Canadian Federal Election 2015

Oerwinde

Keep 'em coming. I like to see the developments in themselves.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I like that the latest Conservative ad plays right into Trudeau's narrative

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Conservatives placing ads in ethnic newspapers claiming the Liberals will open brothels in their neighbourhoods and sell pot to their kids

Devastatorsig.jpg

Conservatives placing ads in ethnic newspapers claiming the Liberals will open brothels in their neighbourhoods and sell pot to their kids

Now I am voting Liberal.

https://twitter.com/DonMartinCTV/status/654315624122990592

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well will they? :D

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Liberals polling 7-8 points ahead of the Conservatives,with the NDP taking up the rear with a distant 3rd. People are expecting a bit of a Shy Tory effect (people embarassed to admit to supporting the Cons when polled, but vote for them anyway resulting in a larger vote total than polls indicated), but with a 10 point lead in Ontario, and the CPC in 4th place in Quebec, a Liberal minority is all but inevitable unless something drastic happens this weekend. If the Cons lose, Harper will step down as leader. There are rumors Mulcair will step down too, to be replaced with Nathan Cullen, the deputy leader who in his leadership bid campaigned for cooperation with the Liberals. Possibly a coalition government would result from that.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

And the Liberals officially have the best ad of the campaign:

Final Nanos poll of the campaign: Liberals 39.1%, Conservatives 30.5%, NDP 19.7%, Green Party 4.6%, Bloc 5.5%

Nanos is usually considered the most accurate polling group in Canada.

Sauder school of business prediction market's final numbers are: Liberals: 39.3%, Conservatives: 32.4%, NDP 19.4%, Green: 4.1% and Bloc Quebecois: 4.1%

And here are John Oliver's thoughts:

Devastatorsig.jpg

Oerwirnde: What kind, or how 'Liberal' are the Liberals in your own words?

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Liberals are economically moderate and socially progressive. At least by Canadian standards. They established the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and tend to champion cultural liberty such as freedom of speech/religion/etc. and Trudeau's Liberals are the first party to commit to the legalization of marijuana. On the economic side they tend to be pretty free market, but support higher taxes for social programs. They also like to tout that they use "evidence based policy", looking at what has worked elsewhere or what studies indicates works rather than just blindly following ideology. What they do tends to work too. On the right/left scale they are slightly left of the Democrats in the US, which is considered the centre in Canada. They've been the governing party of Canada for like 80 of the last 100 years, with the Conservatives (or Progressive Conservatives pre-merger with the Canadian Alliance, formerly the Reform Party), coming in for one term here or there before getting kicked back down. Harper can claim one thing, that he is the longest serving Conservative PM since Sir John A. MacDonald.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Thank you for your input, but why are they pro-TPP?

IIRC, they had nothing against it, or was it the conservatives perhaps?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

In my understanding Conservatives have controlled Canadian parliament and senate from electoral term that started after 2006 elections and liberals have lost their support election after election so much that in 2011 they were only third largest party in Canada.

The Liberals don't have an official stance on the TPP, though they say they are pro-trade. The only thing they have said about the TPP is that they want to see what is in the agreement before they decide to support or oppose it, while the Conservatives support it and NDP oppose it. The only info we really have on the TPP and its effects on Canada is that the Copyright chapter is pretty awful for Canada. There is literally nothing of benefit for Canada or Canadians in it. Allowing some foreign dairy may have a slight effect on milk and cheese prices, but with the subsidies that will be offered to dairy farmers that will likely be offset by higher taxes. Our beef industry will benefit greatly, but at the cost of our auto industry. Overall, it seems to be pretty par the course for Harper, emphasize our resource industries at the cost of our manufacturing.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Polls closed in Atlantic Canada (Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick). So we're going to start seeing some results. I worked an election years ago and its amazing how simple the ballot process is, especially when you hear about all the BS in the US.

When we vote there are paper ballots attached to a serial number, when you get to your polling station they look up to see if you are registered, write the number next to your name, have you sign next to it, and separate the ballot from the number, this ensures you can only vote once. You go behind the screen, put a mark beside the name of the candidate you support, and place the ballot in the ballot box, which has the slot covered until you do. Each party generally has a volunteer, called a scrutineer to witness the process and ensure no party is stuffing ballots and making sure the election employees don't screw up.

Once the polls close the box is opened and each ballot is read aloud and recorded. Each polling station usually has 6 boxes or so with a group of 3 election employees overseeing each box. Each box usually has only a couple hundred ballots so the count doesn't take much time, and any errors are usually caught by the scrutineers and a recount can be done quickly. The ballots are then returned to the box and the box is sealed so there isn't any tampering in the case there may be a need for a recount. The numbers are then phoned to a central election office that collects from all the polling stations in the riding and tallies final numbers.

It takes a lot of manpower but is simple, efficient and accurate.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Who'd you Canada bros vote for? Anybody but those TPP supporting bastards I hope.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I voted Liberal, who are currently annihilating all competition in Atlantic Canada. Quebec and Ontario polls closed, should be a lot more of a fight there.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I voted Liberal, who are currently annihilating all competition in Atlantic Canada. Quebec and Ontario polls closed, should be a lot more of a fight there.

Well a corporate puppet politician keeping their word would be a rarity, but it would be nice to get a look at the TPP before you guys get in a government who will pass it.

"Voting"

But voting gives us the chance to accelerate as fully as we can.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

All the major news channels are declaring a Liberal minority and polls havent even closed in BC yet

Edit: NDP leader Tom Mulcair currently trailing in his own riding

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Liberals currently leading in 180 ridings. Need 170 for a majority. NDP are losing Toronto-Danforth, Jack Layton's former riding.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Who'd you Canada bros vote for?"

Nobody. I have a rule that I don't vote for nazis or fearmongers and since all the parties are nazis and fearmongers they did not earn my vote. My votes are my dollars, you have to lie convincingly of your quality of your product/service to steal it from me.

Do find it funny that a 'dictator' lost an election. How is that even possible? L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

CBC projecting Liberal Majority. Leading in 189 ridings. Not bad considering they were all but declared dead after the last election.

Edit: Official, Liberal Majority. 173 elected, with a projected count of 184. Steven Harper steps down as leader of the Conservatives, will sit as MP. Canada officially has its first political dynasty.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

CBC projecting Liberal Majority. Leading in 189 ridings. Not bad considering they were all but declared dead after the last election.

What happened the last election? A scandal or just good 'ole voter's fatigue?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy