The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread..

Raithe

Mt. Dew, Cheez crackers, they knew how to game-party even then. ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Y-wings dogfighting, ha ha ha. Well that and torpedoes with smoke trail but at this point hardly something.

Music could be better though.

I have to admit...

I fell out of my chair. I was hollering. I dragged my roommates to see it. They were hollering too.

Thanks for making my day. It only needed a TIE Defender to make it complete.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Trejo's Tacos

TrejoTaco.jpg

Hey kids, do you love tacos? Of course you do! Do you love grizzled badass character actor Danny Trejo? Who doesn't? Do you want both of them at once? Now you can!

According to L.A. Eater, Trejo will be opening up his own taco shack, to be called Trejo's Tacos, sometime within the month. It promised to serve cantina small-bites food, be a casual walk-up style joint (called "fast-casual" in restaurant lingo), and will serve wine and beer. Trejo's Tacos will be taking over an old Taco Bell building, which is certainly a triumph of some sort.

Also according to Eater, Trejo applied for a full liquor license (which would allow the serving of hard alcohol), but was denied. No tequila-drinking contests, friends.

Danny Trejo, 70, was last seen in a movie called The Night Crew, although he is perhaos best known for his appearances in Robert Rodriguez' films Machete, Spy Kids, and Desperado. He has about a dozen more films planned, or currently in post-production. He is one of the most prolific actors working.

The restaurant will be located at 1048 S. La Brea, Los Angeles, CA. Go have lunch, esé.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

IndayStar - GenCon threatens to move States if Governor signs Religious Freedom Bill

The organizers of Gen Con, the city's largest convention in attendance and economic impact, are threatening to move the event elsewhere if Gov. Mike Pence signs controversial religious freedom legislation that could allow business owners to refuse services to same-sex couples.

"Legislation that could allow for refusal of service or discrimination against our attendees will have a direct negative impact on the state's economy, and will factor into our decision-making on hosting the convention in the state of Indiana in future years," said Adrian Swartout, owner and CEO of Gen Con LLC, in a letter sent to Pence just hours after lawmakers sent the measure to his desk.

Gen Con's website describes the convention as "the original, longest-running, best-attended gaming convention in the world!" The conference attracted 56,000 people last year to the Indiana Convention Center and has an annual economic impact of more than $50 million, Swartout said in the letter.

"Gen Con proudly welcomes a diverse attendee base, made up of different ethnicities, cultures, beliefs, sexual orientations, gender identities, abilities, and socio-economic backgrounds," she wrote. "We are happy to provide an environment that welcomes all, and the wide-ranging diversity of our attendees has become a key element to the success and growth of our convention."

Gen Con is under contract to hold the conference in Indianapolis through 2020. Conference spokeswoman Stacia Kirby said there are no plans to break the contract. But the state's adoption of the measure would factor into future decisions, she said.

Chris Gahl, vice president of marketing and communication for Visit Indy, the city's tourism bureau, said the organization took a position weeks ago against the bill.

Gahl said Gen Con told Visit Indy about the letter before releasing it publicly. He said no other current clients have expressed concern but potential clients have emailed asking about the bill.

"Our concern is that there could be a misperception with this bill that doesn't paint a picture of being a warm, welcoming, hospitable place," Gahl said. "It doesn't align with the brand that is Indianapolis, and for that matter, Indiana. Because it could impact our ability to win convention business down the road — and keep convention business — we raised our hand and said we do have a concern."

Gahl noted, however, that 19 other states have a similar law, including Illinois. Chicago, Gahl said, is a top competitor of Indy's convention business.

The NCAA men's Final Four will be in Indianapolis next week. The NCAA also puts on the March Madness Music Festival, which includes the band Bleachers, whose lead singer, Jack Antonoff, has been outspoken in support of gay marriage.
"We are examining the details of this bill, however, the NCAA national office is committed to an inclusive environment," said a statement from the Indy-based organization.

Pence, who has said he intends to sign the measure, was undeterred by Gen Con's letter.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sorry not trying to stomp, but Dags the weather goddess just told me March was the hottest on average since 1874. With an eight. 

Dags certainly wasn't talking about where I live, or where a lot of other people live.

H4KDZcw.jpg

Came across this photo of an F-4, was pretty cool

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sorry if repost, but this object is around two thousand years old.

I wonder if Jesus rolled a 20 every time ... 

http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/551072?img=0

DNDBC_zpsmiu2qbxn.jpg

That should make a mockery of all those D20 patents where people claim to have invented the D20...

Dice Patents

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That reminds me a bit of whatsitsname that old movie, Minority Report? Where crime could be predicted. Now we just need to enforce surgery and incarceration of people where statistics say they are genetically disposed towards crime (and/or genetic diseases) laughing.gif

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Precogs would be pretty awesome. Im more thinking after-the-fact though. Its very difficult to not leave DNA around so capturing the perpetrator, or at least identifying them, would be a simple matter. That would have a trickle down effect of everyone knowing that they wouldn't be able to get away with committing crimes, so they would be significantly less inclined to try, imo. Spur of the moment crimes of passion would obviously fall outside of this disincentive.

Go figure the moderators here advocating some sort of dystopic police state. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

:lol:

Nope, Im willing to give them enough rope to hang themselves, then go round them up. Preferably with a drone. :p

I thought it was drones deploying dogs with pepper spray cannons on their backs.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Nope, Im willing to give them enough rope to hang themselves, then go round them up. Preferably with a drone. :p

I thought it was drones deploying dogs with pepper spray cannons on their backs.

You sir are a genius! My idea was merely pepper spray and net guns but dogs add a whole new layer of hilarity!

Iceland Completes DNA Records for Entire Nation.

I wish we would record the DNA of every single person in the US. Just a drop of blood at birth, no muss, no fuss. Crime would be slashed. Oh, and good for medical stuff blah blah.

Over my and a lot of other people's dead bodies would that ever happen.

Yeah, I know. But a fella can dream cant he?

You sir are a genius! My idea was merely pepper spray and net guns but dogs add a whole new layer of hilarity!

Really?  I could have sworn there was a thread where dogs and pepper spray cannons on their back was mentioned and that was linked back to drone deployment.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yep, dachshunds with pepper spray cannons on their back. Deployed into action from airborne drone carriers.