Except OP makes 1 huge mistake on his part. 

One Stands Alone DOES NOT increases dmg by 20%. It increases dmg by 20!. Flat +20 dmg bonus. NOT %.

Source: buff next to portrait when active + combat log testing

Edited by Killyox

@Ceranai - It gets Carnage on its Battleforged retaliation. That's the build's entire point.

Does it get Carnage on spell casts (from scrolls with Lore) ?

Carnage only procs on effects and attacks that count as melee in the game's coding.

Edited by Infares

Nvm, I got my answer from Shocking Grasp... 11 Hits from a spell that does 3 hits (1 hit + 2 jumps).

Enjoy :)

16m6d77.jpg

@Ceranai - It gets Carnage on its Battleforged retaliation. That's the build's entire point.

Carnage only procs on effects and attacks that count as melee in the game's coding.

Then Shocking Grasp apparently counts as melee. Gonna test the rest.

Edited by Killyox
  • Like 2

Nvm, I got my answer from Shocking Grasp... 11 Hits from a spell that does 3 hits (1 hit + 2 jumps).

Enjoy :)

16m6d77.jpg

Then Shocking Grasp apparently counts as melee. Gonna test the rest.

Oh great, so basically any melee-range spell would proc it, too. 

There's a second-level Druid spell that applies a DoT and also gives you Draining. That would actually be pretty ridiculous for a Barbarian, especially because DoTs do damage on application so you'd increase your damage across the board with it, have DoTs running, and be gaining health from the drain proc effect.

This works for me..for a little while until my barbarian disintegrates trying to tank with 8 PER/RES. 

I understand how damage is output, but I don't understand the part that makes this a good tank?

Barbarians aren't really viable tanks IMO. They have only a handful of abilities that are relevant to tanking and have one of the worst starting Deflection scores in the game (15). They start 10 behind Paladins & Fighters, and this build has Deflection penalties as well.

A few DT from Fire Godlike is nice but you need a lot more than that to tank at Hard/PoTD.

It's a fun retaliation build but I'm not sure how you live unless you're just more powerful than the content/difficulty level.

This works for me..for a little while until my barbarian disintegrates trying to tank with 8 PER/RES. 

I understand how damage is output, but I don't understand the part that makes this a good tank?

Barbarians aren't really viable tanks IMO. They have only a handful of abilities that are relevant to tanking and have one of the worst starting Deflection scores in the game (15). They start 10 behind Paladins & Fighters, and this build has Deflection penalties as well.

A few DT from Fire Godlike is nice but you need a lot more than that to tank at Hard/PoTD.

It's a fun retaliation build but I'm not sure how you live unless you're just more powerful than the content/difficulty level.

The reason for barbarian is because retaliation and the Fire passive all proc Carnage. It's more of an offensive tank build, with the proper talent setup, you run your tank in, then suddenly the second he hits 50% endurance the enemies all spontaneously combust.

It's not a "good" tank. It depends on getting hit in order to do damage, so it doesn't want deflection. It depends on DR and endurance to keep it alive, but that means it is on a timer for how long it can tank.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Battleforged is OP.

Not only it works with Carnage (somehow), it goes up with your level and Might attribute.

Someone mentioned it gets bonuses from Savage attack & Vunerable attack as well. Holy ****.

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Barbarian is by far the most fun class to me, which can be build into many roles.

The core abiliities for this build is Battle-Forged from fire godlike and Carnage from barbarian. Since the Battle-Forged attacks are melee attacks, they can stack with Carnage, so one enemy attacks your barbarian, all surounded enemies will suffer burn damage.

19/18/10/8/15/8 for Str/Con/Dex/Per/Int/Res

You don't need to have high dex as other barbarian build. However, you wish to have high CON be more durable because you can bear more attacks and then do more retaliate damage from Battle-Forged.

Abilities & Talents

Barbaric Yell: I choose this ability instead of frenzy because this is a tank build, and to MIN/MAX Battle-Forged, you don't need the X 1.33 attack speed from frenzy either.

One stands alone: nice ability for this build, your barbarian will be tanking lots of enemies, and to be mentioned, this ability will boost your melee damage by 20% too, though it's not shown in description.

Blooded: in other barbarian builds, this ability may seems to be not that useful, but it will be really really suitable for

Battle-Forged are buffed now to be doing 2 x Level fire damage. A lvl 12 character can have 24 base damage from Battle-Forged, which can be heavily buffed to reach 53 burn damage.

Attribute

this tank build. When you are under 50% endurance, your Battle-Forged damage will be improved by blooded by 20%..

Thick-skin: good ability for a tankish barbarian. Wearing a plate armor and you can easily reaches 20 DR, makes you to be very hard to kill.

Savage attack & Vunerable attack: savage attack boost your Battle-Forged by another 20%. And it's interesting cause vunerable attack also works for Battle-Forged so your burn damage will also have 5 DR bypass original.gif

Scion of flame: Your Battle-Forged will get another 20% boost from this talent, which is decent.

In summary, the final burn damage from Battle-Forged will be 24 X (1 + 0.27 + 0.2 + 0.2 + 0.2 + 0.2) = 53.52 Burn Damage, and it both has Carnage and 5 DR bypass.

Weapon Style

To use what kind of weapon really don't matter for this build, the key thing to do is NOT die too fast. So when you think enemies are too powerful, switch to sword & shield, otherwise you can dual or two-haned cause your enemies will die faster than you do cause of the high retaliate damage.

Looks like a tank Barbarian is possible after all. Props to you Sir. However I'd still leave Con at 10. Three percent is just meager. The biggest impact on Health is your base class. As a Barbarian you'll have high Health anyway. I'd put those points in Dex if this build can get away with dumping Res and Per

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 1

~ Kaine

Looks like a tank Barbarian is possible after all. Props to you Sir. However I'd still leave Con at 10. Three percent is just meager. The biggest impact on Health is your base class. As a Barbarian you'll have high Health anyway. I'd put those points in Dex if this build can get away with dumping Res and Per

That is a silly thing to do with this build. You don't need dexterity because it is not meant to rely on attack speed at all, but on being hit and returning the favour, which means you need every point of endurance and health that you can get. With that in mind, it would be smarter to dump Dex all the way down and get some extra Resolve and Perception, if only to reduce the chance of receiving crits.

It's up to you I guess. Either case won't break the build.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

The thread author was spot on. It seems maxing out Con/HP, Mig, and DT are a must for OSA builds. Forget about deflection. Int at around 15 is good enough.  The rest of your points can be spread as you see fit.

I'm currently running a Drain Retaliation variant (rather than Fire God, too risky).  I don't even bother with deflect at all, I want to get hit.  Everything on the screen just instantly starts disintegrating as soon as it reaches me, whether I swing or not.  I'm sure this build works similarly (Far Riskier, but with an larger pay-off super fire nuke). 

The only issue is your HP starts running a bit low after a long while (Since you want to get hit or at 50%), but the Barb HP pool is so huge you'll probably finish the dungeon and find 4x as many Camping-Supplies than you even need.  Still OP.

Edited by Parsong
  • Like 1

The thread author was spot on. It seems maxing out Con/HP, Mig, and DT are a must for OSA builds. Forget about deflection. Int at around 15 is good enough.  The rest of your points can be spread as you see fit.

I'm currently running a Drain Retaliation variant (rather than Fire God, too risky).  I don't even bother with deflect at all, I want to get hit.  Everything on the screen just instantly starts disintegrating as soon as it reaches me, whether I swing or not.  I'm sure this build works similarly (Far Riskier, but with an larger pay-off super fire nuke). 

The only issue is your HP starts running a bit low after a long while (Since you want to get hit or at 50%), but the Barb HP pool is so huge you'll probably finish the dungeon and find 4x as many Camping-Supplies than you even need.  Still OP.

Wouldn't you want enough deflection to not get crit at least? Also how much of your Endurance does each hit heal you for, or is there a threshold where you need to have a certain number of guys hitting you before your endurance becomes a nonthing?

I'm planning on trying something similar with my barbarian once I get the retaliation items. My question is: do they stack? If I use the Sanguine Armour + the retaliation shield, will I do more damage than if I use just one of them?

If anyone's interested, I got around to test this, and they stack indeed. I gave both items to Pallegina (I figured it would be harder to notice on a character with Carnage) and she was hitting twice on retaliation, whereas, obviously, armour without shield would hit just once.

I'm using Tidefall, so no shield for me, but I suppose this means that the damage output would be increased with it and/or other retaliation items (I don't know if there are others).

Edited by CriticalFailure

Question:

What retalition items do you use? So far I have only found Sanguine Armor (red plate armor), however I can't find any more retalition items. Did I miss something?

What is drain retalition variant you are talking about? You know that you have still be Fire God-Like and equip Draining weapon or dual of them (there is one Battle axe with Draining and Silletto with draining). I don't know if dual Draining weapons stack but still it can bump your survival a lot.

Build for POTD Solo.

Moon Godlike Barb.

At level 5 you need to take One Stand Alone for +20dmg to your attacks+retaliate.

The earliest and safest retaliate item you can get, is a small shield in Clîaban Rilag.

That passive and shield is pretty much bread and butter of this whole build.

With the shield, you're able to get Sanguine Armor and start using either dual-wield or Shield and Weapon for deflection.

Id suggest to invest in One Handed style for late game bosses.

Also get wild sprint later aswell.

I finished my playthrough yesterday and the build works.

All credits got to Keyen for the build idea and you can check his vids on youtube if you need help with difficult parts of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTG1k3ioUqYJb3a_wqART2g

RbQNEUn.jpg

RbQNEUn.jpg

Congratulations! You might be the first person to claim that title on these forums!

But we have to double check: did you ever force quit the game to escape a losing battle and preserve your save game?

(Or manipulate your save game in any way)

Edited by Incendax

Build for POTD Solo.

Moon Godlike Barb.

At level 5 you need to take One Stand Alone for +20dmg to your attacks+retaliate.

The earliest and safest retaliate item you can get, is a small shield in Clîaban Rilag.

That passive and shield is pretty much bread and butter of this whole build.

With the shield, you're able to get Sanguine Armor and start using either dual-wield or Shield and Weapon for deflection.

Id suggest to invest in One Handed style for late game bosses.

Also get wild sprint later aswell.

I finished my playthrough yesterday and the build works.

All credits got to Keyen for the build idea and you can check his vids on youtube if you need help with difficult parts of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTG1k3ioUqYJb3a_wqART2g

RbQNEUn.jpg

Congrats, give me some tips please:

1. Wouldn't Fire God-Like be better choice? The Way burn damage scale with all barb abilities, you basicly have one more retaliate 53 burn damage to all enemies around. I know moon-like has healing but it is the qustion between: kill faster than die or heal faster than die. Opinion?

2. Did you use Draining Weapon or tried Dual Draining Weapon? (do they stack or work independly?)

3. What other items do you recommend and gear?

4. Did you use summons?

5. How did you manage to deal with Chain stuns/paralyze/disables for example?

6. How was dragon solo fight

7. What weapons you were using and reccommend most?

I am prepering myself for another PotD solo with Bard and can't decide between Moon-God-Like and Fire-God-Like. I love the idea of even faster AOE killing with Burn damage with Retalition :D. However I don't know how MUST is healing later in game or in 12-15 Endless Paths.

So, any help from you is greatly appreciated! :)

Congrats once more :D

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

1. Wouldn't Fire God-Like be better choice? The Way burn damage scale with all barb abilities, you basicly have one more retaliate 53 burn damage to all enemies around. I know moon-like has healing but it is the qustion between: kill faster than die or heal faster than die. Opinion?

a.The healing from moon godlike, saved me alot of times in this. VS bosses especially. Also in 1v1 vs tough mobs healing is more beneficial then 2DR+fire retaliate. Also i was rarely under 50% endurance vs regular mob packs.

2. Did you use Draining Weapon or tried Dual Draining Weapon? (do they stack or work independly?)

a. I used Mosquito(draining weapon) and Sword of Dyenasis rapiers for early game. Both buyable at the start of A2 (The first is in the Inn at Ondra's Gift, second floor, the second is in Dyrford, at the blacksmith), so you can have them easily and without fail (No RNG) once you passed Caer Nua.

3. What other items do you recommend and gear?

a. Crit reduction belt. Full plate armor. ring of protection. Anything you can find with con.

4. Did you use summons? Hell ye :)

5. How did you manage to deal with Chain stuns/paralyze/disables for example?

a. Your retaliate deals with them and thats also where healing from moon godlike comes very handy.

6. How was dragon solo fight.

a. Didn't fight adra dragon on lvl 15. It is imho impossible for a barb to kill him.

7. What weapons you were using and recommend most?

a. Rapiers, maces throughout the whole game. On end game boss, Aimoranet mace and Edge of Reason axe.