What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Last night I made beef wellington but dunno yet what's going down tonight

I haven't had much of an appetite so maybe just some soup

Beef Wellington is delicious, how did it turn out?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having stress with a side of anxiety. Maybe some worry for dessert. Or I might have beer for lunch in which case the dinner menu will change. :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I got my appetite back and felt like cooking so this past week I made some mussels in a beer sauce that turned out amazing and also a nice lamb stew that people kept dropping by to taste and was even better the next day

Gah. I was going to beer braise mussels yesterday but my fish market ran out. Used clams instead. Still pretty good but not the same thing.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I got my appetite back and felt like cooking so this past week I made some mussels in a beer sauce that turned out amazing and also a nice lamb stew that people kept dropping by to taste and was even better the next day

Your wife must love the fact you are such a good cook, does she cook?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Gah. I was going to beer braise mussels yesterday but my fish market ran out. Used clams instead. Still pretty good but not the same thing.

there is one decent fish market in sacramento. one.  if sunh were located in the bay area, it would not even deserve mention, but there simple ain't another genuine option for us.  customer service is inconsistent, though typically excellent.  o' more serious concern, while has only happened a very limited number o' times in the past decade, Gromnir has been disappointed with the quality o' their product.  

am making our monkfish gumbo tomorrow and friday.  is two days 'cause we got no fish stock on hand. today we will be picking up from sunh what is essentially fish garbage to make a gallon o' stock. we feel no guilt over freezing stock, so we always make extra. unfortunately, our extra is all gone.  

am having fingers crossed in hope that we get good crayfish and monkfish.

first friday after ash wednesday/carnival, we always makes monkfish gumbo.

y'know, given how predictable is Gromnir, we would be extreme easy to assassinate.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps the key to good fish stock is quality fish heads... which we suspect sounds a bit odd.  the white-grey goo that leeches outta the fish heads as they steam is what makes for a flavorful fish stock, and good fish stock is the most underappreciated element o' good gumbo. so, don't forget the fish heads.  haddock heads, properly cleaned and de-gilled (is "de-gilled" correct?  sounds wrong in our head) is our 1st choice for our fish stock.  if you want a less... fishy(?) stock, just use flatfish bones.

pps don't forget to de-gill heads.  *shudder*  made that mistake once.  am not sure what exactly is in gill, but it makes the stock foul.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^Also curious but I doubt my wife would let me make it

Bruce, my wife cooks a lot also but mostly breakfast and I'm actually not a big fan of breakfast. She used to cook a lot more but after the first time I cooked for her she pretty much designated me head chef

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

^Also curious but I doubt my wife would let me make it

Bruce, my wife cooks a lot also but mostly breakfast and I'm actually not a big fan of breakfast. She used to cook a lot more but after the first time I cooked for her she pretty much designated me head chef

:thumbsup: " head chef " 

John Milton 

haddock for heads.   split the heads open lengthwise. cod or even sole is worthy replacements for heads. haddock seems to give us most flavorful head goo.  2 big heads should be good... use additional heads if smallish... less than 5". 

use an additional 4-5.5 lbs o' flatfish bones/tail cut into 2-3" chunks.  am not too picky with our flatfish choice. usually whatever they got available: turbot, sole, flounder or whatever the guy behind the counter suggests when we ask for 6lbs o' flatfish bones.

again, am making a gallon o' liquid gold, so it only seems like a considerable amount o' fish remains.

get as much o' the extraneous blood globules cleaned from bones and heads before adding to your pot.

HA! Good Fun!

ps  your house should not be too fishy after you is finished.  this is fish stock rather than chicken or beef.  time simmering is reduced.

pps oily fish such as salmon is bad for obvious reasons.  or 'least, the reasons should be obvious.  weren't obvious to Gromnir til after the firstest time we tried with salmon.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

haddock for heads.   split the heads open lengthwise. cod or even sole is worthy replacements for heads. haddock seems to give us most flavorful head goo.  2 big heads should be good... use additional heads if smallish... less than 5". 

use an additional 4-5.5 lbs o' flatfish bones/tail cut into 2-3" chunks.  am not too picky with our flatfish choice. usually whatever they got available: turbot, sole, flounder or whatever the guy behind the counter suggests when we ask for 6lbs o' flatfish bones.

again, am making a gallon o' liquid gold, so it only seems like a considerable amount o' fish remains.

get as much o' the extraneous blood globules cleaned from bones and heads before adding to your pot.

HA! Good Fun!

ps  your house should not be too fishy after you is finished.  this is fish stock rather than chicken or beef.  time simmering is reduced.

pps oily fish such as salmon is bad for obvious reasons.  or 'least, the reasons should be obvious.  weren't obvious to Gromnir til after the firstest time we tried with salmon.

Yum, that sounds delicious 

John Milton 

Gah. There's a ready supply of discrete salmon heads and catfish heads at my fish market. Will have to ask the fish guy if he's got some haddock heads in the back.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Gah. There's a ready supply of discrete salmon heads and catfish heads at my fish market. Will have to ask the fish guy if he's got some haddock heads in the back.

give the catfish a go, though catfish is a bloody fish and blood is bad for the stock.

our biggest mistake when making stock o' any variety is that we tend to overdo all the secondary elements.  am needing to remind self that we ain't making soup or gumbo or whatever. for stock we need mirepoix, a bit o' white wine, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, parsley and thyme (typical we do a cheesecloth herb bag for peppercorns, parsley and thyme and simple pick out the 4-5 bay leaves we use) but we is always itching to add... more.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

ps we only use the herb bag 'cause we is lazy.  the stock is gonna need be strained with a fine mesh given all the little fish bits that is gonna in the liquid.  what is point of herb bag if you is straining anyways?  'cause you is also gonna wanna skim the fish foam whilst simmering w/o removing too much o' your herbs... which is harder than it sounds. thyme leaves, in particular, float on top o' the foam.

Edited by Gromnir

y'know, particular for a catfish gumbo, am thinking we would go with crayfish heads (or shrimp heads) and catfish parts for the stock.  next week will experiment.

HA! Good Fun! 

pps don't forget to de-gill heads. *shudder* made that mistake once. am not sure what exactly is in gill, but it makes the stock foul.

Maybe settled blood? Gills have a lot of capillaries attached to them, so that'd seem a possibility.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I love catfish filleted and blackened. That is good stuff. Farm raised only for me though. Wild catfish have some nasty eating habits. When I catch them they get put back.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Both, except that I like bacon but usually on or with other things. I don't like most breakfast foods though but I like cereal for dinner every now and then.

Unless there's a Waffle House in which case I may need to be rolled out.

EDIT- I don't like chocolate or most sweets either :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Put oily fish in the microwave and you'll be reminded the next 48 hours what you had for dinner... :p

Didn't cook it myself, but had tandoori prawns and chargrilled squid yesterday. It was quite delicious.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

if anybody got advice for catfish gumbo, let us know.  am a one-trick pony when it comes to catfish.  we gut/clean the fish w/o removing the head and after scoring 3-4 times vertical along length, we light egg and dredge and throw whole into an enormous deep fryer pot. honestly have not prepared catfish any other way in years.  so, if anybody got advice on catfish gumbo, we will listen attentively.

HA! Good Fun!

Going to the Warriors game tonight and was originally planning on picking up some illicit bacon-wrapped hotdogs with all the fixings --grilled onions, peppers, ketchup, mayo, mustard, hot sauce...but now, I may go with the fried catfish they sell in concessions.