What's on the idiot box Part 4 (or something)

LadyCrimson

shomi, Rogers and Shaw's answer to Netflix in Canada opened up to non-Rogers and Shaw customers yesterday. Its got a pretty good library, but the service has a way to go. Its slow to navigate and playback quality is only so-so.

All the Star Trek talk has made me want to go back and watch some. Been eating my way slowly through DS9, its incredible the jump in quality the first 3 episodes of season 2 had over season 1. Once I'm done that I'll probably go back and do TNG, then Voyager. Enterprise I already binged a couple years ago, while the others I hadn't really watched since they originally aired.

I see you have lots of money to spend on frivolous things like TV series ...do you realize that the majority of African people have never ever seen Netflix...dont you feel guilty?   :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Watching the Twilight Zone series in reverse order. Finished watching Twilight Zone (2002) hosted by Forest Whitaker. It was okay. Will now go onto Twilight Zone (1985) and then save the best for last - Twilight Zone (1959)

I'm hoping the other two Twilight Zone series are good. Although I think I prefer The Outer Limits.

I love Twilight Zone, I remember  watching the ones in the 1980's and being really impressed because we didn't see much good TV due to sanctions and Apartheid 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

shomi, Rogers and Shaw's answer to Netflix in Canada opened up to non-Rogers and Shaw customers yesterday. Its got a pretty good library, but the service has a way to go. Its slow to navigate and playback quality is only so-so.

All the Star Trek talk has made me want to go back and watch some. Been eating my way slowly through DS9, its incredible the jump in quality the first 3 episodes of season 2 had over season 1. Once I'm done that I'll probably go back and do TNG, then Voyager. Enterprise I already binged a couple years ago, while the others I hadn't really watched since they originally aired.

I see you have lots of money to spend on frivolous things like TV series ...do you realize that the majority of African people have never ever seen Netflix...dont you feel guilty? :biggrin:

CraveTV, Bell's streaming service is $4 a month and has all the Star Trek series.

I would cancel the cable and just have the streaming services but the wife gives me the death stare if I bring that up.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I see you have lots of money to spend on frivolous things like TV series ...do you realize that the majority of African people have never ever seen Netflix...dont you feel guilty? :biggrin:

CraveTV, Bell's streaming service is $4 a month and has all the Star Trek series.

I would cancel the cable and just have the streaming services but the wife gives me the death stare if I bring that up.

Well  my friend the international poverty line is $1.25 a day so you are basically spending 4 days of people salary on entertainment ...end of the day I wont presume to tell you what to do because I'm working hard to not be condescending and my g-friend told me it can be condescending to lecture people on a forum about SJ issues even if you right. So I will just leave you and your wife to make a decision you can live with or rather feel comfortable with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_threshold   :biggrin:

John Milton 

Then again Bruce, how many people could you feed with the money you spend on your internet bill?

Then again Bruce, how many people could you feed with the money you spend on your internet bill?

True but remember I dont live in a first world country like you guys so my life is harder ...I need some relief  o:)

John Milton 

I have all sorts of first world problems. Canada has the highest wireless rates in the world. I pay $190 a month for two lines with 6gb of shared data. I don't even have caller ID and only have 3 voicemail slots! Barbaric!

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

I have all sorts of first world problems. Canada has the highest wireless rates in the world. I pay $190 a month for two lines with 6gb of shared data. I don't even have caller ID and only have 3 voicemail slots! Barbaric!

:biggrin: You make me laugh....good post

John Milton 

There was a philosopher who said...

Imagine a scenario where a train is traveling down train tracks and will come to a crossroads where it will continue down one of two paths. If it continues down the one path, it'll hit the nicest, most expensive car you could imagine, and the car is yours for the taking if it doesn't get hit. If it goes down the other path, it will hit and kill a small child. If the lever to change the train's course is left completely untouched, it's currently on path to hit the child.

In this situation, most of us here would say "of course I'll save the kid," but the philosopher's point was that in reality, we all enjoy luxuries that, if we were to be rid of them, we could save children's lives all the time. The reality of the situation is that EVERY person with luxury expenses is letting a kid die, so to speak. How are we any different than the guy who let's the kid die so he can have the fancy car? Hell I mean the guy at least got a multi-thousand dollar car out of it, while for most of us a luxury is a video game we won't play in 2 months time.

The issue he presents is that of course we should all feel ashamed, but all of us struggle to imagine a life with absolutely no luxuries. No internet, no electricity, only eating meals as they're required and not enjoying nights at restaurants or even lazy evenings at fast food joints or ordering pizza (ironically I think McDonald's frequenters who live off the dollar menu stuff are technically going bare minimum. :p ). It's such a drastic change that many of us struggle to imagine being happy in such a state, so of course none of us do it.

The conclusion I got is....I imagine it like this: take two extremes in life. One world where every travesty is treated seriously, another where nothing is taken serious and everything is laughed at. In the serious world, EVERYONE would get their own broadcasted obituary for example and flags would be flying half-mast every day. Why do celebrities get announced deaths but you or I do not? Our lives are equally as valuable and interesting, we're simply less known, but do we deserve equal respects paid when we pass? Absolutely. So in that world, that would happen. On the other end, everything is a joke. You die? People are laughing about your death and cracking jokes, if they even acknowledge it at all. No one bothers to honor the dead, and it's a world where CNN and other major news networks are instead spamming 4chan memes about 9/11 when it happens instead of giving it the coverage we all saw when it happened.

We must prefer the latter group. Why? Well personally I would rather have people able to crack jokes about my death. If I thought I could? I'd donate my skeleton to science; I TOTALLY wanna be a skeleton in a high school that gets hats and sunglasses put on him when they do pranks. I want them to know my skeleton's name and make me do funny voices by moving my jaw. Disrespect the **** out of my skeleton, I think that'd be the best and absolutely hilarious. (now to just find a high school that would take a skeleton with my unique build rather than wanting a typical one :c )

More importantly, the tragedy-honoring world would never get **** done. If we had a moment of silence for every person who died each day, we would never actually get to work. It's impossible. It's simply not realistic, nor is it a happy world to live in. People would be miserable all the time because they acknowledge and know of the deaths that took place.

I see it similar here. Yes we can do more and I acknowledge that, and I acknowledge that, even as I am now, eating one meal a day and struggling with bills, making absolutely no lucrative purchases beyond nicer meals than what I could settle for, I could do more. But I've been there. I know what it's like. It's not something you can survive doing. Physically yes, I can survive off sandwiches. Mentally? I'd be more depressed than I already am if I settled for that.

The way I see it, I do not get upset with celebrities who have their deaths broadcasted and respected worldwide. Good for them! Glad they got the respect they deserve even if most of us won't. Likewise, the beggar I pass on the street and give €2 to, I don't think he would be upset with me for eating a €10 meal that day. Why would he want me to be as miserable as he is?

The standards that philosopher suggested are just too depressing. As dumb, nonsensical and illogical as it is, yes, we petty human beings do need our luxuries to give us some motivation. Without luxuries, we have no motivation. We know only remorse and sadness as we honor those who starved to death that day, and I struggle to imagine a world that survives when we AREN'T capable of ignoring death or cracking jokes about how starving kids in Africa would've appreciated the ice cream cone we just accidently dropped. We need that carelessness and we need that optimism and humor about it. We should remain concious of tragedies when we can and help out when we can of course, but I think letting the guilt of simple things like having an internet connection get to you...? That's creating as many problems as it is solutions.

True but remember I dont live in a first world country like you guys so my life is harder ...I need some relief

And this is why I do not respect you and why many others have accused you of being a troll.

$1.25 is $1.25. A starving child cares not for which $1.25 feeds him or where the money comes from. EVERYONE on this forum is subject to your criticisms, yourself included. (especially yourself, if you're so entitled that you're somehow blind to this)

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I thought this would be dumb, but, I thought wrong. It is exactly right.

actuallyreallygood_zpsthhgh6oy.jpg

Its really an example of the heroes are only as good as the villains though. Every episode that didn’t have the Inquisitor or Tarkin was meh, and the second season premiere with Vader was goddamned awesome. Ezra is the Wesley Crusher of the series too Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ezra is the Wesley Crusher of the series

I lost my mind when I heard Brent Spiner is the voice of traitorous Senator Trayvis! 

First time I've seen Star Wars and Star Trek collide on-screen since the R2-D2 incident from '09 ... 

Rebels gets infinity bonus points for including new, original voice work from James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, and Frank Oz. The real Vader, 3PO, Lando, and Yoda. I'm still crying. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Anthony Daniels never turns down a C3P0 role. He knows who pays the bills. Pretty sure Billy Dee Williams is in the same boat now. James Earl Jones surprises me though. They almost always use a sound alike for Vader.

Devastatorsig.jpg