What you did today

Blarghagh

Got an email from a french lady inquiring about a room. Does it have air conditioning. What are the windows like (I wonder what dungeons people have ended up staying in for them to worry about windows). But most importantly she had heard the neighbourhood was loud.

I replied to her that especially on Fridays the area is really loud. That Saturdays and Sundays can be very lively as well. But that as the architect I did everything I could to mitigate the noise, and that from what I have been told so far, people have been sleeping very well.

Got a reply back that she'd like to confirm the booking because she likes the photos and because she appreciates the honest reply.

Score one for honesty :)

Melk what has the general tourist levels been since the agreed bailouts?

I am confident tourists will continue to flock to Greece especially since its not leaving the EU

Did I ever tell you the story about my dad and stepmom who had there second honeymoon in the Greek isles ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Melk what has the general tourist levels been since the agreed bailouts?

I am confident tourists will continue to flock to Greece especially since its not leaving the EU

Did I ever tell you the story about my dad and stepmom who had there second honeymoon in the Greek isles ?

Tourism has been hit quite hard this summer. With capital control people are a bit worried about comming to Greece it seems. The UK going out an saying that they have emergency rescue plans to evacuate their citizens should they find themselves without access to money didn't help. Though honestly, how sick is that? At the same time as the massacre in Tunisia, they talk about financial evacuation plans? *sigh*

Mostly it means though that the last minute bookings for July/August were lost and September is extremly slow going compared to last year. People who planned their holliday months ahead kept their plans mostly it seems.

But with capital controls it also means that restaurants etc can't pay their suppliers, so especially on islands they need to reduce their opening time to stretch supplies. We'll see how that will affect people's impression.

But with other mediteranean destinations either dangerous or being Turkey (with their bombing of the kurds), Greece will recover despite being run by Greeks :p

And no I don't think you have shared that story.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

There isn't yet. And I am looking for a place to start exercising myself. Was thinking Krav Maga.

IMO, much like Crossfit, Krav Maga is a fad. If you are looking to take up martial arts for the exercise, I'd recommend the classics, such as Karate or Tae Kwon Do. Maybe boxing if you're up for it. That way when the fad for "hardc0re" stuff like MMA goes away, you won't find yourself out of a place to train. And from my experience with self-defence stuff, you won't really get a good workout out of each session. Self-defence is more a judgment thing first, and muscle memory second.

Otherwise, just go Woldan and start picking up heavy stuff and putting it down. Hard to go wrong, and iron gyms are a dime a dozen.

Just my $.02...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

IMO, much like Crossfit, Krav Maga is a fad. If you are looking to take up martial arts for the exercise, I'd recommend the classics, such as Karate or Tae Kwon Do. Maybe boxing if you're up for it. That way when the fad for "hardc0re" stuff like MMA goes away, you won't find yourself out of a place to train. And from my experience with self-defence stuff, you won't really get a good workout out of each session. Self-defence is more a judgment thing first, and muscle memory second.

Otherwise, just go Woldan and start picking up heavy stuff and putting it down. Hard to go wrong, and iron gyms are a dime a dozen.

Just my $.02...

I would recommend Judo as there is much more sparing involved, thus more practical training. That was my experience at least, in punching sports people tend to hurt each other when they spar so it's avoided or at least not done with full force, where as in Judo you always give it your all (either in a clinch or on the ground).

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I would recommend Judo as there is much more sparing involved, thus more practical training. That was my experience at least, in punching sports people tend to hurt each other when they spar so it's avoided or at least not done with full force, where as in Judo you always give it your all (either in a clinch or on the ground).

Yes of course. How did I forget Judo? Grappling is one hell of a full-body workout, and most importantly, it's fun.

I wonder if Greco-Roman wrestling is a thing over there? What with being Greece and all...

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Does anybody know a good remedy for callous skin on the palm? With remedy I don't mean removing them as I need their protection when lifting weights, however, lately they have started to hurt and now they're getting bloodier every training session. Doing deadlifts with more than 200kg is becoming increasingly difficult because of the pain which is quite distracting. 

It does not look that bad on the pic, but as I said, they start to bleed during heavy lifting sessions. 

michhand_zpsmwhk576y.jpg

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I did Judo for a while. But, I am scared of it. There is that moment as you are falling where you have just enough time to realize that you messed up and will connect with the ground right about...now. It is just enough time for me to get absolutely terrified.

So I quit judo and started muay thai. I am rather bad at it. But I enjoy it. And I am not scared of it. Yes, you can get hurt. The difference is, you never have time to prepare for it. The pain comes and then you notice you messed up. That I can handle.

I used to think I was just a wuss. But once I noticed that the more punchy (kicky, kneey and elbowy) stuff didn't scare me, I now wonder if I am perhaps just a control freak and that moment of falling is the moment of completly losing control.

And yeah, when I did Judo, the room next to ours as the wrestling class. So you had two rooms with boys and men grapling on the ground in quite different ways :p

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Yes...they do. Been trying to avoid having any myself with the recent difficulty I've been having with some of my own family members and their young children... Hang in there, bud.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Beginning to realize that just staring and blinking at people does better to convey anger than cursing. Ah some day, the hipsters and yuppies in my area will learn to put their dogs on a leash (and not get angry if I block them off from my dogs with my knees).

Have you slapped anymore women for wanting to hit your dog....you know its a quiet day if that hasn't occurred ;)

Nope, though some of these people need a switch to the head. Always a bunch who feel rules don't apply to them as they are special of something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I drank a lot of whiskey and an now guzzling water so I don't get hungover.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Hot water heater dead. As usual family has fallen apart over it, rather amusing to think of how we take hot water for granted.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm currently fighting a losing battle against a fly invasion, kill ten and twenty follow. What a surprise, literally tons of cow manure on the acres all around me and it its damn hot, what could possibly happen. Every year the same sh!t. 

I feel like the guy in the NIN music video with the fitting title: 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I had to go dumpster diving at 5 in the morning today because I accidentally threw away the top of my garbage can away along with the actual garbage I was trying to throw out. Don't ask how: all I know is that when I came back into my home, the top was nowhere to be seen, and I was mad as hell. Went out there to look, and realized I would have to go back and get a flashlight because apparently it's a little dark at 5 in the morning - who knew? - and trying to peer into a dumpster at that time while also trying not to gag and throw up (I'm a little bit of a germaphobe and the smell of rotting food items is enough to trigger my gag reflex) is actually a little difficult. I'm just fortunate that it was 5AM, so nobody could actually see me jump and disappear into the dumpster itself...and nor my reemergence from it (and with my garbage can top in tow, of course).

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I'm currently fighting a losing battle against a fly invasion, kill ten and twenty follow. What a surprise, literally tons of cow manure on the acres all around me and it its damn hot, what could possibly happen. Every year the same sh!t. 

Hey, it's what we grow our crops out of: no surprise it similarly sustains lesser(?) lifeforms. :p