Ukraine discussion

Tale

I'm well aware of our responsibilities to NATO. It's unfortunate that the US made the mistake of being involved in an alliance. We should get out of NATO.

If you think intervention is making the world more peaceful; you are simply wrong. Not that world peace should even be an agenda of ours.

Lucky for us Ukraine was not a full member of NATO and we are not obligated to get involved. I wish we would just stay out of it.

Utterly in awe of this post.

Why is NATO bad for the USA?

Because it drags us into alliances. Those alliances drag us into conflicts. I want America to stop wasting it's resources on wars that don't involve us; NATO makes that very difficult. Also, the existence of NATO makes it easier for stupid war hawks to downplay the costs of war.

Freedom of action is worthless if the strength of those actions is enfeebled.

Ignoring the value of alliances, surrendering valuable markets and materials, abandoning cultures that are friendly into the hands of those that are hostile, all enfeeble your strength. This isn't some new reality.

I appreciate that you feel America is held back by its friends, but I assure you that the only thing worse than having interconnections is having none.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Gays-Exhibitionist's visit this march also.

122558_original.jpg

I'm all for gay rights, but I don't see what homosexuality has to do with Ukraine. Is this protest about more than just the Ukraine issue? I think protests are more effective when they are about a single issue.

There is a connection between gay rights and the nationalist interests of Russia in Ukraine. And that connection is Putin, we know that Putin has started legislating homophobia in Russia. So any march that is opposed to Russian interference in Ukraine will also bring about gay  people in Russia joining the protest who being discriminated against

It all boils down top the same objective, raising awareness to the authoritarian policies of Putin

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

According to you it trolling because I don't echo your opinion

I'll let you into a secret- I'm not even slightly worried about disagreeing with you as I don't value your opinions at all.

I call it trolling because telling someone they should 'appreciate'- your word- their country being bombed is trolling, plain and simple.

• Like 2

According to you it trolling because I don't echo your opinion

I'll let you into a secret- I'm not even slightly worried about disagreeing with you as I don't value your opinions at all.

I call it trolling because telling someone they should 'appreciate'- your word- their country being bombed is trolling, plain and simple.

And as usual you are selective with your understanding or you make an assumption around what someone means or says.

I never said "Serbia should appreciate that they were bombed ". I said "You really don't  seem to appreciate what NATO did  for your country, imagine what would have happened if the Bosnian war had been to allowed continue"

NATO ended the war in Bosnia and Kosovo. Why do you think that any country shouldn't see the long term benefits of not being involved in a war? Its obvious

I suppose you would be happy if the Serbs had basically carved whatever parts of  Bosnia they wanted and the forced the ethnic Bosniaks to live somewhere else? That does seem to be how you see things, like your justifications for Russia illegally annexing the Crimea

So in your world as long as the West isn't illegally  occupying other countries its fine. But other countries like Russia can basically do what they want and your prodigious  justification machinery kicks to explain how legitimate there actions are

Nice  consistency there Zora :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

122558_original.jpg

I'm all for gay rights, but I don't see what homosexuality has to do with Ukraine. Is this protest about more than just the Ukraine issue? I think protests are more effective when they are about a single issue.

There is a connection between gay rights and the nationalist interests of Russia in Ukraine. And that connection is Putin, we know that Putin has started legislating homophobia in Russia. So any march that is opposed to Russian interference in Ukraine will also bring about gay  people in Russia joining the protest who being discriminated against

It all boils down top the same objective, raising awareness to the authoritarian policies of Putin

Putin may be behind both the those situation, but they are still separate issues. If they had staged a protest about gay rights exclusively; I suspect the results would be better than getting the issue mixed up with other policies.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

122558_original.jpg

Putin may be behind both the those situation, but they are still separate issues. If they had staged a protest about gay rights exclusively; I suspect the results would be better than getting the issue mixed up with other policies.

There is suppression of certain  basic human rights, like the right to protest, in Russia so  I can completely understand why gay activists would jump on the bandwagon to raise visibility to there cause during a anti-war protest. 

You must be aware how heavy handed the Russian police  have been in the past when there were dedicated protests raising visibility around homophobia

If I was a gay Russian I would also use an anti-war protest to champion my cause because you are shielded by all the other protesters in certain respects

John Milton 

There is suppression of certain  basic human rights, like the right to protest, in Russia so  I can completely understand why gay activists would jump on the bandwagon to raise visibility to there cause during a anti-war protest. 

You must be aware how heavy handed the Russian police  have been in the past when there were dedicated protests raising visibility around homophobia

If I was a gay Russian I would also use an anti-war protest to champion my cause because you are shielded by all the other protesters in certain respects

Gay rights activists may be shooting themselves in the foot by being associated with this protest,

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

These type of things had been damaging any protest movement in Russia for years. Nothing to do with right and wrong, just a fact. Most ordinary Russians see opposition protests as a collection of dressed up carnival freaks.

It is a question of priorities. Things like gay rights, etc, are very low on the list of concerns that most people have to deal with.

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 1

These type of things had been damaging any protest movement in Russia for years. Nothing to do with right and wrong, just a fact. Most ordinary Russians see opposition protests as a collection of dressed up carnival freaks.

It is a question of priorities. Things like gay rights, etc, are very low on the list of concerns that most people have to deal with.

I hear you and for anyone who isn't gay that would be applicable. But how high on the list of priorities would gay rights be for you if you were gay?

John Milton 

I hear you and for anyone who isn't gay that would be applicable. But how high on the list of priorities would gay rights be for you if you were gay?

I can tell you from experience that the further East you travel, the less gaydar people actually have. Noticed it VERY quickly when a class I had with people from various countries included a flaming gay Ukrainian and only myself and the latinos seemed to notice, while the asians and russians were all oblivious to it. I would later go on to advise a female russian friend that her love interest was flaming gay (which I determined after speaking to them for a grand total of five seconds) not once, but twice.

In that sense, I promise you blending in as a "normal guy" if you're a flaming gay homosexual is pretty darned easy in Russia. :p They're not gonna drop dead suddenly any time soon.

And having said that, I think what Fighter is saying is that you need to pick and choose your battles wisely. If a massive gay pride protest and parade took place in Moscow tomorrow, no one would take it seriously. If it were a protest for peace completely devoid of any gay representation, it'll be heard. Pick your battles and focus on the one you have a chance of winning first. If a gay Russian insists gay rights is more important, he's more than welcome to organize a protest aimed at that....though in my experience with the culture, I highly doubt anyone would have the balls to do that, and understandably so....which AGAIN highlights how that's the more difficult battle and the one to put on hold for now.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I've come to believe that Putin's entire political stance is predicated in a single truth: that in the presence of enough information, particularly discordant information, most people simply shut down and become passive.

For an authoritarian regime, which distrusts democracy passive shutdown is all he needs. Hence the blizzard of individually ludicrous lies being fed out by the Kremlin media. They don't need to make us believe the Kremlin, they just need to make us tired of talking about the issues.

Hence, the gay rights issue is useful in two ways: it gives spurious reassurance to the notion that Putin stands for Russian nationalist independence from Western thought; and it divides discussion time ion forums like this.

I don't mean to belittle what Putin is doing, and excusing against LGBT people. But the real issue is what he's done to the ENTIRE Russian people and culture.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I can tell you from experience that the further East you travel, the less gaydar people actually have. Noticed it VERY quickly when a class I had with people from various countries included a flaming gay Ukrainian and only myself and the latinos seemed to notice, while the asians and russians were all oblivious to it. I would later go on to advise a female russian friend that her love interest was flaming gay (which I determined after speaking to them for a grand total of five seconds) not once, but twice.

In that sense, I promise you blending in as a "normal guy" if you're a flaming gay homosexual is pretty darned easy in Russia. :p They're not gonna drop dead suddenly any time soon.

And having said that, I think what Fighter is saying is that you need to pick and choose your battles wisely. If a massive gay pride protest and parade took place in Moscow tomorrow, no one would take it seriously. If it were a protest for peace completely devoid of any gay representation, it'll be heard. Pick your battles and focus on the one you have a chance of winning first. If a gay Russian insists gay rights is more important, he's more than welcome to organize a protest aimed at that....though in my experience with the culture, I highly doubt anyone would have the balls to do that, and understandably so....which AGAIN highlights how that's the more difficult battle and the one to put on hold for now.

Campaigns for basic human rights and dignity shouldn't be not practiced in a place like Russia just because of the Ukraine issue. These concerns can be interchangeable

In other words I don't buy  this whole argument that says " just because people are protesting about Ukrainian crisis gay activists also shouldn't protest"

Imagine trying to sell that logic to activists in any Western country? You take what awareness you can raise in a place like Russia, you can't really be selective because its not  like these types of marches are common as far as I know?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Campaigns for basic human rights and dignity shouldn't be not practiced in a place like Russia just because of the Ukraine issue. These concerns can be interchangeable

In other words I don't buy  this whole argument that says " just because people are protesting about Ukrainian crisis gay activists also shouldn't protest"

Imagine trying to sell that logic to activists in any Western country? You take what awareness you can raise in a place like Russia, you can't really be selective because its not  like these types of marches are common as far as I know?

I don't think you read my post.

No one is saying they can't be there. All that was said was please don't be flaming gay and come dressing or acting in a way that screams "I'm gay" because it detracts from the purpose. This is hardly a big issue: I have to dress professionally for a job interview, they're being asked to dress less flamboyantly for protests.

No one is saying they shouldn't protest about gay rights. All that was said is that in an idealistic world, that would be the case. In reality, they could get f***ing shot. Therefore, it doesn't happen. They probably want to, but also know better, and thus stay quiet and weigh SAFER options in their heads. I promise you if you went to Russia and gave your speech about basic human rights and how you should all march on the Kremlin...if you gave that speech to the very gay people who would benefit from the protest, a good percent of them wouldn't support your protest out of fear and would likely try to talk you out of it.

And this is not the west. You'd be horrendously naive to handle a problem in the East as you do in the west. Different cultures exist, different mentalities exist. Act appropriately for each if you wish to live long. I for one don't go telling people my religion (or lack thereof) while in the Southern States in the USA because I'm smart enough to know it'll cause trouble, and I'm also realistic enough to know that if I organized a agnostic/athiest pride parade in a Southern state, all it'd accomplish is it might start a fight. Therefore, don't bother. The athiests and agnostics in that state will know to keep their mouths shut and pretend they're Christian too, those that don't deal with extra stress and conflict. That same rule does not apply to the rest of the United States, nor to Germany, nor to the Netherlands, nor to Canada. However, it's probably not wise to discuss how disgusted you are by Israel in Germany. (here nothing bad would happen to you, it's just gonna be HELLA AWKWARD and uncomfortable for the room)

Different cultures react different ways and must be handled differently. You're free to go to Moscow and act just like you would in your own country, but don't act surprised when you end up arrested.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

I think problem is that there are many people that may support Ukraine but simply dont support LGBT movement. So in the end it hurts those people who just want to show support to Ukraine because they end up in same basket as LGBT movement.

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I don't think you read my post.

No one is saying they can't be there. All that was said was please don't be flaming gay and come dressing or acting in a way that screams "I'm gay" because it detracts from the purpose. This is hardly a big issue: I have to dress professionally for a job interview, they're being asked to dress less flamboyantly for protests.

No one is saying they shouldn't protest about gay rights. All that was said is that in an idealistic world, that would be the case. In reality, they could get f***ing shot. Therefore, it doesn't happen. They probably want to, but also know better, and thus stay quiet and weigh SAFER options in their heads. I promise you if you went to Russia and gave your speech about basic human rights and how you should all march on the Kremlin...if you gave that speech to the very gay people who would benefit from the protest, a good percent of them wouldn't support your protest out of fear and would likely try to talk you out of it.

And this is not the west. You'd be horrendously naive to handle a problem in the East as you do in the west. Different cultures exist, different mentalities exist. Act appropriately for each if you wish to live long. I for one don't go telling people my religion (or lack thereof) while in the Southern States in the USA because I'm smart enough to know it'll cause trouble, and I'm also realistic enough to know that if I organized a agnostic/athiest pride parade in a Southern state, all it'd accomplish is it might start a fight. Therefore, don't bother. The athiests and agnostics in that state will know to keep their mouths shut and pretend they're Christian too, those that don't deal with extra stress and conflict. That same rule does not apply to the rest of the United States, nor to Germany, nor to the Netherlands, nor to Canada. However, it's probably not wise to discuss how disgusted you are by Israel in Germany. (here nothing bad would happen to you, it's just gonna be HELLA AWKWARD and uncomfortable for the room)

Different cultures react different ways and must be handled differently. You're free to go to Moscow and act just like you would in your own country, but don't act surprised when you end up arrested.

I did read what you said but I don't think I explained my point properly

And you have actually summarized the exact issue with why gay activists are protesting at the peace march, I agree with you. Russia is not the West and I would be intimidated and probably deported if I started to raise awareness around gay rights. And most gay people probably wouldn't join my campaign out of fear.

But that's why  they are doing it at the peace march, the Russian authorities are less likely to be heavy handed. And just to be clear, the purpose of them being in the march is to say " I'm a  gay Russian  and I want people to know ", sp  the flamboyant  dress is part of the message and the way they raise visibility. So again the argument that's says " they need to dress differently " defeats the point of what they are trying to achieve

John Milton 

I think problem is that there are many people that may support Ukraine but simply dont support LGBT movement. So in the end it hurts those people who just want to show support to Ukraine because they end up in same basket as LGBT movement.

Good point, I can see the logic behind your post. Its a pity but I can see how that may be the case

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

But that's why  they are doing it at the peace march, the Russian authorities are less likely to be heavy handed. And just to be clear, the purpose of them being in the march is to say " I'm a  gay Russian  and I want people to know ", sp  the flamboyant  dress is part of the message and the way they raise visibility. So again the argument that's says " they need to dress differently " defeats the point of what they are trying to achieve

But they're not achieving anything, that's the point.

The message is to play smart. Think logically, not emotionally.

• Like 1

You really think they aren't achieving anything? You may be right,  but what about  some pride and dignity. They not be achieving political change but just the fact they can partake in a march without being beaten up or arrested must be worth something?

John Milton 

You really think they aren't achieving anything? You may be right,  but what about  some pride and dignity.

Emotions.

I don't know what I would do if I were gay. But I know there is a very long list of things that would need to be settled first before the Russian society can even begin to have a real conversation about gay issues.

• Like 1

I had sex with a Russian girl once, she scratched the **** out of me. Is this fairly common?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

She was imagining you were Vladimir Vladimirovich- and he wouldn't care about any puny scratches.

('Scratched the **** out of me' might explain some people's intense butthurt about things Russian though...)

Hence, the gay rights issue is useful in two ways: it gives spurious reassurance to the notion that Putin stands for Russian nationalist independence from Western thought; and it divides discussion time ion forums like this.

I don't think that issue has anything significant to do with information overload type stuff, it's far more likely that most Russians just plain don't care about LGBT issues much at all, and most of those who do are anti rather than pro. Russia is both conservative and not particularly rich, the average Russian is unlikely to spend much time being a SJW on the internet because they're busy doing other things and caring about other things, don't access the internet etc. The only play it has is with regards to a 'decadent west trying to subvert brave Russia' narrative, and anything can be spun that way; though in this case it is certainly counter productive to give direct ammunition for such an interpretation. But overall social activism is very much a fundamental of being rich (relatively), bored, 'liberal' and middle class.

• Like 1

She was imagining you were Vladimir Vladimirovich- and he wouldn't care about any puny scratches.

('Scratched the **** out of me' might explain some people's intense butthurt about things Russian though...)

I don't think that issue has anything significant to do with information overload type stuff, it's far more likely that most Russians just plain don't care about LGBT issues much at all, and most of those who do are anti rather than pro. Russia is both conservative and not particularly rich, the average Russian is unlikely to spend much time being a SJW on the internet because they're busy doing other things and caring about other things, don't access the internet etc. The only play it has is with regards to a 'decadent west trying to subvert brave Russia' narrative, and anything can be spun that way; though in this case it is certainly counter productive to give direct ammunition for such an interpretation. But overall social activism is very much a fundamental of being rich (relatively), bored, 'liberal' and middle class.

So you're saying that money makes you gay?

-Elwood Blues