Islamists kill 147 in Kenya

Walsingham

It's difficult to get a sustained movement in Western countries over issues in places like Africa and the Middle East because of the inability to really affect what is happening.  The Bring Back Our Girls movement swept the US, received a ton of attention, but after a month it was out of the media and no progress was made.  That's a tough thing for anyone to swallow, so it shouldn't be surprising when the Western Media stays away from this stuff.  It's a scenario of helplessness. 

I can't comment definitively, but a lot of educated Africans I've spoken to blame the whole Famine Industry for this. decades of portraying Africans as starving stray dogs hasn't helped.

I just find it interesting, because 147 is history book level casualties. Maybe not headlines, but you'd find it written down. A battalion might lose that many in a single fight, and earn a mention.

But these weren't soldiers in a war zone. These weren't flyblown kids in a parched land. These were students.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I guess there is not enough outrage, then?

Anyway, Kenyan AF has started bombing in Somalia so that is a good response. Assuming so, anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's difficult to get a sustained movement in Western countries over issues in places like Africa and the Middle East because of the inability to really affect what is happening.  The Bring Back Our Girls movement swept the US, received a ton of attention, but after a month it was out of the media and no progress was made.  That's a tough thing for anyone to swallow, so it shouldn't be surprising when the Western Media stays away from this stuff.  It's a scenario of helplessness. 

I can't comment definitively, but a lot of educated Africans I've spoken to blame the whole Famine Industry for this. decades of portraying Africans as starving stray dogs hasn't helped.

I just find it interesting, because 147 is history book level casualties. Maybe not headlines, but you'd find it written down. A battalion might lose that many in a single fight, and earn a mention.

But these weren't soldiers in a war zone. These weren't flyblown kids in a parched land. These were students.

Sorry for the late response, I have been really busy socializing over the Easter weekend  :biggrin:

Anyway people throughout Africa have been commenting and are very concerned about this brutal attack. But this is really a problem that the AU is suppose to resolve and as usual there is no real political will from the AU to resolve its own issues so why should the world be too concerned if the majority of African leaders aren't ?

The AU is basically an impotent organisation that lacks real economic and political consensus, for example we still don't have a  AU self-funded reactionary force that can be used to address military conflicts on the continent ...like Al-Shabaab and Boko Haram. We rely on funding and support from the UN 

The issue in Africa is not the people but the lack of leaders who truly want the continent to be transformed economically. We have blocks of countries that are aligned through financial imperative and trade agreements but they are more loyal to there own groups of countries than the continent 

That's why these types of appalling attacks will continue, the AU doesn't really have the real desire or will to address these problems 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just the usual anti-Islam, anti-Muslim stuff. You know...

Ohh yeah, you are sooooo enlightened, not at all confused by the "politically correct" language that is designed to avoid alienating Muslims, and the fact of 'Islamist terrorism' that consumes that region, that us "bigots" seem to try to address.

And in light of all the church burning and attacks on Christians in Africa, I'd wish there was less of the former whitewashing the issue and more of the later trying to promote religious tolerance in the Islamic world. Speaking of, I find the Egyptian president, El Sisi, recent actions encouraging. It might be just another streak of optimism, but for once it doesn't appear as pure lips service for the benefit of western audience.

President El-Sisi's Greetings:"..Egyptian President el-Sisi did the unprecedented and congratulated Egypt's Christian minority in their cathedral – a small but courageous step on the long road of what el-Sisi calls Egypt's "religious revolution."

Islams Improbable Reformer: "The real Islamic religion grants absolute freedom for the whole people to believe or not believe. Never does Islam dictate to kill others because they do not believe in Islam. Never does it dictate that [Muslims] have the right to dictate [their beliefs] to the whole world. Never does Islam say that only Muslims will go to paradise and others go to hell."

You assume much, and are wrong about much based on those assumptions.

My post was a general comment on a dialogue that's gone on for quite some time on this forum, and reached a height earlier this year with the Charlie Hebdo fiasco. It was also a response directed at the person I replied to, based on their history of posts on the subject matter at hand and others.

One may as well have used  'Black People kill 147 in Kenya' as the thread title, or 'Religious people kill 147 in Kenya', or 'Somalians kill 147 in Kenya'. The descriptive terminology used is misleading and done to incite or to serve to comfort the bigoted views oft expressed on this forum and throughout the modern western world, it has little to no relevance in regards to what actually happened in Kenya.

Edited by Valsuelm

It's in most media, so no links.

Just curious to know why it wasn't being discussed.

Probably because this is just more of the same. It's simply expected that in this era that Muslims who hold tightly and strictly to their faith conduct themselves as did The Prophet himself.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

It's in most media, so no links.

Just curious to know why it wasn't being discussed.

Probably because this is just more of the same. It's simply expected that in this era that Muslims who hold tightly and strictly to their faith conduct themselves as did The Prophet himself.

What a wonderful source of absolute garbage.  Thanks for the entertainment.   :thumbsup:

My post was a general comment on a dialogue that's gone on for quite some time on this forum, and reached a height earlier this year with the Charlie Hebdo fiasco. It was also a response directed at the person I replied to, based on their history of posts on the subject matter at hand and others.

Be it as it may, your intention based on your personal history falls under Poe's law, hence misjudging your position. Regardless, considering the host of disfranchised kids here and the popularity of PC culture, my post is still relevant for the discussion at hand.

Be it as it may, your intention based on your personal history falls under Poe's law, hence misjudging your position. Regardless, considering the host of disfranchised kids here and the popularity of PC culture, my post is still relevant for the discussion at hand.

Not really, on both counts.

'Poe's law' is not applicable to this scenario.

You're new to the forum, there's nothing wrong with that. However, opining on things that are unclear to you is an indication of lack of good judgement skills at the very least.

Stick around, read, get to know the posters, and have a clue what you're typing before you start typing and you might become one of the few here that post interesting things. Right now it's mostly just vitriolic idiocy based on assumptions you come up with in your head.

What a wonderful source of absolute garbage unvarnished reality.  Thanks for the entertainment enlightenment.   thumbsup.gif

Disagree? Go live in Shia Iran or Wahabi Saudi Arabia for a decade and report back to us on your experiences.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Not really, on both counts.

'Poe's law' is not applicable to this scenario.

You're new to the forum, there's nothing wrong with that. However, opining on things that are unclear to you is an indication of lack of good judgement skills at the very least.

Stick around, read, get to know the posters, and have a clue what you're typing before you start typing and you might become one of the few here that post interesting things. Right now it's mostly just vitriolic idiocy based on assumptions you come up with in your head.

Actually I am finding Torts views cogent and accurate. And he has made several very interesting posts, they just happen to disagree with you Vals :)

You don't need to be a regular member of these forums to dispute points like " Freedom of press is the same in Russia and Western countries", that's obvious. I hope  he stays active 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_violence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_religious_terrorism

Discuss.

You know who I feel sorry for the most? God. Put yourself in His place for a moment. You have created the heavens and the earth, performed feats of engineering that stagger the imagination.  You pick the third planet of a run of the mill solar system and put humans on it. You give these humans a soul, self awareness, and the capacity to love and ask for nothing but that they USE that capacity to love one another and what do they do? They rampage around killing each other and to add insult to injury they say they are doing it all for YOU!

Well that's what He gets for being a terrible manager and a paranoid psychopath.

And a ****ty creator.

I mean geez, where to start about This Guy? Instead of telling everybody at the same time what the deal is, He instead tells only a few people what the deal is, and He's not even consistent in that. Every time the story changes, so now we have Christianity, Islam and Judaism. And even within these religions they can't really decide what the deal is. That's terrible management and a woefully bad understanding of His own creation.

But I suppose this is all part of that awful reality show called 'Getting into heaven'. He'd probably be bored out of His mind if everybody followed the plan.

Or He just sucks. Giving everyone free will and then getting pissed off people don't follow the plan, so send em to Hell. (where, mind you, His fiercest opponent punishes you for not doing what God wants.... what a load of crock. The devil would be high fiving you). Again, a woefully bad understanding of His own creation.

And the foreskins, the freaking foreskins. If He wants us to cut those things off, how about.. you know, creating us without one?

Laughable creator, terrible manager with psychopathic tendencies.

Ignoring Him is your best option.

Edited by Psychevore