I do find it strange that the quotes aren't attributed to a specific developer. I don't doubt the veracity of the statements...but still, that's pretty shoddy journalism.

I figure it'd have been Sawyer though.

Yep, it really is him: http://www.gamewatcher.com/interviews/pillars-of-eternity-interview/12162

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

ToB was holding your hand and treating you like you hadn't played a game before. Spiced up with some generic npcs and mostly boring design. To finish the insult to the player, they added in a villain as forgettable as the plot of the campaign. Overall, easily the worst IE experience available. 

About PoE it sounds like, they want to do it right. Let's hope they succeed.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 3

I do find it strange that the quotes aren't attributed to a specific developer. I don't doubt the veracity of the statements...but still, that's pretty shoddy journalism.

I figure it'd have been Sawyer though.

Yep, it really is him: http://www.gamewatcher.com/interviews/pillars-of-eternity-interview/12162

Cool. I'll backtrack and say that it was a pretty decent interview.

"...but we know there are already backer beta players on our forums making mods. They’re making UI mods, graphical mods, they clearly hate the things I’ve designed… Which is great, you know, if they want to change balance or flip around the UI screen, why would we have any problem with that?"

Bwahahaha!

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I have mixed feeling about TOSC, I prefer expansion continuing main storyline like MoB or DA: Awakening (yeah, TOB was really disappointing). I hope extra story will be more consistent like in HoW. In TOSC I only liked werewolves quest and Durlag's Tower. TOB was bad because it had only action, action and action.

Edited by White Phoenix
  • Like 2

I actually preferred ToTSC in many ways to the main BG game.  The three self contained stories in the expansion were all far more engaging than the main campaign and each had it's own distinct air of creepiness and dread.  Also, it gives the designers an opportunity to introduce more aspects of the world and region that could set up themes for the next full game.

"...but we know there are already backer beta players on our forums making mods. They’re making UI mods, graphical mods, they clearly hate the things I’ve designed… Which is great, you know, if they want to change balance or flip around the UI screen, why would we have any problem with that?"

Bwahahaha!

I think the "hating" part was only meant with regards to the engagement system. I don't recall anything else to have provoked so resilient and strong resistance, and why would modding the UI mean that someone hates the original one? Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Graphical mods? I.. has anyone actually done any graphical mods?

Bwahahaha!

I think the "hating" part was only meant with regards to the engagement system. I don't recall anything else to have provoked so resilient and strong resistance, and why would modding the UI mean that someone hates the original one?

Well there's the ridiculous "Combat Only" mechanic, which results in a range of silly issues, the fact that you can't retreat from combat, and the terrible stealth mechanics, but apart from that, there's really not that much hate going around. The UI is pretty bad, yeah, but I wouldn't call the dislike of it "hate".

t50aJUd.jpg

^Being familiar with Josh's manner of speaking, I can almost hear his stifled laugh and see his small smirk when I read it, it's his usual brand of self-deprecating humor. I would bet a good sum that it's meant to be a joke.

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I found this, Josh said:

" It's something connected to the main game but its own separate storyline, and you take your normal characters into it. We're in the very early stages of planning it.

We have to see exactly how it integrates in terms of location and how it shows up on the map, or whether it's its own separate world map"

This means it could be either Tosc style or not, it's not decided yet.

Edited by Mazisky

hmm i didn't kow Throne of Bhaal is so frowned upon. i think it is excellent continuation of the MC's story

Then you are a fool! It was linear and was all about combat, and the villains were never properly built up. It COULD have been an excellent continuation if it had been BG3 instead of an expansion since Bioware would have more time to flesh it out. The problem with ToB was that it was wasted potential. Thanks to it we'll never get the proper sequel BG2 warranted.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

hmm i didn't kow Throne of Bhaal is so frowned upon. i think it is excellent continuation of the MC's story

Then you are a fool! It was linear and was all about combat, and the villains were never properly built up. It COULD have been an excellent continuation if it had been BG3 instead of an expansion since Bioware would have more time to flesh it out. The problem with ToB was that it was wasted potential. Thanks to it we'll never get the proper sequel BG2 warranted.
Wow @ bigots.

Wow @ bigots.

What? Did I block him? Did I even show a hint of intolerance toward his opinion? No. I just countered his with mine. This was done with the hope he would elaborate on his opinion. You know, like a discussion or something. 

EDIT: Was it my opening line? "Then you are a fool!" is not a real insult. It was a friggin' reference to gargoyles. Slow your role.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

What? Did I block him? Did I even show a hint of intolerance toward his opinion? No. I just countered his with mine. This was done with the hope he would elaborate on his opinion. You know, like a discussion or something.

*gasp*... HERETIC! Burn the heretic! She's trying to summon the evil entity known as Discussion! The seals must not be broken!

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Wow @ bigots.

EDIT: Was it my opening line? "Then you are a fool!" is not a real insult. It was a friggin' reference to gargoyles. Slow your role.

Discussion is good. And yes, when someone states their opinion and the rebuttal starts with, "Then you are a fool!" I tend to see that as bigoted. Not to say that I disagree with your POV afterwards, mind you - I think you had the right of it. Truth be told, I didn't mean to come across as some sort of forum warrior, but calling someone a fool for their opinion tends to irk me. Also, I did enjoy the "slow your role" comment, lol, now I'm wondering how I can work that into a conversation ...

well it is kinda a wasted potential if you see it that way, but i still think it pace really good for 15 - 20 hours expansion. but if it really was a full fledged sequel with alot of content and build up like SoA have, it would be really great.

ToB was a hasty closure, it has its faults, but I'd rather have that than no closure at all. I don't think it actually prevented a real third game in the saga. If the resources and interest were present at the time, we would have had a full-fledged third game. By the time of ToB, they were already planning to put the IE to rest in favor of 3D stuff. Imo they just wanted to end the Bhaal saga. It's true that Interplay did later return to BG, but it was only after they lost their D&D license, not so much out of desire to further explore the main storyline. My point is that if ToB didn't happen, it's likely that we would have had nothing rather than a full installment.

As for the expansion to PoE, even though Josh Sawyer mentions TotSC, I think it would be more in the vein of Heart of Winter, i.e. a short but structured story somehow tied to the main storyline of PoE. At least that's the impression I get from past expansions/add-ons Obsidian did (NWN2 MotB, New Vegas DLCs). Besides, if they put together various side content to make an expansion like Tales, in today's world and context it would be difficult to differentiate "an actual true-to-God RPG expansion" from "a couple of DLCs thrown together".

Nothing gold can stay.

Even though I pledged toward a digital download of the expansion , I am extremely appreciative of their will to back-port gameplay changes through a free patch. It shows dedication to their backers as opposed to the money-grubbing attitude that is so widespread in the industry. Kudos, Obsidian!

Also, TotSC was a brilliant expansion pack and I can only ba glad they're taking inspiration from it for the PoE expansion. If it turns out good and they release it as boxed set, rest assured my cash will go toward it even if I already own the digital version :)

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Even though I pledged toward a digital download of the expansion , I am extremely appreciative of their will to back-port gameplay changes through a free patch. It shows dedication to their backers as opposed to the money-grubbing attitude that is so widespread in the industry. Kudos, Obsidian!

I too have to voice my support for the back-porting, it is nice to see a developer going above and beyond to support the community.

• Like 1