Dev sends death threat to Valve CEO, has game removed from STEAM

Kaftan Barlast

"For example its become normal and acceptable for some people who support GG to make rape statements and death threats against feminists."

No, it hasn't. Don't lie.

"Anthropologists and sociologists have studied in detail cultures and societies all over the world, where death threats are part and parcel of linguistic intensifers and even outright accepted behaviour venting frustration and anger."

You just repeated what I said. In some situations it is acceptable and others it is not. Duh. It's udnerstood that in some palces and situations (like a family member or friend) that you can utter 'dramatic death threats' without it being meant and in others it is not.  Duh.

Is hard to convey tone over the internet, "I'm going to kill you" sounds the same as "I'm going to kill you".

He should had added an emoticon or LOL afterwards

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If you punish an offender that wasnt rationally aware of the consequences of his actions, you're just giving in to your base and primitive desire for vengeance... which is not what civilized people should do.

It's not as much punishment as it's backlash, he's not in jail - he's being hurt financially and socially.

This is basic rehabilitation - you do stupid **** that dangers the social cohesion, you get excluded and have a time out to think about what you did. No prison or freedom infringements, just good old social stigma.

Fortune favors the bald.

I take it out at the weekend.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If you're a developer selling a game on Steam, it's probably not the best idea in the world to tweet a death threat to theguy who owns Steam. That's what indie developer Mike Maulbeck did earlier today, though, and it's now something he probably regrets. The day should have started off pretty well! Maulbeck's game, Paranautical Activity, was included as part of a Steam store section highlighting Halloween-themed games. 

Only, it was listed as an Early Access title, not a final product (the game had been only recently completed). That mistake sent Maulbeck into a Twitter tirade.

http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-1648678869

But if you read the article, it becomes clear that the headline should have read "Valve reads frustrated man's private twitter feed, then removes the game he helped make from STEAM"

Some guy got mad about his indie game not launching smoothly on steam and wrote some angry tweets to his friends and followers, and because of that, STEAM took his game down. Then to make it even sillier, some game journalist goes off and spins the mess into a "That showed him!" story. The guy didnt send Gabe Newell anything, he essentially said "Im gonna kill 'em!" which is a perfectly natural reaction to being angry and frustrated. I've mumbled way worse thing about Ingvar Kamprad when assembling IKEA furniture.

What bussiness do Valve have reading some dudes private twitter feed? And how thin-skinned are they to go to the trouble of tracking down which game he made and removing it as revenge? And how does this **** even qualify as news?

Business is for grown ups, and whatever the trend is (edit: for Twitter openness) now, you just don't trashtalk your key business partners.

End of.

I'm a wee bit astonished anyone is surprised by this.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well,

Ha, our society is way more tolerant of stupidity than it used to be. Accountability is a rare thing, it is refreshing to see someone deal with actual consequences to moronic actions.

I wouldn't call it moronic. A lot of people seem to struggle with the way the internet interfaces with real life. They think just because twitter's deliberately casual that it makes everything you do with it casual.

I don't think the guy's an idiot, but it's really not a professional way to handle the situation. Not with (presumably) tens of thousands of dollars on the line. Going through Steam makes Valve his partners in getting his product out. Not a service provider you get narked with.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I disagree.

It's rash, emotional, but harmless. Face it, we ALL did things like that many times. Is it really fair to be so heavily "punished" for something like that?

Also, twitter is public in the way your house with open doors is. It's still your house.

One has to come inside to hear what you're saying.

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I disagree.

It's rash, emotional, but harmless.

It's not harmless. It's treating a partner in a serious business venture like they've made a mistake - which may not be the case. Even if they have, they deserve consideration.

I wouldn't do business with anyone who badmouthed me the first time anything went wrong.

Rash and emotional are not qualities which appear on many CVs. There is a reason for this.

• Like 3

-Elwood Blues

I take it out at the weekend.

I shove another in. It helps with constipation.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

"This is basic rehabilitation - you do stupid **** that dangers the social cohesion, you get excluded and have a time out to think about what you did. No prison or freedom infringements, just good old social stigma."

aka Bullying and peer pressure. What's funny is I was taught those were immoral. L0L

"Ha, our society is way more tolerant of stupidity than it used to be."

No.  The 'good 'ol days' is a myth.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This is the problem with raising kids with little understanding of real world consequences.  There is a huge lack of common sense here.  You should assume everything you put on the internet can come back to bite you in the butt.  

I spent my entire career being very aware of the fact that my job is at risk if I do something rash and emotional.  Every adult should be aware of that.

• Like 2

"Ha, our society is way more tolerant of stupidity than it used to be."

No.  The 'good 'ol days' is a myth.

I suppose I wan't clear enough, because I agree with you.  Our society is more tolerant in general, which is wondrous, and we have all these amazing ways to communicate and express ourselves to a wider audience.  So yes, as Volo says, the world is much better than the old days.

But we are sharing this amazing platform with a lot of stupid people, and they are really thriving on Twitter, and they are getting a lot of their own reality shows.

I disagree.

It's rash, emotional, but harmless.

It's not harmless. It's treating a partner in a serious business venture like they've made a mistake - which may not be the case. Even if they have, they deserve consideration.

I wouldn't do business with anyone who badmouthed me the first time anything went wrong.

Rash and emotional are not qualities which appear on many CVs. There is a reason for this.

Except people everywhere are both, they just hide is better

I consider denying human nature and holing people to impossible standards an excercise in futility and also living in denial.

Let's not forget that the world we live in is downright stupid and obsessed with the wrong things.

Yeah, that's for darn sure. Common sense 101 and I'm extremely anti censorship or punishing people for silly stuff posted on the internet bu, again, I sure wouldn't tolerate that kind of nonsense from a business partner. Threatening to kill me? Why should I be forced to work with someone who does that?

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It wasn't a real threat and both of you know it. Why overreact because someone was venting?

No of course he wasn't threatening to kill anyone. That's not what he did wrong.

Maybe you can't understand this right now, but putting a line between you and a key partner is not OK. Accusing them publicly of failing is not OK.

If you are in partnership with someone, and something goes wrong, you do not point the finger. You do not vent to the customer - the public. You contact your partner and you work to fix the issue, and you try your hardest to protect the reputation your partner has built.

_Try_ to understand this, because whether you agree or not, I assure you that this is how proper business works. If you've never worked to these standards then that's sad. But it's no excuse.

• Like 4

-Elwood Blues

Is it really hard to go through life without saying your going to kill people online? Regardless of the intention, it seems like a pretty easy thing to avoid.

Doesn't matter that it was on-line.

What if the man was walking on the street complaining to his buddies and the boss was sitting in a caffe? Doesn't matter how the boss found out, now does it?

Either way, no harm done to the boss. No harm done to ANYONE.

Except for the other poor people working on the game that now suffer.

I consider such thing petty.