Do you want experience from combat?

DnaCowboy

Poll: Do You Want Combat Experience Included In The Game?  

377 members have voted

1. 1. Do you the backer want experience from combat?

• Yay, how on earth could any game call itself a crpg without combat exp?
    • Nay, questing is king
  2. 2. Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?

• I'd prefer to have combat XP implemented in the main game although that means the game may be delayed
    • I would far prefer combat XP be added as the first add-on pledge
    • Would you be happy to wait for combat xp to be implemented in the main game or wait and pledge towards it as an add-on?
    • Alternative approach (which the voter will lay out in thread)
    • N/A

Im a bit jealous of Gromnir. Id love a chompy red demon named Gfted1 to be in a game. Maybe they will hold another Fan Fiction contest like Calax won and got into FO:NV? Alas, I lack any writing skill or imagination. :(

diesel were the guy who got his githyanki wildmage into bg2. am forgetting the person who submitted the scimitar hurling habib. the winning submissions for the bg2 character contest were made public, which led to howls o' anguish and a total board meltdown-- that ain't hyperbole neither. board died. am suspecting that what developers find amusing, clever, quirky, and or compelling enough to be including a character into a game is not necessarily tied to writing skill, and imagination is a very subjective quality.

be assured, if Gromnir were included, there is hope for all.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

or you can accept that a poll such as this represents only the barest fraction o' purchasers and that regardless o' poll results the developers will be more interested in how QA folks actual play the game and alter their behaviors based on quest xp rewards... meaning this is largely a pointless endeavour. nevertheless, it don't hurt to do yet another poll on the same issue that has zero chance o' being changed at this point regardless o' results, so knock yourselves out.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

Why do we talk like we are a third year elementary student writing shakespeare.

HA! Not So Fun Understanding What You're Saying!

Role playing an orc?

not orc. that were the inside joke forced on us by biowarians. they thought it were amusing that everybody at the old Co'6 interplay message boards assumed orc, so they made the ToB Gromnir an orc. now, thanks to dave, we is stuck with orc label regardless o' whatever we might say or do. yes, dave were very funny. haha.

to be fair, we were expecting to be depicted as an inconsequential flatulent xvart, so call the ToB inclusion as an orc a win for Gromnir?

HA! Good Fun!

I vaguely remember a Sylvius the Mad mention that a Gronir posted on Bio Boards as a low Wisdom character because Wisdom didn't work in BG like the manual suggested it did. Is that somewhat accurate?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

or you can accept that a poll such as this represents only the barest fraction o' purchasers and that regardless o' poll results the developers will be more interested in how QA folks actual play the game and alter their behaviors based on quest xp rewards... meaning this is largely a pointless endeavour. nevertheless, it don't hurt to do yet another poll on the same issue that has zero chance o' being changed at this point regardless o' results, so knock yourselves out.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we didn't add a vote

Why do we talk like we are a third year elementary student writing shakespeare.

HA! Not So Fun Understanding What You're Saying!

Role playing an orc?

not orc. that were the inside joke forced on us by biowarians. they thought it were amusing that everybody at the old Co'6 interplay message boards assumed orc, so they made the ToB Gromnir an orc. now, thanks to dave, we is stuck with orc label regardless o' whatever we might say or do. yes, dave were very funny. haha.

to be fair, we were expecting to be depicted as an inconsequential flatulent xvart, so call the ToB inclusion as an orc a win for Gromnir?

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Then what is it then?

I assumed orc even before that game came out(yes I'm old BIS/Bioware)

I understand english is not your first language..

Wait what? I seriously thought its all on purpose.

:rolleyes: I need a fry meme picture right now

Edited by Immortalis

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

Im a bit jealous of Gromnir. Id love a chompy red demon named Gfted1 to be in a game. Maybe they will hold another Fan Fiction contest like Calax won and got into FO:NV? Alas, I lack any writing skill or imagination. :(

I'd like to appear in PoE2 as a badass with a codpiece mounted revolver.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't wanna be a grammar nazi but common.. I really don't understand you most of the time.. Want me to lie? Maybe I can catch the jist of it if I read closely but you jump around all over the place..

am not thinking "common" is the word you were looking for... and "gist" were probable what you were intending?  irony is a dish best served with a savory szechuan sauce, but this will need suffice.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You still haven't explained why it's acceptable that PE has a worse XP system than SRR.

Because SRR uses Karma instead of XP. Otherwise, they are similar in that they reward for getting stuff done rather than doing stuff.

Shadowrun Returns uses a quest XP system, although that is not the only way to get XP like in PoE. Like Volourn wrote, the XP system in SRR is indeed superior, although the design of the game is much simpler.

The games are very different anyway. In SRR you have to kill practically everything on a run (combat is the core activity in this game), so it doesn't make a difference if you are rewarded with XP at the end of the run or for every kill. Not to mention that SRR doesn't have any overworld exploration or anything of the sort. You do however get additonal XP for completing optional objectives, like filling up a room with poisonous gas instead of engaging the enemy directly, which is awesome. PoE Doesn't even appear to have something like this though, because all choices matter equally in every single situation, simply with cosmetic differences, which is absurd.

No combat XP therefore does make sense in SRR, which is probably why there never has and never will be any controversy about SRR using this system whatsoever. Can't say the same for PoE though, as you can see.

BTW, Karma = XP, or can you not use Karma to improve your character's skills?

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

I love how when there's a debate thread, it's "Obsidian is ignoring the screaming majority that want combat XP! Look at everyone saying they want it!".  As soon as there's a poll that goes against combat XP it's "Obviously polls aren't representative at all and just a bunch of garbage!".  Not that it matters anyway, which makes this kind of silly "Vox Populi" circus even funnier.

Almost the exact opposite happened in the last thread.. the votes were heavily biased in favor of combat xp last I checked.. and althought objective based xp wasn't far behind.. almost NOBODY wanted the current system..

The first person to say polls are inherently flawed was me and it had nothing to do with the results.. it was me recognizing that even if Combat XP was the winning selection, I don't expect obsidian to make a change based on a forum poll.. only register people aren't happy with the current direction.

Way to misquote and skew reality to fit your imaginary world.

I don't remember quoting anything. I remember reading posts that communicate anger and predicting a furious backlash against Obsidian for failing to heed the ~clear majority~ who want combat XP.  Then I remember reading posts stating that obviously this poll indicates absolutely nothing and the ~clear majority~ are simply either silent or have left for greener pastures.

But since you mentioned it... Oh, this poll?

"Now that you have had a taste of it, what do you think of no kill xp?"

Results as follows:

I love this system and I am glad the game went in this direction. (88 votes [30.77%])

I slightly prefer this system. (45 votes [15.73%])

I think it makes little difference. (23 votes [8.04%])

I dislike this system somewhat. (58 votes [20.28%])

I hate this system and think it makes combat less rewarding. (72 votes [25.17%])

Let me make this really easy on you, wouldn't want to bring back any bad memories from your time in 3rd grade:

I love this system and I am glad the game went in this direction. (88 votes [30.77%])

I slightly prefer this system. (45 votes [15.73%])

The big number and the little number make 133

I dislike this system somewhat. (58 votes [20.28%])

I hate this system and think it makes combat less rewarding. (72 votes [25.17%])

The big number and the little number make 130

Gee, sounds like you were really talking out of your backside there, doesn't it? What was that about an imaginary world, skewing reality, heavy bias in favor of combat XP and zero support for the current system?

The only thing I agree with is that this poll will change absolutely nothing.

Edited by Panteleimon
  • Like 1

HA! Good Fun!

Oh! I never frequented the Bioware boards; I always assumed your persona was borrowed from Gromnir Il-Khan. I didn't realize it was the other way around.

Shadowrun Returns uses a quest XP system, although that is not the only way to get XP like in PoE. Like Volourn wrote, the XP system in SRR is indeed superior, although the design of the game is much simpler.

Anyone else thinks that shadow run returns could have been so much more?

• Like 1

Absolutely. Too short and too linear but the xp (no combat xp) system was virtually FLAWLESS.Why does PE xp system suck so much.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If everything we vote on or write is so meaningless, then why are you even here on the forum?

change xp mechanic at this late date when sawyer and cain approve quest xp, and given that qa folks gameplay reveals that there is no problem with quest xp, makes This issue pointless for debate. thinks that a board poll will achieve results regarding this issue is even more ludicrous.

Anything can be changed with more development time. Maybe not on Planet Retardia, but it is certainly possible on this world. Herp.

BTW Sawyer is lead designer, buddy. I think Cain only designed fortress mechanics and other minor things. Sawyer is responsible for everything else.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

HA! Good Fun!

Oh! I never frequented the Bioware boards; I always assumed your persona was borrowed from Gromnir Il-Khan. I didn't realize it was the other way around.

reality is rare as interesting as whatever myth or folklore is spun to explain oddities such as our posting style... not that we believe anybody has spent more than a moment considering the issue. kaineparker's contribution based on sylvius the mad's recollection is close enough to the truth to satisfy.  we had a human fighter character that dumped intelligence to boost wisdom for magical defense adjustment.  there were no magical defense adjustment for high wisdom in the game. 

as we said earlier, the posting style is a fantastic schmuck detector, so we stuck with it.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

If everything we vote on or write is so meaningless, then why are you even here on the forum?

change xp mechanic at this late date when sawyer and cain approve quest xp, and given that qa folks gameplay reveals that there is no problem with quest xp, makes This issue pointless for debate. thinks that a board poll will achieve results regarding this issue is even more ludicrous.

Anything can be changed with more development time. Maybe not on Planet Retardia, but it is certainly possible on this world. Herp.

BTW Sawyer is lead designer, buddy. I think Cain only designed fortress mechanics and other minor things. Sawyer is responsible for everything else.

*chuckle*

as discussed elsewhere, obsidian doesn't have limitless funds or time to develop PoE, so your observations about your home planet's way o' doing things, while amusing, is pointless. furthermore, you don't know what you think you know. you genuine don't think cain had meaningful input on the quest xp choice? that's so cute.

HA! Good Fun!

Cain is the guy who thought it was a good idea to reward the player with xp every time they DAMAGED an enemy; hes the last person who should be anti xp for combat. L0L

Plus, BL also has a better xp system than PE. Embarassing that such a grognardi game defeats PE as well just like SRR.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

obsidian doesn't have limitless funds or time to develop PoE

Well, the other option would be to let the game tank. Inxile fixed up Wasteland 2 very nicely with additonal development time, Obsidian should do the same. TBH Wasteland 2 wasn't even near as bad as PoE now is when the Beta was released way back last December.

Anyway, why are you are still hanging around here writing nearly incoherent posts with orc-speak, although you think that all of this controversay and discussion or this vote are meaningless? Are you scared that this game might be improved so that low-intelligence orcs might have problems playing it?

~~~~~~~~~~~

I've nothing against Tim Cain but he's never helmed a game I've personally enjoyed except for ToEE. However, Troika's hubris and arrogance when interacting with fans was legendary. I would lurk, aghast, on the forums over there. Tim gave up on item degradation and crafting so I suppose the xp thing is his line in the sand.

Then again, look what happened to Troika. Leonard ended up working the lore on Diablo 3.

There's a moral to the story in there, I think.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Then again, look what happened to Troika. Leonard ended up working the lore on Diablo 3.

To be honest I dont think anyone is allowed to write a decent story at blizzard because some people might not get it resulting in 0,05 % less sales.

Edited by Mayama

Ha ha. Gotcha. I love Diablo and I like the lore, a lot. Leonard Boyarsky did an excellent job.

I know enjoying mainstream stuff is [too often] frowned upon on these forums, but Blizzard are doing something right. Troika, OTOH, didn't.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I've nothing against Tim Cain but he's never helmed a game I've personally enjoyed except for ToEE. However, Troika's hubris and arrogance when interacting with fans was legendary. I would lurk, aghast, on the forums over there. Tim gave up on item degradation and crafting so I suppose the xp thing is his line in the sand.

There's a moral to the story in there, I think.

we know the cult following cain has at codex. forcing the codexians to recognize that the current xp mechanic is the choice o' sawyer AND cain no doubt results in something approaching physical pain. am admitting that we is petty enough that such a reality brings us pleasure... admitted very small pleasure. "Hey! I won a free small order of fries with my next order of a large McDonalds sandwich thanks to this monopoly scratch-off game piece!" is maybe less than the small fries prize, but we can enjoy life's little pleasures too.

"Well, the other option would be to let the game tank."

HA!  the game will tank because of quest xp? okie dokie. is this another certainty you folks have on "Planet Retardia"?

HA! Good Fun!

ps we can't recall the last time we ate at mcdonald's, but that doesn't make our illustration less meaningful... or maybe it does. we will consider that point as it is at least as relevant as is changing the current xp mechanic of PoE at this late date.
Edited by Gromnir

Ha ha. Gotcha. I love Diablo and I like the lore, a lot. Leonard Boyarsky did an excellent job.

I know enjoying mainstream stuff is [too often] frowned upon on these forums, but Blizzard are doing something right. Troika, OTOH, didn't.

Troika made vampire bloodlines which many consider as one of the best rpg storys ever.

• Like 1

^ Dark gothtastic fangoria doesn't float my boat, and if I want a story-heavy experience I'll read a book.

I'm glad folks enjoyed it, but it wasn't on my radar. I play games to play games. This is why the tactical / wargamer side of the fanbase will never really reconcile with the Planescaper / games-as-art side of the house.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

Troika made vampire bloodlines which many consider as one of the best rpg storys ever.

I don't. I have a hard time getting into the Troika games. Arcanum is spectacularly crap.

• Like 3