So in the quest to choose which of the "warriors" gets to rule, who did you pick and why?

I find myself feeling very "meh" about the whole thing. I see no right and wrong in any side, and no reason to support either. Especially since it seems like you're forced to kill whoever you don't support (I assume, didn't actually make a choice yet).

Also, am I the only one thinking this quest feels very poorly written and delivered? I mean the people there start talking to you about issues and characters like you already know about everything.

And what's the deal with the giant beasts?

There is no survival of the fittest. That's the point. The bear is better out in the open and the lioness is better in her own territory and neither wants to go to the other because that'd be a disadvantage. Motivation.... what's the motivation for anything in this game?

I chose the lioness because I favor cunning over strength, and in the long run the cubs will be mightier than the bear anyways.

The easiest (considering your level) and most boring quest in the game. Get inside, pick a victim, kill it. Done. That's it. Hell, i even pulled that damn bear deep inside, right in front of the lioness - no reaction. Bear is dead, lioness can hide for another 10 years till cubs grow up. Next time i'm killing both of them.

• Like 1

There is no survival of the fittest. That's the point. The bear is better out in the open and the lioness is better in her own territory and neither wants to go to the other because that'd be a disadvantage. Motivation.... what's the motivation for anything in this game?

I chose the lioness because I favor cunning over strength, and in the long run the cubs will be mightier than the bear anyways.

There should be some motivation for making you care either way.  Every quest has some story or reason to make you choose you personal outcome.

Here its just "I should be in charge!" "No I should!"

And then you pick someone to kill, without any way to figure out some alternative solution. :-/

Worst quest in the game?

EDIT- also like i wrote in the OP, what is the deal with the huge beasts? Are they shape shifted druids? Because if so it is not explained at all. If they are not druids, why are they being treated as head figures in the clan?

Edited by RevBlue

Defiance Bay factions

Raedric vs Kolsc

"Gods"

What makes these "better" quests? I couldn't care less about either of them. It's pretty much about rewards.

Edited by dukefx

Galawain is probably okay with all outcomes. :D

I went with the lioness and killed the bear, because felines are cool and bears are [colbert]godless killing machines[/colbert].

Also, cunning and intelligence is for leaders, brute strength is for minions. :D

Regarding "the deal with the large animals" - the Glanfathan tribes apparently live in a kind of symbiosis or strong spiritual connection with their totem animal. That's not unheard of in Fantasy tribes with the (noble or not) savage / indigenous hunter theme.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Erm, I Killed both and Galawain was pleased that I made room for new blood.

lol thats a cool idea. If I wasn't playing a good guy i might do that :p

Defiance Bay factions

Raedric vs Kolsc

"Gods"

What makes these "better" quests? I couldn't care less about either of them. It's pretty much about rewards.

With the Defiance Bay factions you have 3 very unique world views and actions from each faction. They each have very defined personalities and ways they think the world should be, so you can make a clear choice who you think is right and who you support.

Same with Raedric vs Kolsc, do you agree with what Raedric is doing, killing basically everyone in his land out of some mad misguided notion of helping? Or do you think he should be stopped? While I agree you don't have that much of a motivation to support Kolsc other than to stop Raedric, that in itself is reason enough.

Not sure what you mean about "Gods"

I wish there was a way to avoid killing either and then convince Galawain somehow. It felt like the quest didn't even really represent Galawain's doctrine. If both animals were smart enough not to give each other advantage, why the hell should I go agaisnt their instinkts and kill them? Can I reforge something for the favor of Abydon, or set someone on fire to get in Magran's good graces, please?

• Like 1

@RevBlue Whatever you say also applies to this quest. You haven't said anything so far that would make this any different than the other "choices". None of it matters anyways. Guilded Vale will always suffer unless you get rid of both of them (or let Raedric get rid of Kolsc before you kill him the 2nd time). DB factions are all just a bunch of wanna-be leaders. I always choose whichever talent I want because they are all the same. The ending is always "they did bad things blablabla, but then piece and prosperity"

By "gods" I mean the 6 choices you have, who to support and what to do with the souls. In the end they are all both good and bad.

It's not a main quest, but it isn't any different. Just because you are Jon Snow and know nothing about the ways of the Fangs and what impact this will have on their lives doesn't mean there is no moral dilemma. There are 3 outcomes.

@Yria Now that's an interesting viewpoint. Technically there are Abydon and Magran related quests. Reforging the Blade of the Endless Paths could be one, Cinders of Faith could be another, or you could sacrifice Durance to gain both Magran's and Skaen's favor.

Edited by dukefx

So in the quest to choose which of the "warriors" gets to rule, who did you pick and why?

I find myself feeling very "meh" about the whole thing. I see no right and wrong in any side, and no reason to support either. Especially since it seems like you're forced to kill whoever you don't support (I assume, didn't actually make a choice yet).

Also, am I the only one thinking this quest feels very poorly written and delivered? I mean the people there start talking to you about issues and characters like you already know about everything.

I opened a door and the people on the other side were hostile. So I killed them and kept walking, and there was a lion at the end and not a bear, so I killed that.  If there was a meaningful choice somewhere along the line after butchering a bunch of people that the folks out front didn't care about, I missed it.  I simply told the people who finally wanted to talk (after killing a couple dozen of their friends)  that protecting the lion was against nature or some rot, and they left.  So, yes.  Poorly written and delivered... just a bunch of meaningless combat and an outcome that has no effect or meaning.  Just XP. 

@RevBlue- disagree on the defiance bay factions.  They all seemed like petty criminals trying to get their own mobs more power.  Pick one at random.  Doesn't matter.  And, ultimately, derailed by railroad plot anyway, so... yeah.  That was a waste of time.  

I won't say details but in the post game depending on how you handle it that Raedric quest can go seriously sideways :p.

As for the animals what I wanted was to kill everything but the Lioness and her immediate buddies then let them fight it out since she lost her pride.  The game did not allow me to do that as the bear and it's followers were too stupid to go look to notice I had left a trail of dead lion carcasses behind me.  I really wanted to side with the bear cause I think they are cute and fuzzy plus love picnic baskets.... but the guy who was the bears spokesman was a total jerkface and really the only thing I actually wanted to kill during the whole quest.

As a result Lioness wins.

@dukefx- Why is Gilded Vale going to suffer with both of them? I mean sure killing them is not gonna solve the legacy but Raedric is the one killing everyone. (important point, I haven't finished the game yet, im in act 3 so no spoilers please)

As for the defiance bay factions I also disagree. The Dozen are obviously a bunch of hotheaded loud and violent group that are just mad on issues because they dont understand them. I mean seriously even in the end of act 2 when their delegate is talking to the king about why he is mad about animancy, none of his reasons have ANYTHING to do with animancy.

The doemenels(sp?) are obviously mafia, so...take what you will on that

And the knights are the most closely I feel the "good" guys, sure they aren't officialy sanctioned but they are the closest to a peacekeeping force there is, they try to maintain order and such.

Edited by RevBlue

Sorry, I think I pretty much spoiled it for you. Luckily you didn't read carefully enough :)

As for DB factions. You do realize that the knights are so ignorant, stubborn and narrow minded that what they consider "good" is always bad. Might as well put them next to Raedric. I mean, he wants the legacy to end so he obviously means well. Methods however are unethical and often barbaric. The same applies to the knights.

If you want RL comparisons then yeah, the Doemenels are the Mafia, you can consider the Dozens extremist rebels and the knights are obviously the national army that isn't afraid to use any means necessary to win.

We are really going off topic here.

• Like 1

I guess so. Back to the original topic tho, in those quests there is definitive personality and world views to each faction, im not even talking about possible outcomes im talking about reasons for you to care/not care/hate them.

The quest in Galawain's Maw has none of it

I chose the bear over the lioness, and here's why.

There was a room not from from the front door where there was a table and one of the Maw's leaders who was sitting there pondering what to do.  On that table was a book of Galawain that talked about how when an old leader was charged with being too old, the leader should go out in the woods to prove himself worthy, yada-yada-yada.  So I took this lesson to heart and went back to speak to the lioness' human go-between.  I picked whatever dialog options fit this philosophy, and the lioness' person had a change of heart and decided that the lioness needed to fight her own battles if she wanted to prove that she continued to be worthy of her position, and promptly left the room, leaving my part alone with the lioness.

Unfortunately the lioness attacked me.  I was sort of hoping that she was going to leave her lair and fight the bear, but since she attacked the party, I had to defend myself and slay her.  Problem solved.  But I actually wish that situation had been scripted to have her leave the lair and fight the bear challenger, so that it didn't appear that the PC had picked a side in the fight so much as I had resolved the issue that was preventing the challenge fight from occurring in the first place.

Edited by Crucis