Thoughts on Knights of the Old Republic

Althernai

Man, nobody ever cares about our KotOR section. Last time one of these showed up I moved it but that was a death sentence, so I guess we'll keep it here. sad.png

Sorry, I had no idea that forum even existed! I don't think I've ever scrolled that far down the page. Also, it seems to be about KOTOR II whereas I wasn't even going to play the latter when I started this thread (I don't remember much about it, but I do remember that it basically runs out of content two thirds of the way through). Thanks for pointing it out though -- it looks like there are some mods that restore a lot of cut content so I'll give it a try.

Jolee and HK-47 are still two of my favourite game NPCs ever.

Yes, these are excellent characters. I haven't met anyone who didn't like HK-47.

HK-47 is just a walking punchline, but hey, that's a fun thing to have. Certainly a lot more fun than Carth or whatever. K2 also had some cool NPC interactions between HK and the R2-D2 thing, etc.

Man, nobody ever cares about our KotOR section. Last time one of these showed up I moved it but that was a death sentence, so I guess we'll keep it here. sad.png

For some reason I thought this was about the MMO at first. :lol:

I still haven't played more than a small bit of Kotor1. Kotor2 is what I played first and like what often happens to me in such cases, I played that one so much I burnout on the whole concept and then can't get into/play the "original" afterwards.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The step backwards from KotOR 2 to KotOR is very awkward. It's hard to go from intrigue and subtlety (as far as Star Wars goes) to the most overblown cliches. I kinda understand that you can't step back.

HK-47 is just a walking punchline, but hey, that's a fun thing to have. Certainly a lot more fun than Carth or whatever. K2 also had some cool NPC interactions between HK and the R2-D2 thing, etc.

Sometimes I feel like I'm alone in not hating Carth. :p I do think that darkside moment where he leaves Mission to die is cowardly, but it's also extremely out of character and just goes to show the dark side path isn't really how Bioware intended the story to be played, I guess. And the voice actor is a little awkward, I guess. Also, the fact that the game prompts you to talk to him and he brushes you off with "I don't want to talk!" is annoying, but that's more a problem with the game design.

I mean, obviously I have to start with so many reservation means I don't love the character either, but I feel the hate he gets is a little overblown. At least he's not Anomen.

• Like 1

I guess I belong to the minority group who didn't love HK-47, nor hated Carth. I rarely used either. Iirc, Jolee Bindo was the only regular in my team. Rest was a toss up between Canderous, Mission or (sometimes) Juhani for varietys sake. I guess both Kotor 1&2 would be games where a remake on a more modern engine wouldn't hurt?

(which reminds me, I never ever got around to do the swoop racing in kotor2, on the other hand I loved the changes to the pazaak game)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Kyle Katarn was the rebel operative from Dark Forces who went on to star in the Jedi Knight game up until Force Academy where he was reduced to a potential 'love interest' npc or something (didn't play that one).

I also liked Carth, Anomen and Kaiden. And Aribeth, and Casavir ect. I do sometimes think that and other archetypes are overused and should be skipped for a couple of games but there really should be room for those characters in a big RPG cast. I do wonder what it would be like if Bioware made a game where being the/a bad guy was the primary path and none of your companions were good people with heroic arcs (I'm not advocating the mindless, rude to everyone phycho thing either, that's always as boring as watching paint dry).

Edited by Serrano

Who's Kyle Katarn?

But yeah, I rarely used HK or Carth. Or anyone non-Jedi for that matter. Except Zaalbar, if I needed some muscle. That bastard cuts through enemies like a knife through butter.

Protagonist of Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2). Mercenary that ends up being a Jedi with the best beard

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

KOTOR is still awesome on the iPhone

I shouldn't be shocked that it's possible to run 'proper' games on a phone anymore but I'm shocked. Hopefully tapping the phone market wil help nudge Bioware/EA/Disney towards making KOTOR 3.

Edited by Serrano

BioWare tried to rip-off Kyle Katarn with Carth, and failed miserably.

What does Carth have in common with Kyle Katarn? The former is a Republic soldier whereas the latter is an Imperial officer who becomes a rebel operative and then a Jedi. They're not even remotely similar.

Nah, Luke and Leia is the only good romance in all of Star Wars. Well, that and Han/ Chewbacca.

I really did dislike Carth rather a lot. So much so that I always, always nuke Kaidan in ME1 as it's the closest to killing Carth you can get. Indeed, if you could kill Sky in Jade Empire that would be one of the few things that could prompt a replay of that game.

• Like 1

Hmm Kotor. The only thing i really remember is HK-47 and Jolee,  turquoise and orange lightsabers, since i played on pc and that Malak was a piss easy boss. 

I also saw the twist coming.

edit: i also wouldn't want to play it again unless a really got remaster version was made or a 2d one. :D

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Btw when someone starts a new romance discussion they should get linked to this priceless HK reaction to "romances" like paraphrased Bastilla. It was pure gold.

Start at around the 2:00 minute mark for the relevant tidbits.

C'mon MCA HK-47, tell us how you really feel about meatbag romance.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Btw when someone starts a new romance discussion they should get linked to this priceless HK reaction to "romances" like paraphrased Bastilla. It was pure gold.

Good times. Is there a mod that makes the combat better?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not really. To make the combat better you would first have to fix the interface. This would require a pretty fundamental reworking of the game. I'm playing the sequel now and even Obsidian did not try to do it -- they fixed some minor issues which reduce the degree to which the interface is annoying by quite a bit, but the core of both interface and combat is basically the same.

• Like 1

Not really. To make the combat better you would first have to fix the interface. This would require a pretty fundamental reworking of the game. I'm playing the sequel now and even Obsidian did not try to do it -- they fixed some minor issues which reduce the degree to which the interface is annoying by quite a bit, but the core of both interface and combat is basically the same.

There are few mods that improve the experience. While they do not change the combat itself, they increase the difficulty (lets face it, difficulty is a joke in vanilla KotoR) and add additional high level force powers, which while fundamentally look the same as original ones, they do have some different effects and animations which is always nice to see replaying the game. IMO those mods are essential and I would not be able to play through both games again without at least those improvements.

It's just kind of bland in just about every respect, it was all decent enough, the characters, plotting, systems, everything was OK, but just OK.

If I were to take this quote out of context, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell which Bioware game we're talking about  :lol:

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

There are few mods that improve the experience. While they do not change the combat itself, they increase the difficulty (lets face it, difficulty is a joke in vanilla KotoR) and add additional high level force powers, which while fundamentally look the same as original ones, they do have some different effects and animations which is always nice to see replaying the game. IMO those mods are essential and I would not be able to play through both games again without at least those improvements.

Link?

It's just kind of bland in just about every respect, it was all decent enough, the characters, plotting, systems, everything was OK, but just OK.

If I were to take this quote out of context, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell which Bioware game we're talking about  :lol:

Mass Effect

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Dragon Age Origins

Dragon Age 2

Dragon Age Inquisition

Star Wars The Old Republic

Jade Empire

Neverwinter Nights

Baldur's Gate

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not sure everything was OK in Mass Effect 3.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra