If Pillars of Eternity had romances

The GM is my favourite NPC follower by far!

I don't understand why so many people don't like her.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

"My mind blah blah blah"

"Think of the children!"

She never, ever says anything else. These are the two things she will ever talk about.

----------------------------------------

Pillars of Eternity should have an option to romance Josh Sawyer. Imagine the drama!!!

"My mind blah blah blah"

"Think of the children!"

She never, ever says anything else. These are the two things she will ever talk about.

Who cares? Batman hardly speaks over anything else but corruption and fear. And yet everyone loves Batman.

Obviously, given her nature, she won't start discussing the weather with you. Now That would be completely out of character. I don't get why everyone expects their companions to expose their whole life instantly to the player.

This is what we call dramaturgic reduction. A character has a theme. Not staying true to said theme, convoluting a character with unnecessary side-plots is just plain bad writing.

And GM is written very well. If you actually dive deeper into her dialogue choices, you will notice that she is not as one-dimensional as you think. For example, she exposes pretty early that she is a notorious liar, despite having good intentions. And she has some serious flaws in her outlook about the world. In fact, you can actually confront her about it and tell her why she is wrong. Naturally, she won't instantly agree with you just because you are the omnipresent PC.

Her character developement is a lot more subtle than that of the other characters. But it's definitely there.

Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 1

And GM is written very well.

I'll say that GM is the best written companion of the group. Eder has alot of heart in his character but the quality of writing in GM's dialog and interactions is a whole 'nother level. I hope -when- they put in romances Chris Avellone writes at least one.

• Like 1

I'll say that GM is the best written companion of the group. Eder has alot of heart in his character but the quality of writing in GM's dialog and interactions is a whole 'nother level. I hope -when- they put in romances Chris Avellone writes at least one.

... come to think of it; I am actually pretty happy about the fact that the NPCs in PoE are all written by different people. It makes the NPCs more believable. If every single character were weirdos like Durance, GM or Aloth, the game would definitely lose a lot of it's credibility.

A group of NPCs should, ideally, provide a good representation of how the world you live in looks like. Granted, there are weirdos in this world, but they shouldn't make up your entire team.

The reason why I think Edér and Sagani are great, despite not having much to talk about, is, that they basicly complete your party with a refreshing amount of sanity and stability. Think about it this way: If everyone is special, nobody is. Edér is exactly that kind of guy you would trust your life on. And the guy you would talk to when you think someone is getting dangerously unstable (Durance).

• Like 7

If Pillars had romances in with the same characters that are available then I think it would have been creepy. 

The least creepy option for straight males and gay females would be Pallegina, and she is portrayed as not really having a gender or at least believes she doesn't due to her culture.  The other two options are a married dwarf who wants to see her family again and so wouldn't make sense for her and a mentally unstable woman who I'm not sure has the capability to give consent and so would not be right.  Straight women and gay blokes have a better option in that they get Eder, but then who can say no to Eder?  He's a dude!  Duuuuuuude!  There's Aloth too, though you may get confused as to which of him you are with.  Kana too.  Durance, no, and I don't have to explain why.  Hirav would be like pedophilia.

But the most important thing I have to say is, NO TO ROMANCES!!!!  I would not want to see the female characters changed so that I could bone them, because they would need to be and it would ruin them.  **** off back to Bioware!

Doesn't Hiravius say Pallegina has a cloaca? I would scratch her off the list unless you're into that sort of thing. :x

Considering Chris Avellone's stated opinions on romances I don't think they would turn out the way you would want...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

If Pillars had romances in with the same characters that are available then I think it would have been creepy. 

The least creepy option for straight males and gay females would be Pallegina, and she is portrayed as not really having a gender or at least believes she doesn't due to her culture.  The other two options are a married dwarf who wants to see her family again and so wouldn't make sense for her and a mentally unstable woman who I'm not sure has the capability to give consent and so would not be right.  Straight women and gay blokes have a better option in that they get Eder, but then who can say no to Eder?  He's a dude!  Duuuuuuude!  There's Aloth too, though you may get confused as to which of him you are with.  Kana too.  Durance, no, and I don't have to explain why.  Hirav would be like pedophilia.

But the most important thing I have to say is, NO TO ROMANCES!!!!  I would not want to see the female characters changed so that I could bone them, because they would need to be and it would ruin them.  **** off back to Bioware!

Doesn't Hiravius say Pallegina has a cloaca? I would scratch her off the list unless you're into that sort of thing. :x

I'd deal with it. Not "into it", but it's not a deal breaker.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Yeah, I don't think she has the right... 'gear' if you know what I mean.  I think it's implied that most Godlike actually lack the gear too, they seem to be all infertile at least.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

The least creepy option for straight males and gay females would be Pallegina, and she is portrayed as not really having a gender or at least believes she doesn't due to her culture. The other two options are a married dwarf who wants to see her family again and so wouldn't make sense for her and a mentally unstable woman who I'm not sure has the capability to give consent and so would not be right. Straight women and gay blokes have a better option in that they get Eder, but then who can say no to Eder? He's a dude! Duuuuuuude! There's Aloth too, though you may get confused as to which of him you are with. Kana too. Durance, no, and I don't have to explain why. Hirav would be like pedophilia.

But the most important thing I have to say is, NO TO ROMANCES!!!! I would not want to see the female characters changed so that I could bone them, because they would need to be and it would ruin them. **** off back to Bioware!

He wonders if she has a cloaca. It's only speculation. For all we know, she could be built like any other woman, just infertile. Well, she probably has feathers down there, which could be a problem... or quite the opposite. ;)
  • Like 2

Yeah, I don't think she has the right... 'gear' if you know what I mean.  I think it's implied that most Godlike actually lack the gear too,

If that's the case then a Godlike pc coming to the Dyrwood, "Looking for love" would be pretty pointless don't you think?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

What does Hiravius know?  Because she has feathers?   Pallegina has been taught to think of herself as a brother so I think she would be most apt to be interested in women if she has any interest at all.

Eder, Sagani and Kana are the most sane and stable ones in the group.  Durance is in love with his goddess.  Alor already has a problem with a female and does not need more.    The GM is interesting and there are possibilities there.  Hiravius could be dangerous.

Not really a lot of good choices there in my opinion.  If OE decides to include romances in the future there will need to be more characters to choose from.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Yeah, I don't think she has the right... 'gear' if you know what I mean.  I think it's implied that most Godlike actually lack the gear too,

If that's the case then a Godlike pc coming to the Dyrwood, "Looking for love" would be pretty pointless don't you think?

Are you saying that you believe that love is purely an excuse for sex and nothing more?

I've yet to see a game warns before launch

"Masturbation may change the game experiance"

...so that people can enjoy more "freely"

• Like 1

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Are you saying that you believe that love is purely an excuse for sex and nothing more?

Oh, come on. There's got to be a sexual element, I think. I'm no love expert. 

Considering Chris Avellone's stated opinions on romances I don't think they would turn out the way you would want...

"So if I were to implement a romance subplot in Eternity - I wouldn’t. I’d examine interpersonal relationships from another angle and I wouldn’t confine it to love and romance. Maybe I’d explore it after a “loving” relationship crashed and burned, and one or both was killed in the aftermath enough for them to see if it had really been worth it spending the last few years of their physical existence chained to each other in a dance of human misery and/or a plateau of soul-killing compromise. Or maybe I’d explore a veteran’s love affair with his craft of murder and allowing souls to be freed to travel beyond their bleeding shell, or a Cipher’s obsession with plucking the emotions of deep-rooted souls to try and see what makes people attracted to each other beyond their baser instincts and discovers love... specifically, his love of manipulating others. You could build an entire dungeon and quest where he devotes himself to replicating facsimiles of love, reducer a Higher Love to a baser thing and using NPCs he encounters as puppets for his experimentations, turning something supposedly beautiful into something filthy, mechanical, but surrounded by blank-eyed soul-twisted drones echoing all the hollow Disney-like platitudes and fairy tale existence where everyone lives happily ever after."

Those sound like pretty cool ideas to me :D

And he did the Alpha Protocol romances so he's capable of it if ordered to do so. So there's hope for off the wall stuff and traditional romances from him!

source -> http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/10388/article/an-interview-with-chris-avellone-on-project-eternity/

• Like 1

I'd be ok with BG2 style romances but I know that once that box is opened it will rain **** and fire: "Why can't I bang character A/B/dog/mother or why someone is not gay/lesbian/homo/whatever. Full stop. Just don't.

That said if we would go that road I'd say Pellagina is great romance material.

So if someone is incapable of having sex they can't have love?

Yeah, I don't think she has the right... 'gear' if you know what I mean. I think it's implied that most Godlike actually lack the gear too,

Asexuality exists. Besides, sexual needs and behaviors are highly varied, compromises can be worked out and the lacking gear (if it's even really lacking) can be replaced by... other things. When there's a will, there's a way, no? Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't think she has the right... 'gear' if you know what I mean. I think it's implied that most Godlike actually lack the gear too,

Asexuality exists. Besides, sexual needs and behaviors are highly varied, compromises can be worked out and the lacking gear (if it's even really lacking) can be replaced by... other things. When there's a will, there's a way, no?

Indeed.  In fact I would argue a Godlike lacking the gear would be more likely to be the sort to travel the world looking for love because of their specific situation.

compromises can be worked out and the lacking gear (if it's even really lacking) can be replaced by... other things. When there's a will, there's a way, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armpit_fetishism

"So if I were to implement a romance subplot in Eternity - I wouldn’t. I’d examine interpersonal relationships from another angle and I wouldn’t confine it to love and romance. Maybe I’d explore it after a “loving” relationship crashed and burned, and one or both was killed in the aftermath enough for them to see if it had really been worth it spending the last few years of their physical existence chained to each other in a dance of human misery and/or a plateau of soul-killing compromise. Or maybe I’d explore a veteran’s love affair with his craft of murder and allowing souls to be freed to travel beyond their bleeding shell, or a Cipher’s obsession with plucking the emotions of deep-rooted souls to try and see what makes people attracted to each other beyond their baser instincts and discovers love... specifically, his love of manipulating others. You could build an entire dungeon and quest where he devotes himself to replicating facsimiles of love, reducer a Higher Love to a baser thing and using NPCs he encounters as puppets for his experimentations, turning something supposedly beautiful into something filthy, mechanical, but surrounded by blank-eyed soul-twisted drones echoing all the hollow Disney-like platitudes and fairy tale existence where everyone lives happily ever after."

And he did the Alpha Protocol romances so he's capable of it if ordered to do so. So there's hope for off the wall stuff and traditional romances from him!

source -> http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/10388/article/an-interview-with-chris-avellone-on-project-eternity/

Game definitely needs more Avellone dungeons...

He wonders if she has a cloaca. It's only speculation. For all we know, she could be built like any other woman, just infertile. Well, she probably has feathers down there, which could be a problem... or quite the opposite. wink.png

As comfortable and soft as a duck down quilt.

I'd deal with it. Not "into it", but it's not a deal breaker.

And you could have an inventory slot for that egg she lays.

Ooops, missed this!  Thanks to Rosveen for their last post where I noticed this.  Well, an adventure involving having to escape from a Cipher's Love-Dungeon would be different, though it might wander a bit close to certain sequences in Saint's Row 4.  Being chased by Aumaua wielding purple dildoes (is that the right spelling for plural ****?)  on carriages being pulled by gagged orlans would change my perspective on the game... and there is the Salty Mast already set up to enable this sort of thing...

Ooops, missed this!  Thanks to Rosveen for their last post where I noticed this.  Well, an adventure involving having to escape from a Cipher's Love-Dungeon would be different, though it might wander a bit close to certain sequences in Saint's Row 4.  Being chased by Aumaua wielding purple dildoes (is that the right spelling for plural ****?)  on carriages being pulled by gagged orlans would change my perspective on the game... and there is the Salty Mast already set up to enable this sort of thing...

36276.jpg

• Like 2

Eder "romancing" Pallegina at best.

Sagani returns home to cook shrooms for the kids.

Edited by SeekDWay

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.