What you did today

Tale

Since nothing sucks more than having chicken legs and a weak back I did 5 sets dead lifts +2 max lifts and 120kg dumbbell squats with a really narrow stance (feet touching), 5 sets of 10 reps. Feels like picking up two 60kg suitcases over and over again. 

Simple, effective and really brutal, just how I like it.  :sweat:

I could have used you at my place today. I'm upgrading the fence around my property to a 5' 3-rail with field wire. I spent the day dragging bundles of 5 creosote coated 8' fence posts through the woods. I guarantee your calves would be burning just as bad as after that weight session.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I built my own fence a while ago so I totally get you, though I was dragging around a truckload of wooden planks instead of the wire. But what exhausts me the most is swinging the two handed 10lbs sledgehammer like a madman. Several dozens time no problem, great endurance training and its fun beating the hell out of poles with a giant hammer, after a couple hundred swings however it starts to get really tiring. Especially if the soil is dry which makes the pointy ends of the wooden poles flatten out after the third hit, then you really have to beat that pole like your life depends on it. 

/ Redneck problems. Yeeehaww! 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

What the heck kind of fence can you build by hammering the posts into the ground?  Surely you're not going to get a post deep enough to support a fence of any useful height (or strength) by just hammering it in?  Sledgehammers are notoriously ineffective at generating downward force to an object at the user's eye-level. 

You use one of these, drop your post in, then fill around it!  (With concrete, if you're particularly serious.)

317PW1SB5FL.jpg

Edited by Enoch

What the heck kind of fence can you build by hammering the posts into the ground?  Surely you're not going to get a post deep enough to support a fence of any useful height (or strength) by just hammering in the posts?  Sledgehammers are notoriously ineffective at generating downward force to an object at the user's eye-level. 

You use one of these, drop your post in, then fill around it!

317PW1SB5FL.jpg

That's how I do it. Only I'm setting them in concrete. This fence isn't going anywhere.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's always embarrassing when a post of mine gets quoted before I have the opportunity to edit it...

Anyhow, today I played with the youngin'.  We got 7 or so inches of snow yesterday, and the local infrastructure isn't particularly well equipped to deal with that sort of thing.  The office was closed yesterday, but open on a 2-hour delay (because lots of side-streets hadn't been plowed yet) today.  However, most the schools in the area were closed outright.  And that forced the youngin's day care center to close as well, as lots of the staff had to stay home to mind their own kids.  So I took some unscheduled leave. 

He has developed an unfortunate habit of including "biting the shirt of the other person" in the concept of "hugging."

Edited by Enoch

How do you know the posts are eye height and what the function of the fence will be?  It might be thigh high and decorative.  ...But, yeah, I would use a post hole digger myself.  Except when I lived in Moreno Valley, in which case I would use a jack hammer.  ...Or maybe hack at the dirt for a while with a pick axe, get tired, and sit around looking at the ground while drinking a beer.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

After the incident with the Cold Creek Mystery Monster (which still hasn't been explained to my satisfaction) I figured a good fence will at least keep the coyotes off the porch, and keep the dogs out of trouble. 

Thomas Sowell

What the heck kind of fence can you build by hammering the posts into the ground?  Surely you're not going to get a post deep enough to support a fence of any useful height (or strength) by just hammering it in?

If it didn't work I wouldn't have done it that way, don't ya think?. A post digger is nice as long as you have soft, loose earth, not full roots. Also no matter what I do, when using a post digger I cannot compress the earth around it enough to make it solid. I tried compressing it in layers but that took me forever. Hammering it down (70 centimeters) takes strength but in the end I find it to be stronger. And a sledge hammer is no problem as long as use use a plate that protects the post from the impact. I'm talking about 17x17cm posts here. I dug one out and while the tip flattened out the shape remained largely intact and so did the protective tar layer.

For what its worth, my neighbor who is a farmer built his cow fence in the same manner. *edit* I also know somebody who has machine attached to his tractor that pushes down those posts, like magic.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Would love to air some grief involving local mid-eighties temperatures, low-twenties humidity, and a bacon-searing UV index today, but then I see what weather is like on the east coast and I feel no grief, just relief.  Hardy har har, frozen suckers. This sunburn is killing me. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I drank a lot of alcohol and I'm not drunk.

I think this calls for vodka.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

What the heck kind of fence can you build by hammering the posts into the ground?  Surely you're not going to get a post deep enough to support a fence of any useful height (or strength) by just hammering it in?  Sledgehammers are notoriously ineffective at generating downward force to an object at the user's eye-level. 

You use one of these, drop your post in, then fill around it!  (With concrete, if you're particularly serious.)

317PW1SB5FL.jpg

well, to be fair, if you is using steel posts, you drive 'em without digging a hole...

6229322.JPG

but that clearly ain't what woldan were talking about.  Gromnir has spent considerable time creating and repairing barbwire fences, and we almost never bothered with concrete as the wire provides most o' the support.  back-fill holes with dirt or a combo o' pea gravel and sand is typical sufficient. 

however, we did get a chuckle o' picturing woldan trying to drive wooden post fencing with a sledgehammer.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Earthen ramparts are the hip way to do fences. Today, remembered why I dislike Eclipse after being compelled to use it. Though Android Studio's not that much better.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Okay, guys, the best way to get a fence done is to contact the home owners association and tell them to fix the damned fence.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

england built an economic world empire with fences. the enclosure acts were essential for the english industrial revolution.  'course those were typical labor intensive stone walls.

hedgerows would be our choice o' fencing, but they take a wee bit more time to erect and they obviously ain't ideal for the dakota badlands. oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Do they do a good job of repelling invaders, though ? That is the true test of any fence

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Do they do good job of repelling invaders, though ? That is the true test of any fence

hmmm, our barbwire fences could repel sheep, goats, cattle and horses... most o' the time.  deer, sadly, had what we estimate as a 5%-10% fail rate.  is not that our fencing would stop them, but something a bit greater than ~1 in 20 chance, the deer would almost make it over the fence. "almost" is bad with barbwire.  at least once a month we would need repair fencing and remove the carcass o' a deer that mostly made it over the barbwire.  

found more than a couple coyotes tangled in the wire over the years. we suspect they were chasing something that were small enough to get through the 3 or 5-strand fencing we used.  the coyote obviously weren't small enough... but that were just guesses.

so, as long as the invaders were limited to near mindless livestock, we believe we had a good chance with our barbwire.  unless we is talking of cattle driven to stampede.

well, we figure the maginot line didn't fare all that well either.

HA! Good Fun!

I thought you were a city mouse from the bay area, Grom.  You tellin' me you're a country lad?  Moved back to indigenous parts?

...And, the Great Wall, at very least, was to make it harder on the invaders making off with loot more than to completely keep them out.

Obsidian Plays

I swear it's barbed wire.

you would be correct.  'course we typical just say "bar'war" so you shouldn't listen to us in pronunciation or spelling.

as to cant's query, technically we live 45 Long minutes outside ____________ .  we got a highway commute, so we is traveling 65 mph (perhaps a smidgen more) most o' the way.  however, it ain't like we is a country mouse... not anymore.  gated community. we live on the 15th fairway. heck, we evn got that fancy indoor plumbing. not a country mouse.  however, we grew up in the armpit o' america: the dakota badlands.  spent the first 12.5 years o' our life on a ranch at pine ridge, and every summer thereafter til we went away to University. were reminding us o' our humble beginnings... to build character. apparently shoveling horse $#@% builds character.  even now, we is chock full o' character. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

The 15th is a Par 5, isn't it ... I knew it. 

hmmm. it seems we gave up too much.

we mean the 3rd fairway, yeah. 3rd.  

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, I remember you being part native American.  I'm a quarter Mexican myself.  <.<

Anyhow, Today the wife and I walked to the grocery, me wearing my weight vest and she wearing my backpack.  She's *hates* exercise, but she's a trooper so she hauled back quite a bit of groceries, including my beer and a bottle of vino for me to enjoy tonight.  I've been simmering a small bit o' tri-tip for shredded beef burritos, Spanish rice, and refried black beans.  I usually make my own refried beans fresh, but I've been a bit rundown since Thursday so it's canned tonight.

Obsidian Plays

Ohmigosh I just had a torta yesterday with machaca, avocado, refried beans, and I had them add papitas, little potatoes. It was amazing, but there is not enough gaseous bodies in the galaxy to make up for the wind from that sandwich. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Yeah, I remember you being part native American.  I'm a quarter Mexican myself.  <.<

am s'posing it would be more appropriate to say we is part white.  our maternal grandmother were half 1/4 polish and 1/4 lithuanian.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps over the years, we has tried not to use our whiteness as an excuse.  sure, it is a handicap we must overcome daily, but we persevere even so.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

Do they do a good job of repelling invaders, though ? That is the true test of any fence

In my case, yes it will:

post-10997-1256767100_thumb.jpg

Thomas Sowell