest proceeded normally.

• Like 1

I described the issue in my thread some time ago which prompted you to reopen the bug

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/82933-202-a-farmers-plight-not-completable-px1-related

I think for reproduction at least for my issue, if you don't enter Dyrford at all until you finish one of the questlines in WM1 and choose to make peace with the Ogre Matron there, and then go to Dyrford, pick up the quest and proceed to the cave, you should get the quest updated (incorrectly) upon taking a few steps in the cave (and a faulty cutscene when you enter the ogre's corner)

Edited by PX1player

Hi there fellas. Just would like to say this is still happening in 2017. Latest patch(3.06) still happening. I have both WMI&II installed. I actually went to Dyrford 1st and had started "Blood Legacy" and "A Farmer's Plight", but opted out to go try the WM expansions(&finished both) before going back to finish the Dyrford quests. Maybe this has something to do with it. 

Anyway don't know if Obsidian is still patching PoE still or just have moved on to Deadfire completely. Just wanted to let people know it's still happening

I also still have this bug.  I love the game, the idea, don't get me wrong, but if this is the basis for your releases (not to mention the other problems), there is no way I can even consider buying the sequel, or other obsidian products.  C'mon, guys!  It's been years!

Just got this bug. I have a suspicion. Before i did the Farmers Plight, I attempted Siege of Craghodt. There, I saw kograk and went ahead to kill him, forgotten that he is involved in the Dryford quest. 

So when I got the quest, I got a message that the quest had been resolved. Going into korgrak cave though, i can see him and having same bug as everyone here. So, Obsidian, can you please either:

• remove korgrak from Craghodt so I dont need to kill him
  • or, find a suitable way to complete the quest when korgrak already dead

EDIT: My bad, it was not kograk in craghodt, it was Crothar. So the bug has nothing to do with WM

Edited by eargh

I must say, I'm amazed that this is still not fixed. This has to be some kind of record low in bug-fixing.

Edit: I managed to work around it in ~1 hour whereas Obsidian hasn't fixed this in 3 ****ing years.

Save before entering the cave. Change the Global "b_Rumbald_Ogre_Attacked" from 1 to 0. Enter the cave, but do not move, instead, teleport into the Ogre Den using the Ctrl+J cheat key. This will circumnavigate the trigger at the start of the cave (which will move the quest state two steps as if you've already talked to Korgrak), and trigger the conversation with Korgrak.

Talk to him, then clear the dungeon backwards and proceed as normal.

Seriously though, how can you leave a major quest like this for 3 ****ing years?

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

YUP got the exact same issue but mines slightly different. My save file is from before the bug appearing in whatever patch/update it appeared in.

Essentially I have the Ogre hired I just can't finish the quest as I havn't the correct dialogue options as I can only tell the farmer "I have killed the ogre I just don't have the head"

Is there a command to finish the quest? As That's all I really need, wouldn't mind having this quest finished for my save file import to Pillars 2.