The Ebola Threat

Wrath of Dagon

I wonder why the health workers who are working in these areas aren't isolated from the general population when they come back. You'd think if a health worker returns to their country that they'd be isolated for a couple of weeks to confirm if they've been infected or not.

Because the US isn't taking this as seriously as it should.

EDIT: Also they're incompetent.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Eh, they said that only three people had close contact with this guy, which is pretty low if no precautions were being taken.

Though it would be somewhat ironic if the US did have problems, given that Nigeria had a guy turn up and basically drop dead at an airport near the beginning of the outbreak and they managed to stamp the outbreak out despite all their problems.

Pretty cool that the first nurse in Dallas is fully healthy and Ebole-free.  Also cool that the Seahawks owner donated $100 million to Ebola research.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I wonder why the health workers who are working in these areas aren't isolated from the general population when they come back. You'd think if a health worker returns to their country that they'd be isolated for a couple of weeks to confirm if they've been infected or not.

That would only happen if our government were sane, or didn't hate its own citizens. As it is, three (Democrat) governors did require returning health workers to be quarantined, but Obola is pressuring them to give that up. Edit: Sorry, one's a Republican.

Here is President Obama trolling WoD again.

If I were her, I'd kick him in the nuts for allowing me to get infected. I have to say though I'm quite impressed with our medical capabilities, so far everyone who's been brought back for treatment or got infected here survived. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

That would only happen if our government were sane, or didn't hate its own citizens. As it is, three (Democrat) governors did require returning health workers to be quarantined, but Obola is pressuring them to give that up. Edit: Sorry, one's a Republican.

Here is President Obama trolling WoD again.

If I were her, I'd kick him in the nuts for allowing me to get infected. I have to say though I'm quite impressed with our medical capabilities, so far everyone who's been brought back for treatment or got infected here survived.

America is pretty good at providing quality healthcare; it's stupid expensive, but at least it's good.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in that story it says: virologists believe that Ebola is spread when people come in contact with the virus-laden bodily fluids of those who are already sick and then touch their eyes, nose or mouth, allowing the virus to pass through mucous membranes and enter the bloodstream.

My concern is can it be transmitted through your ears?

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed in that story it says: virologists believe that Ebola is spread when people come in contact with the virus-laden bodily fluids of those who are already sick and then touch their eyes, nose or mouth, allowing the virus to pass through mucous membranes and enter the bloodstream.

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be letting ebola victims lick your earballs.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be letting ebola victims lick your earballs.

:lol:

Yeah, Walsie is right Hiro

Its probably best not to let people who has Ebola lick your ears :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/15/health/feat-ebola-epidemic-hopeful-study/index.html

Here is a good news African story, the rate of spread of the virus seems to really slowing down. Well done to the international community for their efforts in coming to Africa and getting involved in fighting the virus. Especially the Chinese and the Americans. The Americans put the most effort and resources into the campaign

And there is no oil in these countries and no real economic benefit so this was a humanitarian effort which should be recognised :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Actually, there is oil in these nations.

Here's one article talking about it. There are more out there.

I know you like to think otherwise, but the U.S. doesn't send thousands of troops anywhere just out of the kindness of it's heart. Oil or not, something more than Ebola was up with the ~3000 troops sent to Liberia.

Actually, there is oil in these nations.

Here's one article talking about it. There are more out there.

I know you like to think otherwise, but the U.S. doesn't send thousands of troops anywhere just out of the kindness of it's heart. Oil or not, something more than Ebola was up with the ~3000 troops sent to Liberia.

Fair enough, some of these countries do have oil

But the USA is now the worlds biggest producer of oil and natural gas so this argument that the USA  " only acts in the international arena when it suits its oil agenda " should become more and more irrelevant as time goes on if you look at the reality of global oil production

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-04/u-s-seen-as-biggest-oil-producer-after-overtaking-saudi.html

There are much easier ways to control oil production in places like Liberia and Sierra Leone than to get involved in stopping Ebola. The USA could have stayed out of trying to stop the virus and  when the spread  eventually slowed down they could have  just got the massive oil companies based in the USA to get involved in actually building oil refineries like we see in other African countries like Nigeria and Angola where Western oil companies are instrumental in oil production

So once again the view that the USA sent troops to stop Ebola is about oil doesn't make logistical and business sense where there are other much easier ways to do this 

So Vals you need to accept this was a humanitarian mission and give the USA some credit :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

You really think that just because the U.S. is the leader in oil production at the moment that it will just stop it's efforts on behalf of big oil to corner the oil market elsewhere? Seriously?

The oil game is global in scope and the people who play it play are playing the long game. They aren't subject to short attention spans, like so many who swallow up their garbage are.

That said, as I already mentioned, there are possibly reasons other than oil that we might be sending troops to West Africa. Two things for sure, guns aren't very effective vs. viruses, and 3,000 isn't a small number of troops.

I have a question for the lunatic fringe. If our entire foreign policy is dominated by getting more oil, how come we're not letting Canadians build the Keystone-XL pipeline because that would get us whole lot more oil than some tiny African nation.

But undoubtedly there is a large amount of self-interest involved in the fight against Ebola. We don't want it to spread world-wide after all. And good for Liberia, but I don't think the other stricken countries are doing quite as well.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"USA only care oil" ranks alongside "treat em mean, keep em keen" in the panoply of global theories.

It might seem superficially attractive when life has you down, but no serious adult can possibly credit either unless banjoed.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have a question for the lunatic fringe. If our entire foreign policy is dominated by getting more oil, how come we're not letting Canadians build the Keystone-XL pipeline because that would get us whole lot more oil than some tiny African nation.

But undoubtedly there is a large amount of self-interest involved in the fight against Ebola. We don't want it to spread world-wide after all. And good for Liberia, but I don't think the other stricken countries are doing quite as well.

The only country doing worse is Sierra Leone, and even there the cases have levelled off according to the RC- and if the rate reduction continues the outbreak will be done in months*. And while it's certainly overly reductionist to simplify every action of the US to 'oil' I'm not sure that someone who was insisting the virus was actually airborne and everyone was lying about it/ it was going to rampage across the US and the world due to 'Obola' is an entirely rational thinking centrist themselves.

*Yeah, unlikely since it's far more complicated than a straight rate analysis and extrapolation and there are dozens of factors; but if the doomsayers pseudo statistical 'look at the rates, it'll be infecting 30 trillion people a day in 2040!' panic crap is good for the goose then 'good news, everybody!' anti panic crap is good for the gander.

nBUTAHM.jpg

Kaine Parker's sexy ladies thread is that way, brother.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2

The only country doing worse is Sierra Leone, and even there the cases have levelled off according to the RC- and if the rate reduction continues the outbreak will be done in months*. And while it's certainly overly reductionist to simplify every action of the US to 'oil' I'm not sure that someone who was insisting the virus was actually airborne and everyone was lying about it/ it was going to rampage across the US and the world due to 'Obola' is an entirely rational thinking centrist themselves.

*Yeah, unlikely since it's far more complicated than a straight rate analysis and extrapolation and there are dozens of factors; but if the doomsayers pseudo statistical 'look at the rates, it'll be infecting 30 trillion people a day in 2040!' panic crap is good for the goose then 'good news, everybody!' anti panic crap is good for the gander.

I think you're misrepresenting my position just a tad. It is lucky that Ebola appears to be very infectious only at the very end, else it might indeed have spread like wildfire.