435 Discussion

Sensuki

Good job on the Solid UI man. Functionally it's pretty much what I wanted. Gems instead of flaps. Nice and symmetrical and should go fairly well with Bester's UI Mod. Do you know if the background is segmented in the art file at all?

It *could* be more decorative ... but I'll play around with it a bit longer and see what would feel right. Sometimes simplicity is a virtue and that may or may not be the case here.

Thanks. Not completely happy with the HUD yet, and I imagine the blandness will be the primary criticism for this build since it's pretty much just a slab of wood right now. But I do think it cuts down on the noise and lets you focus on the functional parts of the UI, such as icons. Also the neutral colors play better with the background regardless of the colors of the environment. It's tricky business adding stuff down there since you want to stay out of the players way and let the environment take the spot light, but doing so without sacrificing interest or functionality.

As for the segmented background bit, the block is composed up of 3 textures. One for the gradient + bevel, one for the wood texture which gets multiplied on top and one for the faint carving detail that runs horizontally. The first gets "sliced" up by Unity which allows us to scale it without resolution concerns, and the later 2 are tileable. It's built in a very modular way so I don't think modders will have a hard time editing it.

Main criticism will probably be eye fatigue from not seeing the combat log and having to constantly shift down to the lower right and squint.

FFS @ Paladin auras, still broken out of combat.

FFS why are they even Combat Only? Why is "Combat Only" even a thing?

This is seriously pissing me off.

I'll have a chat to Bester later and see if we can fix the Interrupt bug for this patch's version of the IE mod. This being the final version of testing it's just not practical for an attribute to be broken for the purposes of attribute discussion.

That's a pretty serious oversight if they want some relevant feedback on the attributes, really. All the feedback they'll get will be completely off, and it's leaps and bounds worse than the Accuracy issue. Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

The patch notes say

Capes no longer clip with armor on the character's model.

No, they no longer do - not even connected to it in fact :p

Sorry? Looks perfectly fine to me:

v50mNGV.png GFkfMXc.png

;)

This needs work 

this needs a midget on the shoulders.

• Like 7

My general feedback is that the pacing of combat is almost not frantic any more on Normal and at normal speed, which is a great relief. :)

There are more talents to choose from at level up for those classes I've checked - the BB ones and the druid.

Graphically, everything is great, down to new character models and hairs and new icons and UI elements. Even the spell effects have been toned down a lot. Thanks for that! I'm very happy with it all (except for one thing, those greyish-slightly transparent models in game, for instance the Medreth gang and the beetles - they don't look solid enough. I'd so very much would love to see this be on par with WL2 in this regard.)

Unity seems a bit slow when it comes to text elements, for instance on my loading screens, I see the texts first breaking out of its window, only to get reformatted into it, one second later.

I know this will be a game I will savour for a loooong time, and it certainly screams replayability.

Finally, as for the robot army problem of our party, I still reckon it's there, so it would need some random algorithm to make it look more natural (once again, WL2 is a nice ref point). And indeed, we have idle animation in combat - very nice and handy. Yay! :)

A big thumbs up!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I approve of this new build.

Overall it's looking like it will be good at release which is a relief since I feared the game would be mediocre. Hopefully that means the game will be great once we get an expansion.

It certainly runs better than the previous build so that's neat.

I know this will be a game I will savour for a loooong time, and it certainly screams replayability.

Reading your posts makes me hungry.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Will inquire about the cc/inventory/level up screens.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes the command msaa works, although I don't think it does anything in the inventory / character creation / level up screen

It definitely works in the game world though

Thanks for clarifying. Does it improve the 'flicker' on the 3D models, primarily the characters?

• Like 1

Sensuki, can you like... do a single post with all your thoughts and observations instead of posting every 1-3 minutes new post? Would be more legible and easier to find for those of us interested instead of jumping post by post. Thanks.

As a Mac peasant, has the interrupt bug been fixed in the second upload?

Haha Mac Peasant. A poor farmer who spends all his harvest earnings on a super shiny, expensive plough that struggles with anything but the softest fields. BUT it's a god damn sexy looking plough.

Edited by BlueLion
  • Like 5

Sensuki, can you like... do a single post with all your thoughts and observations instead of posting every 1-3 minutes new post? Would be more legible and easier to find for those of us interested instead of jumping post by post. Thanks.

I haven't played the build enough to give a 'thoughts and observations' but the purpose of frequently posting is that this is an ongoing discussion where people playing the build can get the latest updates.

Once everything settles, I'm sure that there will be actual discussion. For the next while I'm probably going to be focusing on updating my bug thread and reporting new bugs.

• Like 1

Reading his posts through this thread was propably most enjoyable thing to do, so no, please don't stop :d

• Like 2

Man I'm so surprised this game runs so well on my crappy MBP, and the graphics look good. Amazing. I need to buy a mouse now, instead of using the trackpad.  grin.gif

You can thank the programmers for that one. They are slaving away trying to get the game running well on low-end systems.

I'm not playing the beta, but this makes me happy. I've got a 2.13GHz dual core CPU and a Radeon 6450, and my PC is literally incapable of upgrading any more. I am REALLY looking forward to this game, and I hope like mad that my PC will run it. I'll be so disappointed if it doesn't.

I do think they have improved the lighting and ambient maps of the Dyrford Village, Dyrford Crossing and many of the Dyrford Buildings. Ogre Cave doesn't appear to have been touched though, characters (and the area) look noticeably bland/faded compared to the others.

Don't like that new stuck fx. Far too cluttered and doesn't even indicate 'stuck' to me.

Neither, all they needed was some very minor FX at the base of a unit.

White 'links' show engagement?

Might be a bug, I think they're supposed to be red?

FYI - There's a new 'foreboding' music track in the Ogre Cave, I don't recall it being there before but then again I have played with music disabled for many builds.

Edited by Sensuki

Elder Bears still hit for ridiculous damage lol. Not as much as before, but still 50 damage on a hit through 12 DT is probably a bit high.

They also have 95 Accuracy or something, compared to your party's ~30-50

With the changes to damage calculation, no Accuracy from Perception and the nerf to DT bypassing weapons it's very difficult to punch through their DR 9 and actually take them down without some bullsh1t combo, meanwhile you're getting hit for 30-80 damage a hit from them and Korgrak.

Edited by Sensuki