Dragon Age: Inquisition

Blarghagh

I think it's been said that Bioware wants it released about a month before the release of Inquisition proper, which would make it middle of this month.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I've yet to receive my invite. I suspect putting myself down as a super hardcore gamer actually worked against my favour. I even vainly attempted to find an invite in my spam inbox, alas, it was not in there.

Incidentally, a 28-year old woman named Olga from Saint Petersburg, Russia is "[sic]very interested in acquaintance making."

Lucky, I only get stuff from African princes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Charlacter leveling looks path of exile ish with way too many options and no real way of telling exactly what you are buying untill you completed the game five times. 

Hopefully there's some way of respeccing not associated with any DLC like previous offerings of the Dragon Age series.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Charlacter leveling looks path of exile ish with way too many options and no real way of telling exactly what you are buying untill you completed the game five times.

Hopefully there's some way of respeccing not associated with any DLC like previous offerings of the Dragon Age series.

Wasn't the black emporium project $ 10, though? So, yes, technically dlc, but...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Wasn't the black emporium project $ 10, though? So, yes, technically dlc, but...

Kind of what I was trying to say. For Origins you had to have Awakening in order to get a pot that lets you respec, and the DLC store for DA2 had the pot for that as well. There was no other way to respec with the base games.

-Rod Serling

I never played DA2, but I can tell this is something quite different from DA:O.

It's pretty arcade game-y. There are lots of oomph to the combat, with over the top effects and movements. The characters are all super heroes, like Marvel Comics or something. Sometimes, it looks decent, sometimes not.

Personally I hate that flipping dwarf so much that I had to google him. It turns out his name is Varric. I will stay clear of that companion. No back-flipping dwarf for me, thank you very much.

I'm also not fond of the bald mage elf. He looks like Nosferatu. I'll be skipping that one as well.

It has taken more than a fair share from Skyrim's interfaces, and some of that may be a good decision, given how large the maps are.

I didn't like the boring sign "LOOT", for every loot dropped.

And those glimpses, showing stuff of interest, are like in Thief, which I think are too strong here. They are like camera flashes, almost.

Imagine, the mess this will be in multiplayer mode.

All these spontaneous criticisms aside, I'm still intrigued enough, and I have already pre-ordered, so I can but wait until I have it in my hands, and I won't be using a controller, I'll be using mouse and keyboard.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

What drew my attention most was Bioware milking the whole "make the 'elite' enemies ginormous" gameplay trope for all its worth. That, and it would not be totally out of my place to play the stock sonar "pinging" noise whenever I'm using the "find lootable stuff" mechanic while exploring.

Otherwise, still very much interested.

Edited by Agiel

-Rod Serling

It's an early build, though. I expect some environments to have improved quite a bit a few iterations later. Right now, it's pretty colourful. Someone on Youtube naively thought DA:I was a Kingdom of Amalur-ripoff because of it, hehe.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It's an early build, though. I expect some environments to have improved quite a bit a few iterations later. Right now, it's pretty colourful. Someone on Youtube naively thought DA:I was a Kingdom of Amalur-ripoff because of it, hehe.

DA:I is a rip-off of many games...

Sky open up portals, demons come in ---> Oblivion

Open world environment and dragons ---> Skyrim

Mages are feared and abusing power of destruction, Mages are born Mages, Qunari war-like people threaten everybody ---> KotOR 1 and 2/Star Wars

A secret society hero going to do something ---> Assassin Creed

The world is in destruction and wars, open world ---> Fallout 3

Edited by Qistina

Btw, what you think of the characters running all the time?

Isn't that speed pretty impressive? They must be super-fit, like Marathon-runners using the pace of an 800 m-Olympic athlete.

I wonder if we can walk if we want to.

Diablo 2 make it right first, when run stamina run out, but later it is easy baypassed by many ways. So i think in open world it sould be implement such way. One thing about games is the characters never tired

Edited by Qistina

"Personally I hate that flipping dwarf so much that I had to google him. It turns out his name is Varric. I will stay clear of that companion. No back-flipping dwarf for me, thank you very much."

Varric is potentially BIO's best character ever. Definitely top 5.

They have to make the running fast since the world is gonna be overly huge and overly empty. I just hope it doesn't go to the extreme of other open world games. I really hope this is one of those over hyped aspects.

Overall, the game looks terrific. Not without flaws, though. Some of the design choices are seemingly asanine but others are damn good.

Still, I expect this to be the only upcoming RPG that compete  with WL2 as best of 2014.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What a dilemma for me, then! Now that I read that you guys really like Varric as a companion, I want to try him out (I usually like having dwarves around in my CRPGs). Perhaps there will be some stop-Varric-from-backflipping mod, so I get to try him out.

On the running: I'm pretty sure, there will be walking too, that's fairly standard in CRPGs, then we can shift it whenever we feel like it.

It's pretty arcade game-y.

I think you misuse the term "arcade" here. Arcade genre is all about reflexes, so it's real-time only. When you can pause at will to think and make tactical choices, it's not arcade.

This being said, I understand what you're trying to say but you need to find a better word. ;)

P.S. Personally I think that DA2 combat system was nearly perfect (except the lack of the tactical camera). Hope they won't change it too much for DA:I as I'm absolutely looking forward to more DA2-style fights.

Edited by prodigydancer
  • Like 2

Should point out, that combat wise (in DA20, Varric isn't the best combat character(not horrible not great) since he's a rogue character. It's his dialogue,writing, and personality. And, as a dwarf fan, he's nice that he doesn't have a stereotypical dwarven perosnality yet is still very much dwarvish.

Can't say much about the 'backflipping' thing though since haven't played DA3 (obviously). Obviously, BIO thought he was popular enough and worthwhile to bring him back again. I hope they do him justice though.

DA3 combat success will also have to do with character stats as well. Arcadey combat doesn't.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.