We need a bunch of non-backers buying this

Non-backer as well but getting Royal Edition on Steam,can't wait until the 26th!

"Very well permit me on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come fist to the 7th Army"- Duiker:Memories of Ice

PoE will not sell 1.5 million copies like BG2 did. But if will have just at least 500 k copies sold like Divinity: Original Sin had, it will be a win.

I wouldn't be so sure. The market is a lot bigger now, and we should also remember that BG2 has been sold for many, many, many, many years by now.

This is not to say that PoE is better than BG2 or anything like that, but 1,5 million copies is not what it once was.

t50aJUd.jpg

My heart says it will it will sell one million in the first week alone as a whole new generation of players too young to know how good party based isometric RPGs can be are shown the light and see that it is good. They collectively denounce 5 hour long cinematic shooters and zombie meme-generators and demand more thoughtful, challenging games. Turn and phase based combat follows and is embraced, any attempt to patronise console players with simplicity is rejected and the genre flourishes across all platforms.

A new golden age is upon us now, EA cans Bioware and commits sudoku, the Ultima rights pass to a new studio comprised of ex Troika and Looking Glass devs and Bethesda is forced to release New Vegas back royalties that they withheld over 1 metacritc point which bankrupts them forcing the Fallout and Elder Scrolls rights to go to Obsidian.

World peace soon follows.

My head say it will probably do somewhere between Wasteland 2 and Divinity OS.

• Like 8

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

"Okay here we go, it's gonna be a D20 for sure!" *rolls* ...... 7...... "Uuuh, well, that was a trial... D20 for sure!!" *rolls* .... 18..... "Just joking of course hehehHEHE!" *rolls* ... 5......... "One of these days *mumble mumble*" *rolls* ..... 5... "Ngh t-that was just the last roll heh, I, I didn't... change it..." *rolls* ... 20 "YES!!! Told ya"

Roll(1d20)+0:
20,+0
Total:20

Roll(1d20)+0:
5,+0
Total:5

Roll(1d20)+0:
5,+0
Total:5

Roll(1d20)+0:
18,+0
Total:18

Roll(1d20)+0:
7,+0
Total:7

*cough* It'll be a huge success :D (because the roll... o:))

EDIT: My point. It's a dice roll. I think we'll know around mid- to late-summer.

Edited by Osvir

PoE will not sell 1.5 million copies like BG2 did. But if will have just at least 500 k copies sold like Divinity: Original Sin had, it will be a win.

D:OS is probably right around 1 million by now, was 700k + many months back.

I suspec this has a real shot at 1.5 million, just has to be what we expect and WoM will take it from there.

I will be one of the non-backers paying the $45.

It is interesting though, EA/KS, you never know what you get after that, your biggest customers have already paid by release. I personally only back games I want that are struggling to make it. This one had no problem funding.

Will be fun to see how well it does. It's on the second page of Top Sellers on STEAM right now (has been climbing for the last few days) and on GOG it's the second game on the Popular list (behind Witcher 3). Well, the Hero edition is, the Royal Edition is also on the list but a bit further down.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I did some calculations and guestimation(this I did a lot :p ; to manny unknowns, paradox cut, extra obsidian money) and ended with a figure of slightly less than 400k full price sales needed, for obsidian to be able to fund a similarly sized game after PoE post lunch support and expansion.

There are always people like moi who only play 2 or 3 new games per year max and do not read gaming news sites because 99% of the items on those sites are utterly uninteresting to them. That's why I only found out about this game a few months ago. I love (good) cRPGs, but those are only a small part of the entire gaming market. If this game manages to get all cRPG fans on board it would become a very big success, but I think it will be very, very hard to draw in people unfamiliar with the cRPG genre. It's a niche game, but it has a decemt chance of winning over pretty much the entire niche because of the combination of Infinity Engine successor (famous games) and the reputation of Obsidian in this genre... and hopefully positive (p)reviews will contribute as well.

No, no immolating Girl Scouts, I need do-si-dos cookies every year, on time. 

I'm gonna go set some girl scouts on fire anyway. Just in case. 

• Like 1

I know a lot of people who are still discovering and buying D:OS, as despite its great success, it never was advertised as an AAA title and went under a lot of people's radars. As someone else pointed in this thread, it's probably already around 1M sales, just within one year of its release.

I think PoE will do similarly, or even better. Eventually I think both D:OS and PoE will have surpassed 1.5 million sales. And you have to consider both these games already had a massive kickstarter support, which means a lot of people that won't buy the game because they already got it when backing the project.

I think the game might be too indy for mainstream gamers. Its probably sold a tiny bit better than wasteland 2. For some reason, it doesn't get any press. 

So far, D:OS tops the list for highest selling title that is funded by kickstarter. I would be surprise if it exceeds 500k or 200k within a month.

I think the game might be too indy for mainstream gamers. Its probably sold a tiny bit better than wasteland 2. For some reason, it doesn't get any press.

It is not too "indie", just not mainstream material. A game for readers isn't as big of selling point as you might think.. most tend to prefer more action oriented RPGs, chunk some hours (maybe put some mods), jump to the next best thing... I agree that it's likely to sell like WL2.

So far, D:OS tops the list for highest selling title that is funded by kickstarter. I would be surprise if it exceeds 500k or 200k within a month.

Highest selling kickstarter backed rpg so far, yes. But if we're talking kickstartered video games in general we'd probably have to award that one to FTL (even if their kickstarter was to fund the fees for setting up a business to sell the game, rather than to develop it).

But depending on how reviews and word of mouth goes, 300-400K sales should be a lowball (unless things go seriously wrong) and 1M or more sales is not out of the question if sentiment goes well.

I think the point was made earlier but people should talk about this wherever they can online too. Im a huge fan of the genre but had no idea about D:OS until a while after it had released. This on the other hand, purely randomly the kickstarter was linked on the Starcraft site I use (teamliquid), so I knew straight away, would have had no idea otherwise. Needless to say the thread there has been bumped :). Everything will help!

Does anyone know the sales numbers of BG 1 EE and BG 2 EE? I imagine sales of POE would be comparable to them.

PoE will definitely sell better than those, considering BG 1 EE and BG 2 EE were mostly bought by those who didn't have the game already. Most of the patches done by the EE overhauls were already part of free fanmods. I bought them both, but not because of the additional content or patches (the extra content was not that good imho), but in order to support beamdog.

Also, the game has gotten pretty good media coverage so far. The previews were very optimistic and the showcase reports of exhibitions were mostly positive aswell. If that tone continues, we will definitely see a decent success of the game.

EDIT: ... damn, I think I should definitely finish by BG 2 EE playthrough while waiting for PoE. I dropped it halfway through TOB (The Neera quest was ridicolously hard). I want to know the epilogues of the new characters, even though I didn't like them that much.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I think this game has more anticipation than D:OS, having the true BG vibe. As far as Wasteland 2 goes, the numbers I recall seeing sold for that were surprisingly low. But they've been supporting it quite well, needed some support to. Totally feel this going the D:OS way vs the Wasteland 2 way in sales.

I can say I did have luck youth, was during the gold age of the RPG I did play playing with BG and BG 2, fallout 1 and fallout 2.

I not a backer but did pre-order champion edition, and I considering getting Torment: Tides of Numenera.