Divinity: Original Sin

to be fair, RPGCodex is probably the reason why this game is at the top of Steam's sales

No I think it is the worth to mouth praise this game gets around gaming and RPG forums.  Also do not forget all the footage and professional streamer streaming and loving this game as well. This game is the perfect example why I say that normal journalist sites are dead and will do nothing for Pillars of eternity.  It is all about YouTube and twitch and the possibility to make this content early available to the people.

I love Divinity and I'll be the first to admit to admit that the Codex has some frankly brilliant stuff by their staff buried under a pile of racist ramblings. So if I were Larian I don't know if I would so proudly wear their seal of approval on the splash screen for the game. 

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I haven't noticed any respawns

...and I don't think you get any xp for killing summons either

There are no respawns (well, there is one NPC that doesn't stay permanently dead I've been told, assuming you manage to kill him in the first place. Not sure if he keeps giving XP though)

First of all... Larian on KS, Early Access, Physical rewards and more...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/220463/Divinity_Original_Sin_is_the_game_Larian_Studios_waited_15_years_to_make.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)

Second, let's answer some posts...

Ha ha ha I pressed 'C' and turned into a goofy-arsed boulder and started sneaking around.

Seriously, I shot tea through my nose. Thank god for a great game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Sadly there are several threads on Steam and Larian's forum of people hating this and expecting a more "realistic" method. Some people just fail to get the point. Or are ruined by modern "epic" RPG's or something? Not quite sure...

How do you rest / camp?

Benches used to heal in the beta, but it seems they no longer do so in retail. You will notice them sprawled around the world for this effect on locations still though.

Beds still heal.

Put a cooking pot on a campfire, and cook patato's or anything else is closest to camping you will get ;)

Sadly, I was being serious. Thanks for the info. I tried eating a carrot but it didn't have any noticeable effect.

Initially bonusses are hidden, just eat a single one of said item though and for the rest of the game it's properties are shown in your inventory. Bit like Morrowind in that regards.

I haven't noticed any respawns

...and I don't think you get any xp for killing summons either

Enemies don't respawn (some can resurrect though, but no XP for re-killing). I've noticed one summon so far giving XP, but pretty sure that's a bug, and they'll eventually will fix that.
  • Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Another question. In the first town I came across a grinding wheel, anvil and forge. Obviously they are there to craft stuff but I couldn't figure out how to use the grinding wheel to sharpen anything. I tried r-click my fighter sword to see if there was any option to sharpen but nada. Can anyone help a simpleton out?

You mean whetstone?
I think you mean Blacksmithing for that.

Drag your weapon from inventory over it (that's how you interact with most items inventory-game world, not automatically or with an UI like modern games).

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Crafting and blacksmithing is hugely complicated, which I don't mind per se, except that the reference is pretty bad. In stead of topics you get an assortment of random books, so you would have to read through them all to figure out how to make bowstring out of animal gut and ground trollpie. Is someone doing a wiki. Someone should do a wiki.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Well after commiting far too many hours of my free time to this game i've come to one conclusion, Larian have absolutely embarassed most of the AAA crpg developers and publishers! Feature rich, fun, in depth and reactive to ones playstyle, compared to some of the latest rpg's i've played such as DA2, this is of a totally different and far superior class. I would say that it is only the lack of a day/night cycle, npc schedules, and narrative excellence that hold it back from taking Ultima VII's crown, though in terms of combat it has it beaten hands down.

• Like 8

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Another tip. Save your ressurect scrolls. You won't get that spell later on. I was down to one mage last night and I managed to find two scrolls just by pure luck. you can't dump dead party members which means if you run out with one surviving party member you solo. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Well after commiting far too many hours of my free time to this game i've come to one conclusion, Larian have absolutely embarassed most of the AAA crpg developers and publishers! Feature rich, fun, in depth and reactive to ones playstyle, compared to some of the latest rpg's i've played such as DA2, this is of a totally different and far superior class. I would say that it is only the lack of a day/night cycle, npc schedules, and narrative excellence that hold it back from taking Ultima VII's crown, though in terms of combat it has it beaten hands down.

I am not sure I agree that Ultima VII is the champ but thanks for the review.  I have enjoyed the little bit I have had time to play so far and this gets me really pumped to play further.

"Ladies and Gentleman witness this rare occurrence, an Englishmen who seems truly content with something "   :p

High praise indeed

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

to be fair, RPGCodex is probably the reason why this game is at the top of Steam's sales

No I think it is the worth to mouth praise this game gets around gaming and RPG forums.  Also do not forget all the footage and professional streamer streaming and loving this game as well. This game is the perfect example why I say that normal journalist sites are dead and will do nothing for Pillars of eternity.  It is all about YouTube and twitch and the possibility to make this content early available to the people.

Well, D:OS already got as well

9/10 from Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-09-divinity-original-sin-review

9/10 from GameInformer: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/divinity_original_sin/b/pc/archive/2014/07/08/a-truly-divine-rpg.aspx

So the game seems to be critically acclaimed all over the board, by "major" gaming media, smaller sites, gamers (just look at Steam user reviews or metacritic...) and youtubers. This game could be really successful with both word of mouth and traditional reviews combined... :)

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

Well, D:OS already got as well

9/10 from Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-09-divinity-original-sin-review

9/10 from GameInformer: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/divinity_original_sin/b/pc/archive/2014/07/08/a-truly-divine-rpg.aspx

So the game seems to be critically acclaimed all over the board, by both "major" gaming media, smaller sites, gamers (just look at Steam user reviews or metacritic) and youtubers... :)

Yes it is and rightfully so. But they were not important to the success and Divinity being on Top 1 place on steam since release.  Reviewers got the game on the same day people could buy it so it took quite a bit of time till the first reviews were written. 

As for Resurrect: It is a level 16 Witchcraft spell you can get later on. Also since "shopkeeper" always get new content they also get a restock of resurrect scrolls. 

Also here is the crafting guide: http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Crafting

But the most useful one later on is to combine Nails with any kind of boots so you do not slip on Ice anymore^^

Well, since my CTD-after-combat-ends problem I went around finding other ways to level up. Turns out my game just goes wonky on level up. Leveled up on quest completion and the game world went black but the UI stuck around (first time the UI started blinking like a strobe...), couldn't do anything anymore though, except Alt+F4 out of the game.

Looks like I'll be forced to wait for the next patch :(

It's now on GOG.  It would cost me $50 for a download version. No game not even BG2 is worth that.  Too bad too with all the praise the game is getting. I'll have to wait it seems.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It seems to me that classes aren't madly important in that all of them can do a lot of stuff like use scrolls.

So atm I've got a witch and fighter with some sneaky skills.

Anybody got a 'must have' opening party combo?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Anybody got a 'must have' opening party combo?

Male and female!

^

It's now on GOG.  It would cost me $50 for a download version. No game not even BG2 is worth that.  Too bad too with all the praise the game is getting. I'll have to wait it seems.

So I take you never bought any new game in your life? its 50$ for 50-100 hours of fun that is like 1$ for each hour.

AS for opening: Since you get an enchanter class and Knight very early in the game maybe a tank and a Ranger or another wizzard

Edited by Darji

"So I take you never bought any new game in your life? its 50$ for 50-100 hours of fun that is like 1$ for each hour."

I've bought more games than years you've been alive, bud. And, the some. And, that's only in the past year or so.

1. There is no guarantee any game is fun.

2.  50-100 hours. L0L Yeah.

3.  When I buy things I want to own them. I prefer my games in boxes not on the evil internet. It's one thing tos pend $5 on a crappy passe game on GOG. Itr's another to spend $50 on a new release that might be crappy or merely okay. That's a HUGE risk.

And, while everyone is praising it as 'the best thing ever'; I know they are lying and over hyping it. At best, I'm sure I'll have fun  and it'll be a good game. At worst it'll be Alpha Protocol all over again.

Edited by Volourn

Do you have to take  an archetype or is it like Shadowrun Returns where you can just select what you want without need of one? If so, that's perfectly fine.

They are just there so newbies don't murder themselves picking the 'wrong' set of stuff... something you can adjust and do if you please if you so desire.

Just various startoption presets rather than classes.

^