The consequences of political correctness

Namutree

Yeah, this is why I really dislike people's attempts at mockery using the same phrases their (usually left-leaning) opponents use. Words have meanings, and it's immediately apparent to anybody in the know that the string of words in question makes zero sense whatsoever. Good satire is supposed to also double as a perfect example of the thing it's satirizing, after all.

I think you dislike it as your kind is the target of it, rather than because of its quality. It should be almost passable as something produced from the one the attacker is trying to take the piss out of, but needs a bit of absurdity to give it a cutting edge - not a perfect example.

I disagree; to me, the Warhammer 40K universe is the perfect example of successful satire exactly because so many people are playing it straight nowadays.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

For that example 40k seems like uncreative thievery for most of the fluff rather than them trying to be clever.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"And so he says to me, you want to be a bad guy? and I say Yeah Baby! I want to be bad! I says Churchill space ponies I'm making gravy without the lumps! Ah ha ha ha ha haaaaa!!!!!" -- The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight

bomber2.jpg

That's about how hard I laughed reading that. :lol:

btw, the exit line o' The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight were as follows:

"You'll never prove a thing, copper, I'm just a part time electrician…bad is good, baby! Down with government!"

is funny.  is cartoony.  is like so many o' our resident conspiracy nutters from whom we hear frequent enough that the indiscretions o' _________  can't be proved (though it takes willful ignorance to fail your perception check) and those folks who likes to tell us that government ___________ is bad regardless o' the circumstances.  

"Oh, that's just uh, Boom Baby Boom! I'm the Evil Midnight Bomber what Bombs at Midnight!"

is a cartoon character, and just like junai, so many o' our resident boardies don't get the joke.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

For that example 40k seems like uncreative thievery for most of the fluff rather than them trying to be clever.

Well, to truly understand what it was all about, we'd have to go back to the first edition of Rogue Trader in the '80s; back then, the game made no secret out of it being very pointed satire built around the idea of a universe where fascism is objectively good. (Your point about uncreative thievery still stands, though; the source being 2000AD.)

Later writers have diluted this theme to the point of it being almost unrecognizable in the current incarnation of the game (well, some of it; I still maintain that Only War has strong satirical elements baked into it), but yeah. When even the next generation of your own line writers is fooled, it's time to salute on a job well done.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

So that would imply that people are to a certain degree inheritly racist? Like being racist is actually normal? (Biologically speaking)

Hohohohoo, now that would be politically incorrect to say in public, if anything.

"A man who speaks the truth will be chased out of nine villages."----Turkish proverb.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Well, to truly understand what it was all about, we'd have to go back to the first edition of Rogue Trader in the '80s; back then, the game made no secret out of it being very pointed satire built around the idea of a universe where fascism is objectively good. (Your point about uncreative thievery still stands, though; the source being 2000AD.)

Later writers have diluted this theme to the point of it being almost unrecognizable in the current incarnation of the game (well, some of it; I still maintain that Only War has strong satirical elements baked into it), but yeah. When even the next generation of your own line writers is fooled, it's time to salute on a job well done.

There is still a large amount of satire in W40k, even in Dark Heresy perhaps the grimmest part of the current line up, but a lot of it is missed simply because it is very English referential humour. The usual things to look out for are odd place names and small inconsequential details, that are usually throwbacks to farce or comedy of the seventies or eighties.

And of course the practically lustful fetishisation of the Astartes.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"I find this post offensive on the behalf of people i do not know and whose sensibilities that i cannot possibly feel"

ok, that shoulda' clued our resident seal-clubber into the mirth, but if it went over his head, your condemnation o' our "zoophobia" shoulda' erased any lingering doubts.  he took serious even so.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Oh please. Just because I turned up the heat a bit doesn't mean I missed Meshugger's satire. Actually I didn't find it all that funny, because I suspect Meshugger really does want to disagree with you. Or maybe that's just my projection on it. Not going to speculate. Someone needs to take a jab at you once in a while though. I'm tired of seeing the board barrister and his fanboys circle jerk and stroke each other's ego.

Gromnir's been baiting "snails" for months now. He's bored and looking for something to whip. For once I decided to jump in, because I think the snail-lable fits Gromnir better. He does point out one important thing however. Most conspiracy theorists makes asses of themselves and ruin the game for the serious contenders. But who is to say what's willfully stupid? Snails are dead quiet when buildings collapse, not because they're shocked, but because they're afraid to speak their minds until the tee-vee has established what's politically correct. When a raped 12 year old girl speaks up and she's referred to as a troublemaker, is she willfully stupid? When the family-members of 9/11 victims point out that the investigation was a sham, were they stupid? When Oliver Stone made JFK, was he stupid? Someone needs to shake snails out of their apathy.

J.

Of course I disagreed with Gromnir's post, but it was such an obvious bait that i wanted to have some fun with it. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So that would imply that people are to a certain degree inheritly racist? Like being racist is actually normal? (Biologically speaking)

Hohohohoo, now that would be politically incorrect to say in public, if anything.

"A man who speaks the truth will be chased out of nine villages."----Turkish proverb.

Why just nine?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"I find this post offensive on the behalf of people i do not know and whose sensibilities that i cannot possibly feel"

ok, that shoulda' clued our resident seal-clubber into the mirth, but if it went over his head, your condemnation o' our "zoophobia" shoulda' erased any lingering doubts.  he took serious even so.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Oh please. Just because I turned up the heat a bit doesn't mean I missed Meshugger's satire. Actually I didn't find it all that funny, because I suspect Meshugger really does want to disagree with you. Or maybe that's just my projection on it. Not going to speculate. Someone needs to take a jab at you once in a while though. I'm tired of seeing the board barrister and his fanboys circle jerk and stroke each other's ego.

Gromnir's been baiting "snails" for months now. He's bored and looking for something to whip. For once I decided to jump in, because I think the snail-lable fits Gromnir better. He does point out one important thing however. Most conspiracy theorists makes asses of themselves and ruin the game for the serious contenders. But who is to say what's willfully stupid? Snails are dead quiet when buildings collapse, not because they're shocked, but because they're afraid to speak their minds until the tee-vee has established what's politically correct. When a raped 12 year old girl speaks up and she's referred to as a troublemaker, is she willfully stupid? When the family-members of 9/11 victims point out that the investigation was a sham, were they stupid? When Oliver Stone made JFK, was he stupid? Someone needs to shake snails out of their apathy.

J.

clearly you did miss the satire, and retroactive is embarrassed. also, we hope you keep posting... we need more o' your highlight material.

"Sometimes "willful stoopid" is required to break the stranglehold of polical correctness and shake people out of their bourgeois apathy."

we couldn't make that nonsense up if we tried. sure, we called some o' you bat-crap crazy, but we didn't think you would help us illustrate quite so clear and immediate.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Always glad everyone here can be such **** to each other (though it is funny when the ones being that way are so annoyed with that behavior) :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Its nice that board hostility pretty much ends when you exit the controversial topics. Lots of heat in these threads, then back to the lighter topics and everyone gets along.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Its nice that board hostility pretty much ends when you exit the controversial topics. Lots of heat in these threads, then back to the lighter topics and everyone gets along.

It's mostly disingenuous. For the most part the same people who run around lowering the level of conversation with disrespect and by starting hostility are the same people making bad jokes and trolling.

Edited by Valsuelm

Until someone mentions Bioware.

"It's mostly disingenuous. For the most part the same people who run around lowering the level of conversation with disrespect and by starting hostility are the same people making bad jokes and trolling."

The only one trolling is you. Get over yourself. :)

As for political correctness, it is evil. Only nazis believe in it. And, the rest of it have to along or we would be murdered.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"It's mostly disingenuous. For the most part the same people who run around lowering the level of conversation with disrespect and by starting hostility are the same people making bad jokes and trolling."

As for political correctness, it is evil. Only nazis believe in it. And, the rest of it have to along or we would be murdered.

Yeah I don't think people are intentionally Trolling, I see people disagreeing with each other. This is not the same thing as Trolling

Always glad everyone here can be such **** to each other (though it is funny when the ones being that way are so annoyed with that behavior) :lol:

Never thought you were so sensitive, I see this thread as normal debate? What did you think of the GG thread if you feel people are being rude to others on this thread?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah I don't think people are intentionally Trolling, I see people disagreeing with each other. This is not the same thing as Trolling

Then you're blind. Or, as others have posited, a troll yourself.

Then again, perhaps you don't know what a troll is. Whoever made the forum rules certainly doesn't seem to know.

Hint:

Volourn's reply to myself that you quoted was a trolling post.

Edited by Valsuelm

"Volourn's reply to myself that you quoted was a trolling post."

\

No. Yours was. My post was a response to your troll since I'm easily trolled. You attacked everybody and now youa re mad that you got called out for it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Volourn's reply to myself that you quoted was a trolling post."

\

No. Yours was. My post was a response to your troll since I'm easily trolled. You attacked everybody and now youa re mad that you got called out for it.

:lol:  this made me laugh with its logic 

It is quite funny to think of people being accused of trolling but they were responding to a troll comment who in fact probably wasn't trolling but could have been... it potentially could go on and on .. :lol:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Never thought you were so sensitive, I see this thread as normal debate? What did you think of the GG thread if you feel people are being rude to others on this thread?

Did I say it was a bad thing? Rather entertaining to watch the spats people get into, though passive aggressive jabs are disappointing.

Edited by Malcador

clearly you did miss the satire, and retroactive is embarrassed. also, we hope you keep posting... we need more o' your highlight material.

"Sometimes "willful stoopid" is required to break the stranglehold of polical correctness and shake people out of their bourgeois apathy."

we couldn't make that nonsense up if we tried. sure, we called some o' you bat-crap crazy, but we didn't think you would help us illustrate quite so clear and immediate.  

HA! Good Fun!

Oh brother. This coming from a person who quibbled over the definition of 'irony' for twenty years, and is accused of "humour fail" so many times I've lost count. "Retroactive" is necessary when lawyers base their argument on a faulty premise. You seem to have some experience with that.

People who are willfully stupid are powerless, Grommie. "Willful stoopid" is a symptom, and you strengthen the disease the more you mock. Am not sure how Gromnir can swallow the politically correct nonsense in US media for so long, without reacting. Just goes to prove that being well adjusted to a profoundly sick society is no measure of mental health. I suppose prozac helps. Labeling people is counterproductive, and in this case helps strengthen the stranglehold of political correctness. Sure, I can drop the conspiracy schtick. But why would I? It's so much fun, and helps keep me sane when facing well-adjusted crazies.

J.

• Like 1

not even trying to discuss the topic anymore, eh?  oh well, we like junai quotables.  and yeah, mesh sarcasm clear went over your head.  if you want retroactive, we can review the posts again. sure mesh disagreed with us, but he were going over-the-top purposeful and you responded as if he were serious.

"People who are willfully stupid are powerless, Grommie. "Willful stoopid" is a symptom, and you strengthen the disease the more you mock."

good stuff. keep it coming.  is particularly amusing that you find labeling counterproductive. no doubt you has forgotten what you wrote in your previous posts, which is understandable considering that folks such as aluminiumtrioxid and others has expressed confusion regarding your meaning-- am suspecting you don't know any more than do they. regardless, if the intent is to entertain, you is proving successful.

however, we do feel compelled to offer some advice, mere because it would be intellectual dishonest to allow you to continue to make same error ad nauseum w/o offering you way out o' your predicament.  *shrug*  our advice is simple: say what you mean.  some folks thinks they got a gift for dressing up an argument so that what it lacks in insight it makes up for the dearth o' substance with literary frills.  perhaps this is a language barrier issue, but if it is, that is all the more reason you should keep your responses simple and straightforward.  whatever you believe you is trying to say, you is largely failing to do so because your attempts at erudition is... humorous.

am realizing that while our advice to junai is excellent, you will be less likely to accept it because Gromnir is the one offering it.  we has given similar advice to zor and val regarding their attempts to use legal relevant concepts or vocabulary. neither has paid us much heed. we don't expect you to be better than they are, but our advice is, as hard as it is to believe or accept, genuine. keep your arguments and language plain and simple.  

william faulkner once criticized hemingway by observing that mr. hemingway,  "had never been known to use a word that might send the reader to the dictionary."  faulkner were a brilliant author, but am thinking hemingway clear got the best o' the exchange when he replied with the following: “Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use." am suspecting junai knows the meanings o' individual words well enough, but when you string 'em together, you genuine mess'em up something fierce... and this advice is coming from a guy who purposeful posts in a ridiculous persona.  

personally, we don't believe that junai has anything to say that is worth listening to, but if you take our advice, at least you will sound less like a cartoon character.  if we thought your goal were to play the role o' The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight, we would applaud you. sadly, is clear to us that you wanna be taken serious. that ain't gonna happen if you keep posting as you is currently doing... and has done so, we suspect, for "twenty years."

HA! Good Fun!

I just found it on other forum

quite accurate

• Like 5

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Uh, i was just messing around with Gromnir with the same lingo as Anita K. & co uses, then things happened apparantly.

Yeah, this is why I really dislike people's attempts at mockery using the same phrases their (usually left-leaning) opponents use. Words have meanings, and it's immediately apparent to anybody in the know that the string of words in question makes zero sense whatsoever. Good satire is supposed to also double as a perfect example of the thing it's satirizing, after all.

To be fair, his opposition in this regard rarely makes any sense whatsoever.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!