@Mannock: IME when devs put in easter eggs, things are going well. It means they're in good spirits and somebody had a bit of slack waiting for somebody else to do something. No project has gone over schedule and over budget because they were debugging one of those. In a pinch, they'll just remove the checkbox from the settings UI and make you enable it from a console command.

I.e., there are better things to grump about. Big Head Mode is cool.

Interesting hypothetical  question, if you could choose between Romance or Big Head Mode to be part of PoE, in other words it was entirely your choice, what would you choose?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@BruceVC, Josh said that a romance would cost a minimum of 100 times as much as BHM. I do not find such lopsided hypotheticals particularly interesting.

Lets say the resource requirement  wasn't an issue, what would you choose? This is why its called a hypothetical question :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It is a silly question. I refuse to answer it.

Its not silly at all, if I asked you something that you personally supported but wasn't in the game like BHM or Modding support from day 1 you would have no issue answering. I am trying to understand what peoples priorities are

But if you don't want answer that's fine ;)

John Milton 

Then pick two things with comparable resource costs. Your hypothetical question doesn't reflect a meaningful trade-off. It's pointless.

Since you insist, though, I would pick BHM, because it has no negative impact on the rest of the game.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Then pick two things with comparable resource costs. Your hypothetical question doesn't reflect a meaningful trade-off. It's pointless.

Since you insist, though, I would pick BHM, because it has no negative impact on the rest of the game.

Thanks for responding, there is no right or wrong answer. This is purely a perspective and something I am personally interested :)

John Milton 

@BruceVC, Josh said that a romance would cost a minimum of 100 times as much as BHM. I do not find such lopsided hypotheticals particularly interesting.

Lets say the resource requirement  wasn't an issue

But Bruce, the resource requirement is an issue.

@Mannock: IME when devs put in easter eggs, things are going well. It means they're in good spirits and somebody had a bit of slack waiting for somebody else to do something. 

Absolutely this.  People do some of their best creative work when they have the time and interest to play as well as doing work.  It means a healthier work environment, and that you really think about the problems in front of you and come up with novel solutions rather than banging your head into the wall.

• Like 2

Lets say the resource requirement  wasn't an issue

But Bruce, the resource requirement is an issue.

Exactly, a hypothetical comparison at least needs to make sense to be reasonable.  These two features don't even have anything in common to begin with... of course I could imagine both being implemented with bioware like sex scenes would be pretty hilarious.  Well.... let's not get ahead of ourselves.

And yet, not a single pun about heads from lephys, the self acclaimed pun smith.

His stack of puns seems to be kind of headless. Or maybe he didn't buy enough ahead?

I'm sure big head mode will pay off during the final encounter and the ending. :dancing:

Edited by Doppelschwert

I'm sorry.... I didn't know the backers were choosing which specific features are in and which are out. I get that we backed the general concepts, but isn't it a bit pretentious to be demanding - as opposed to stating our preferences- which features are worth the resources and which are not? I usually leave that up to the game developer.

I'm not chosing anything, and I don't expect to be able to chose anything either. But I assume the right to criticise a single feature of a project I helped fund if I feel like it. Or that is not allowed?

I have never demanded anything either. So I don't really understand what you are saying.

I totally understand this is a minor feature and I would also like to point out that I don't think you should compare this to romances, ie that they would cost the same amount of resources. I explained in my previous post what I meant.

This feature has nothing to do with the old IE games and is not in line with the pitch made for the kickstarter. But it's good to know one may not question this feature and I assume I can expect everyone in this thread not questioning any other feature in the game either.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

You're making a really big deal out of something very silly.

That's the entire point. Resources spent on something silly.

It's okay to not agree with me, but don't treat me like I'm totally out of line here. Is it okay to criticise a certain feature or not? I hope it is.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Yeah, I can't believe this is still really an issue. Josh addressed why the feature was put in; it's good for some solid lulz, and wasn't resource heavy to implement.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

You're making a really big deal out of something very silly.

That's the entire point. Resources spent on something silly.

As Josh already pointed out, it was discovered while working on another feature using scaleable bone systems and they just made a button to toggle it. The amount of resources spent on it is so infinitely small as to be negligable. If this had taken any effort, your point would make sense, but it didn't take enough significant time to even call it "using resources". The fact that Josh had to reply to this in the first place means this discussion has, at this point, literally wasted more significant development resources than this feature did. ;(

• Like 5

Additionally, I could even see this as something that went viral around the Obsidian offices (even projects outside Eternity) and got good lulz from the rest of the company with a minor boost to office morale. Amusing features (and especially bugs) tend to do that.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Reminds me of the ''Big Head'' mode in Unreal Tournament way back in 99'. The more kills you had the bigger your head got and the easier it was to hit you. Good times.  :w00t:

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Additionally, I could even see this as something that went viral around the Obsidian offices (even projects outside Eternity) and got good lulz from the rest of the company with a minor boost to office morale. Amusing features (and especially bugs) tend to do that.

I agree. And Adam posted about bugs with weapons 5 months ago and how they didn't scale properly which made him laugh. So I can see the big head feature something they were laughing at in the office as well. And clearly you can hear them laughing in the video Sarex posted. The work in this would have been the toggle button in the menu since they were already working on this with the end goal of scaling weapons as Josh posted. All good fun.

Scaling issues are always funny. When we were hammering out the weapon scale system, sometimes NPCs would have really, really small weapons (palm of your hand sized), and sometimes they would have 10m long weapons. I always laugh at stuff like that.

• Like 1