The Ebola Threat

Wrath of Dagon

I knew that from day one thanks to StormCloudsGathering. Strange how much sense conspiracy theorists make nowadays.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm way more worried about the Entrovirus than this.

I'm more worried about failing classes than getting Ebola.

• Like 7

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm more worried about success than Ebola.

If there's a conspiracy here it's one of willful cupidity on the part of the general public. UK government guidelines have always encouraged a degree of prepping to aid civil stabilty in the event of a crisis. You should always have a basic kit with alternate light, heating, prescription drugs, first aid and two weeks of food. To which I add four litres of simple bleach, a shovel, and a large quantity of particularly foul air-freshener that will make you cough your guts up in a confined space.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If there's a conspiracy here it's one of willful cupidity on the part of the general public. UK government guidelines have always encouraged a degree of prepping to aid civil stabilty in the event of a crisis. You should always have a basic kit with alternate light, heating, prescription drugs, first aid and two weeks of food. To which I add four litres of simple bleach, a shovel, and a large quantity of particularly foul air-freshener that will make you cough your guts up in a confined space.

You need to add Scotch to that Kit.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Realistically any country that has people arriving from Western Africa should be concerned about Ebola. But we also know that one of the main reasons for the rampant spread of the virus in Western Africa is due to the poor healthcare infrastructure and the fact that many of the people infected are not educated and are superstitious. So the victims  don't understand how to properly treat Ebola

This shouldn't an issue for Western countries, we know that the experimental drug used to treat several infected Westerners has worked and we also know that Western countries understand the importance of the principle of quarantine.

So even if Ebola does start spreading in the USA I am confident it can be contained and addressed so that it doesn't become this epidemic

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The people Thomas Eric Duncan came in close contact with still haven't developed any signs of infection.

They're hiding it so they can spread the disease to unsuspecting citizens.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Still a bit concerned by Ebola, last I heard it's still not checked in the African countries. Good fortune that it didn't seem to spread in the US.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still a bit concerned by Ebola, last I heard it's still not checked in the African countries. Good fortune that it didn't seem to spread in the US.

Wow, never really seen you concerned about something before. I would have thought you would  have found this whole thing amusing  :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, there are some things amusing about it - people caring now that it has left Africa, but generally people dying from a rather nasty disease isn't all that funny.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, there are some things amusing about it - people caring now that it has left Africa, but generally people dying from a rather nasty disease isn't all that funny.

Okay good to know we do agree on somethings 8)

John Milton 

It's certainly worrisome, but doesn't seem to have anywhere near the mortality rate of Ebola, seems to be more like the flu.

Two weeks of food won't do squat if you're trying to sit out an epidemic.

Realistically any country that has people arriving from Western Africa should be concerned about Ebola. But we also know that one of the main reasons for the rampant spread of the virus in Western Africa is due to the poor healthcare infrastructure and the fact that many of the people infected are not educated and are superstitious. So the victims  don't understand how to properly treat Ebola

This shouldn't an issue for Western countries, we know that the experimental drug used to treat several infected Westerners has worked and we also know that Western countries understand the importance of the principle of quarantine.

So even if Ebola does start spreading in the USA I am confident it can be contained and addressed so that it doesn't become this epidemic

Does SA let in people from affected countries? Also they've run out of that drug, apparently they can only make very small quantities.

The people Thomas Eric Duncan came in close contact with still haven't developed any signs of infection.

Well the incubation period is up to 3 weeks, it's only been a week or so since he was isolated, though I certainly hope everyone will be OK. If anyone else gets it, our government will be guilty of attempted murder or actual murder. It was just reported though I don't know if it's true that 9 other people got infected from the woman that Duncan was supposedly infected by. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

How is the US government guilty of murder here?

It's certainly worrisome, but doesn't seem to have anywhere near the mortality rate of Ebola, seems to be more like the flu.

It's troubling that you would say that, because no one in the US has died of Ebola, whereas a child my son's age just passed away from Enterovirus after showing very few signs of illness.

The CDC has confirmed 594 people across 43 states and the District of Columbia with illness caused by enterovirus D68 between mid-August and Monday.The virus has been detected in four other people who have died, the centers said. The role EV-D68 played in these deaths is unclear; state and local health departments are investigating, the CDC said.

That sounds like a much bigger threat to the US.  Now I understand that internationally, or rather in underdeveloped nations, Ebola is a much bigger threat.  But the reaction by certain media outlets has been ridiculous and frankly irresponsible.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/ayvbym/a-rare-correction---no-ebola-outbreak-in-the-u-s-

Edited by Hurlshot

I don't see what's so troubling, no one has died of a nuclear weapon in US yet, but we should still worry about the possibility. It's not that I'm dismissing the danger of the Enterovirus, it's just that there appears nothing we can do about it, while the spread of Ebola to the US would be relatively easy to stop at this stage. Edit: Also, Colbert is a clown and an idiot, you do poorly by citing him. First, no one's claiming there's been an outbreak yet, only that it's now possible, and second the stuff he says about CDC competent response at the beginning of the video is patently not true, I can give you several examples. Couldn't watch any more, just can't stomach that guy.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It is not relatively easy to shut down all traffic coming from Africa, which seems to be your solution.  That's a drastic measure, and right now the situation does not warrant it.  We haven't had a single person infected on our own soil.

Not all traffic from Africa, just non-essential travel from countries with Ebola epidemics (3 of them). That would be very simple. Most African countries have done so already.

Here's an update on the Enterovirus: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/enterovirus-68-what-you-need-to-know/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&ref=science&_r=1&

I read that in the schools where children exposed to Duncan were attending, they've put in automatic temperature scanners to give early warning of anyone developing symptoms. That seems like a good idea in all schools all the time, American parents have the unfortunate habit of sending their sick children to school because they can't miss work, turning schools into germ factories. Tylenol once had an absolutely amazing commercial where a mother gave Tylenol to a feverish child so that he could go and play with his friends! Isolating children with fever would do wonders to improve overall health.

Edit: Btw, a nurse in Spain just came down with Ebola, so that's the first case of transmission in a Western country.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon