What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Going to the Warriors game tonight and was originally planning on picking up some illicit bacon-wrapped hotdogs with all the fixings --grilled onions, peppers, ketchup, mayo, mustard, hot sauce...but now, I may go with the fried catfish they sell in concessions.

take fingerling potatoes that has been cleaned and dried and individual wrap 'em with 1/2 piece o' bacon apiece.  light salt and pepper.  bake 50-55 at 400 degrees.

oh sure, they is ridiculous simple and delicious, but am pretty sure each one you eat increases your chance o'  a heart attack by 1%.  pure evil.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

if anybody got advice for catfish gumbo, let us know.  am a one-trick pony when it comes to catfish.  we gut/clean the fish w/o removing the head and after scoring 3-4 times vertical along length, we light egg and dredge and throw whole into an enormous deep fryer pot. honestly have not prepared catfish any other way in years.  so, if anybody got advice on catfish gumbo, we will listen attentively.

HA! Good Fun!

I generally prefer catfish fried with hush puppies or blackened but if you want to add it to a gumbo, cut it into 1" cubes and add it when the gumbo is close to being done - maybe 15 minutes or less.  Don't overcook the catfish.  You want it flaky.    If you've got the roux down, you're halfway there.   My favorite gumbo is the chicken/andouille Gumbo Ya-Ya from Mr. B's Bistro.  It is heaven and is arguably the best gumbo in the state of Louisiana.    Here's the recipe:

http://www.mrbsbistro.com/recipes_gumbo.php

mr_b_s_bistro_gumbo.jpg

White beans, mushed tomatoes, potatoes, herbs and spiced with one of the hottest chili on earth. It needs to be super hot. Might not be looking very fancy but it tastes wonderful. 

woldanchili_zps8cpzrxjw.jpg

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Todays lunch will consists of char siu (chinese bbq pork) and a yogurt.

Char Siu is great. I like it with jasmine rice and steamed chinese vegetables. It's perfect in fried rice.

My favorite is when it's served with a bowl of wonton noodle soup: al dente alkaline egg noodles; ground pork, shrimp, and sesame oil mixed wontons; in a rich broth made from long simmered pork bone and dried salty fish.

o.jpg

Hands down the best noodle soup in the world.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Char Siu is great. I like it with jasmine rice and steamed chinese vegetables. It's perfect in fried rice.

My favorite is when it's served with a bowl of wonton noodle soup: al dente alkaline egg noodles; ground pork, shrimp, and sesame oil mixed wontons; in a rich broth made from long simmered pork bone and dried salty fish.

Hands down the best noodle soup in the world.

Wonton soup is one of my all time favorites but I don't recall ever seeing it served with egg noodles. Ill have to inquire next time I go. thumbsup.gif

Char Siu is great. I like it with jasmine rice and steamed chinese vegetables. It's perfect in fried rice. My favorite is when it's served with a bowl of wonton noodle soup: al dente alkaline egg noodles; ground pork, shrimp, and sesame oil mixed wontons; in a rich broth made from long simmered pork bone and dried salty fish. Hands down the best noodle soup in the world.

Wonton soup is one of my all time favorites but I don't recall ever seeing it served with egg noodles. Ill have to inquire next time I go. thumbsup.gif

A reputable Chinatown dive should have it. Much less likely to find it in the suburbs.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Noodle soups ranked:

1) Wonton Noodle Soup with char siu (Hong Kong)

2) Laksa (Singapore)

3) Bakmi Ayam (Indonesia)

4) Pho - and don't skip out on the tendon (Vietnam)

5) Tonkotsu Ramen (Japan)

Granted, noodles in hot broth is pretty much the perfect food, but these five stand out.

• Like 2

Breakfast burritos with hashbrowns, chorizo, eggs, fresh jalapenos, onions, lime, and jack cheese. Paired with Irish whiskey and tequila.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I had a delicious Eisbein  for dinner which I fried in oil for extra crispiness ..it was soooooooooo good

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I had a delicious Eisbein  for dinner which I fried in oil for extra crispiness ..it was soooooooooo good

Not familiar with this.

Not familiar with this.

Pickled ham hock?

Sounds good to me but I've only had ham hocks boiled in either mustard and/or collard greens

I have just realized I think in SA we use the wrong description of Eisbein, its a crsipy pork knuckle..its looks like this

http://route24pub.co.za/?attachment_id=1051

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have just realized I think in SA we use the wrong description of Eisbein, its a crsipy pork knuckle..its looks like this

http://route24pub.co.za/?attachment_id=1051

Yeah, most likely... that is roasted pork and Eisbein usually refers to cured ham hock boiled long enough to make it "edible" - and I use edible very loosely here. :biggrin:

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• 6 months later...

I made my wife a beet salad with arugula, goat cheese, and chopped walnuts. I made the dressing with hazelnut oil, lemon, honey, and some weird orange champagne vinegar

I had some packaged ramen, one oriental (doesn't seem very PC) and one chicken flavor, with some leftover pork rib meat tossed in

That was lunch. Dinner is looking like homemade pizza.

Free games updated 3/4/21

another culinerdy cruzer friday.  went with the bahn jovi and the tempura green beans for our side.

hmmm... am recalling seeing a video for the sandwich.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family/videos/bahn-jovi-sandwiches-home-family

we almost pulled the trigger on the panty-dropper burger.  1/2 burger on texas toast with fire roasted tomatoes, mac n' cheese, bacon, More cheese and the house sauce. am thinking that main reason we were gonna order is simple so we could actual ask for a panty-dropper. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thinking of making a grilled mac and cheese sandwich with bacon and a side of tomato and red pepper soup

Let's see if the missus goes for it

it annoys us that our tomato soups, with almost few exceptions, taste better when we use canned tomatoes. wth. unless we go through the effort o' actual roasting our tomatoes, it is our experience that canned tomatoes is superior for our soup.  am not certain why that admission bothers us so much, but it does.

our roasted red pepper and tomatoes soup that is actual superior with fresh  tomatoes is simple.  roast the red pepper (cored and halved), tomatoes (cored and halved), garlic (skinned) and onion (skinned and quartered) with a little (too much) olive oil.  puree vegetables, any roasting pan drippings and brown stuff, plus a couple seeded chipotle peppers.  add stock and heat... bit o' salt and a smidgen o' sugar if is too acidic. cilantro or basil both compliment well.  but this is pretty much our only recipe for tomato soup that requires fresh tomatoes.   weird.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1