Just a thing, I saw someone saying that fire godlike would have problem during their relationship due to their flames.

But in the description of the race (subrace) in the character creator, it's written that fire godlikes emit harmless flames. So wouldn't be that much of a problem really.

Btw, not speaking of romance, but I've always being disappointed not finding any RPG which let you play something else than an humanoid (like centaur, since we're talking about them). It could add so much fun/gameplay possibilities.

Just a thing, I saw someone saying that fire godlike would have problem during their relationship due to their flames.

But in the description of the race (subrace) in the character creator, it's written that fire godlikes emit harmless flames. So wouldn't be that much of a problem really.

Btw, not speaking of romance, but I've always being disappointed not finding any RPG which let you play something else than an humanoid (like centaur, since we're talking about them). It could add so much fun/gameplay possibilities.

I think "harmless" is a rather relative term in this context. I think Josh mentioned something about lighting torches with your head in one video, so at the very least, those things are still hot.

Not that it matters much, all Godlikes are snipped.

t50aJUd.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've been following this game as Obsidian remains the top remaining hope for the RPG genre. 

Like many of you, I'm a Veteran of BG BG2 KOTOR1 and 2, the NWN series, Dragon Age.. 

Hearing about this game got me very excited, and I believe it has to potential to breathe new life into the genre.

However, what these games all had and do have, is also something that apparently Pillars of Eternity lacks: Romanceable Characters, and lack of this is keeping me on the fence of whether or not to buy it. It's an extra motivation to invest emotionally in the game, in its story, having normal companions and potential romantic interest commenting on your travels... having a story that builds around this relationship. It's an investment that sets fantasy games apart from Diablo and co..

Even just one (or two) hetero choice would be something that most of the players could get on board with, rather than doing a DA:Inquisition.  How about a DLC character or two?

I wish this game a lot of success, but I don't think I could do their effort justice without giving my opinion as an outside observer and potential player. This feature is clearly missing for me.

-gurufabbes

• Like 3

How about you take a damn minute and actually back up your words, that you've followed the game. This game has a limited budget. And there is plenty of more important stuff than a dating simulator to attend to. So if you want a PoE romance, buy the damn game, so Obsidian can make a sequel with a budget to support a romance option. 

• Like 1

Or, buy it and mod in a romance option to your liking/as you want it to be~

Romance options are manipulative game mechanics anyways, so I don't see how it'd be any different to just mod it in. "I want this character to fall for my character!" shouldn't matter if you do it in-game or in-mod. No? Because it's practically the same thing.

• Like 1

You have a strange set of priorities, to put it politely.

And it's also one of my main grips with some "promancers", they see it as a feature, not as something that should flow naturally from the story and character development. 

But hey, I'm sure there would be a lot of mods that will add romances to existing companions, so fear not. It will be the top priority for modders once they make the essential "naked models" mod. 

• Like 3

How about you take a damn minute and actually back up your words, that you've followed the game. This game has a limited budget. And there is plenty of more important stuff than a dating simulator to attend to. So if you want a PoE romance, buy the damn game, so Obsidian can make a sequel with a budget to support a romance option. 

That's such a ridiculous suggestion that I suspect you're being disingenuous. I'm all for voting with your dollars but giving people money for doing things that disappoint you is a rather perverse and ineffective way to go about it. Furthermore, Project Eternity went over like gangbusters on Kickstarter but I've yet to see any evidence that romances were ever given serious consideration by Obsidian as even a stretch goal--certainly their interviews seem to dismiss romances out of hand rather than pine for them. It seems that the decision to release without romances was an artistic one at least as much as it was a financial one. I largely agree with and even respect that choice but if it's the case then giving Obsidian money in the hope of future romances is bound to end in disappointment.

• Like 1

Sadly romance was a feature they said they won't do. It takes to much writing to make it not seem... fake. All games of recent memory have romance that is basically "make them happy, they love you", which as we know is not how people work. Perhaps in sequels if they have the money. But rather a great story with no romance, than a less great story and romance.

And it's also one of my main grips with some "promancers", they see it as a feature, not as something that should flow naturally from the story and character development. 

That's not fair

What's not fair about what I said?

I'm guessing you haven't bothered staying up with the romance debate. BruceVC and I have both argued that romances need to fit into the narrative, otherwise they tend to be overly awkward. Romances would be best to serve as a way to enhance character development, not be a mini-game like Bioware does it where you select the "heart" options to romance and find gifts to give to companions. It's not a good way to do it.

We've also advocated that no romances are still better than badly done romances. In the romance thread we discussed at length MCA's take on how he would want to do romances if he had to, and I think his take would be a significant incline. 

Read the romance thread before you make generalized and marginalized statements of the promancers.

• Like 3

I just tend to see romances in games as generally puerile sorts of adolescent wish fulfillment.  Anyone who's been is a serious relationship can't take the vast majority of video game romances seriously.  I have to admit that I thought the sexual heat approach the devs took between Annah and The Nameless One was actually pretty good though.  ...And the sort of messed up romance between Deionarra and TNO was pretty well done.  I guess the point is, romantic relationships between individuals is tricky to do and handling it delicately and realistically in a video game is pretty tough.  Now, if they took a light touch and really developed something that could lead to a romantic relationship at or near the end, I guess I wouldn't mind so much, but I don't want them to force a full blown romance on me in any way that doesn't arise naturally out of the story itself, kind of like Miq said above.

EDIT:  Just read LW's response and it seems more less reasonable, although I'm still leery of romances.

Edited by Cantousent
  • Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm guessing you haven't bothered staying up with the romance debate. BruceVC and I have both argued that romances need to fit into the narrative, otherwise they tend to be overly awkward. Romances would be best to serve as a way to enhance character development, not be a mini-game like Bioware does it where you select the "heart" options to romance and find gifts to give to companions. It's not a good way to do it.

We've also advocated that no romances are still better than badly done romances. In the romance thread we discussed at length MCA's take on how he would want to do romances if he had to, and I think his take would be a significant incline. 

Read the romance thread before you make generalized and marginalized statements of the promancers.

I'm not a native speaker, but I think "some" doesn't mean "all".

I haven't pay attention to the debate in this forum because I have no interest in it, but the OP is clearly one of the "promancers" that see them as some sort of feature from a check list, so I don't think what I said was unfair at all.

• Like 2

I wonder why some people feel that "romance" is the only viable relationship with game characters. Is friendship or rivalry not a good relationship? Having your companions face their fears and overcome them during critical moment due to loyalty or turn their backs on you because you mistreated them or contradicted their beliefs is far more satisfying than awkward "sex-talk" and fade-to-black sex scenes.

Has any developer outside of Bioware even done "dating-sim" RPGs ? Maybe you simply like Bioware game style? If so maybe romantic movies or books could be a good alternative. And if not you can always leave things for imagination. Nothing is set in stone in RPG genre, especially character relationships. You can always make-up your own relationship :)

Edited by Fluffsy
  • Like 5

I haven't pay attention to the debate in this forum because I have no interest in it, but the OP is clearly one of the "promancers" that see them as some sort of feature from a check list, so I don't think what I said was unfair at all.

Because you're attributing the attitudes of a brand new member, who posted the same topic in different subforums within minutes of each other, and who has clearly spent no time reading up on the community stance of potential romances in PoE to all people that support romances. 

When you refer to "promancers" you refer to the whole group. You're not the only one who does this. There are those of us that want to continue the PoE theme of mature storytelling into a different take on romances, and there are those that essentially want waifus. Accusatory statements against promancers, even if proceeded with "some," creates an unfair characterization of all. Please be more specific with your criticisms. "Promancers" have a hard enough time getting others to even take the time to consider our arguments seriously without being lumped in with those that want every game to be some sort of sex & seduction simulator.

I wonder why some people feel that "romance" is the only viable relationship with game characters. Is friendship or rivalry not a good relationship? Having your companions face their fears and overcome them during critical moment due to loyalty or turn their backs on you because you mistreated them or contradicted their beliefs is far more satisfying than awkward "sex-talk" and fade-to-black sex scenes.

Has any developer outside of Bioware even done "dating-sim" RPGs ? Maybe you simply like Bioware game style? If so maybe romantic movies or books could be a good alternative. And if not you can always leave things for imagination. Nothing is set in stone in RPG genre, especially character relationships. You can always make-up your own relationship :)

I recommend looking up what MCA's preferred takes on writing romances would be. Not all romances need to be Bioware-style.

Because you're attributing the attitudes of a brand new member, who posted the same topic in different subforums within minutes of each other, and who has clearly spent no time reading up on the community stance of potential romances in PoE to all people that support romances. 

When you refer to "promancers" you refer to the whole group. You're not the only one who does this. There are those of us that want to continue the PoE theme of mature storytelling into a different take on romances, and there are those that essentially want waifus. Accusatory statements against promancers, even if proceeded with "some," creates an unfair characterization of all. Please be more specific with your criticisms. "Promancers" have a hard enough time getting others to even take the time to consider our arguments seriously without being lumped in with those that want every game to be some sort of sex & seduction simulator.

Dude, if I say some promancers I'm clearly reffering to a specific segment inside those people that are pro-romance. I honestly don't see the issue here.

• Like 1

i prefer the no romance decision. in most games i followed the romance path with a companion just because it was there (almost every RPG after BG2) or just because the game railroaded me into a sex scene just before the final battle (mass effect) and i just had to choose who i wanted featured in the scene. the whole thing felt fake and the intentions of the script writers were blatantly obvious

the only game i can think of that had a natural progression in a romantic relationship (if you wanted to start one at all) was alpha protocol, where npcs did not forcefully flirt with you to push you into: obligatory sex scene, select your partner. in that game i started relationship without trying to or even noticing i was moving in that direction, and im sure one different answer at some point could have prevented the entire romance part of the game from ever playing out.

Edited by teknoman2
  • Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Romance in crpg is like Pandora's Box. Once you open it everyone will start bickering about wanting to bang character A and complaining that character B is not straight/bi/gay etc.

I for one am happy they didn't go that path.

• Like 2