Wold's camping trip to Iceland

Woldan

So, I'm leaving my warm and cozy country to go camping and sightseeing on that remote, cold and volcanic island that's located just a tad under Greenland, armed just with a small and light backpack filled with the most essential camping gear and my trusty camera.

Hope the Nordic weather gods will be nice to the Austrian tourist and that they won't let the temperatures drop too far below freezing. 

If things go as planned I'll return in 14 days with a ton of cool photos!  

Verið þið sæl!!

location.gif

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 5

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

So, I'm leaving my warm and cozy country to go camping and sightseeing on that remote, cold and volcanic island that's located just a tad under Greenland, armed just with a small and light backpack filled with the most essential camping gear and my trusty camera.

Hope the Nordic weather gods will be nice to the Austrian tourist and that they won't let the temperatures drop too far below freezing. 

If things go as planned I'll return in 14 days with a ton of cool photos!  

Verið þið sæl!!

Take care :)

I'm very envious, its going to be a trip of a lifetime. I look forward to the photos :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ah yes Iceland, speaking of urine.. last I was there I made sure to put the Gold in Gulfoss..

58395091.jpg

But seriously, it's a beautiful country - Go to the Blue Lagoon and make sure you go see the Divide and not just stay in the south west.

Fortune favors the bald.

There's no better candidate for ruining any sort of wilderness excursion than professional ****-eater Bear Grylls. Also Iceland. Apparently, it exists. A bit touristy, but still.

Edited by AGX-17

I am well and truly envious of your opportunity to visit the land of the Sagas, Woldan.  Say hello to Hekla for me and, if possible, swing by the site of the Thingvellir for a photo or two.  :thumbsup:

Edit: Don't let them talk you into eating any rotten shark meat, a Norse "delicacy".

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I'm back. Wow, after spending  so many days in one of the most remote regions on earth using a computer and the Internet feels so very very strange. THis trip definitely changed me forever. 

I could fill a book with my experiences in Iceland, it was such a wonderful adventure trip, I drove around the island and took roads right through its heart, I've seen many beautiful and strange things. I don't want to bore you though, so if you have any questions about my trip just ask me. All I can say is I'm seriously thinking about moving to Iceland, I'm totally in love with Iceland, its people, and....and pretty much everything there. 

Anyway, pics. I made 7 gigs of pics so I can only post a fraction. 

Shot out of the window of the plane.  Flying from the darkness into the light. 

IMG_5737A_zps4619fab3.jpg

My temporary home. Camping is not for the faint of heart, or for those with little experience and low budget gear. Even in summer temperatures below freezing, heavy winds and days with constant rains have to be expected at any minute, and the camp sites are very exposed. With little experience and anything other than top notch gear camping in Iceland can become a hell. Its definitely not a family camping trip in the woods. 

IMG_5922f_zps6bc6f5a0.jpg

IMG_6014edg_zpsed9f0909.jpg

My ride, a Daihatsu Galloper 

IMG_6352d_zpsc9016526.jpg

IMG_5837f_zps7af47664.jpg

IMG_5956ouml_zps108663d6.jpg

IMG_5946dh_zps331634e6.jpg

IMG_5908j_zps6413d75f.jpg

IMG_5915gj_zps107169ca.jpg

IMG_5990e_zps7ed64ea9.jpg

IMG_6015d_zpsa176c58e.jpg

IMG_6027r_zps84dd3b6e.jpg
IMG_6285d_zps34875b7a.jpg

IMG_6111k_zps98dfaaac.jpg

IMG_6139i_zps8755746d.jpg

IMG_6146r_zps01106daf.jpg

IMG_6179j_zpscbaf5673.jpg

There were lots of seemingly endless deserts of lava stones. 

IMG_6268fd_zps696744a1.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 8

IMG_6330s_zps37526573.jpg

A sulfur ''smoker''. 

IMG_6396df_zps4d13c00f.jpg

Dettifoss: 

IMG_6290f_zps295b7613.jpg

IMG_6456g_zps3f9f17b9.jpg

The roads through the mainland are so remote, you can drive on them for 6 hours straight without seeing a single person or even a farm building. 

Better not have your car break down there. 

IMG_6353h_zpsfa7633fa.jpg

IMG_5825E_zpsc1e12658.jpg

IMG_5902g_zpse4e6ff1a.jpg

The Gesir. Pic taken at 2 in the morning. White nights FTW! 

IMG_6747op_zpsd3e53999.jpg

Another one of those extremely remote regions of the country.

IMG_6700m_zps215423db.jpg

IMG_6549eg_zpsd90481fd.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 5

Everyone in Iceland is driving a heavily modified 4x4. And if you're planning on using any other road than the main road you NEED one of those.

IMG_6587ef_zps054ddb5a.jpg

A Volcano, last active 30 years ago. The smell of sulfur there is overwhelming. 

IMG_6555f_zps97b87346.jpg

IMG_5949C_zps47a3242c.jpg

IMG_6149g_zps78b73921.jpg

Also bought a Puffin plushy as souvenir in Reykjavik, everybody in Iceland loves those adorable little birds. Saw some when I was whale watching, they are fun little animals. 

puffin_zps990d5eab.jpg

A typical Icelandic problem. The Jökulhlaup.  

IMG_6016j_zpsfaabc0d3.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 4

Thanks guys! 

Welcome back! Looks fabulous.

Also, I fall in love with places I visit regularly and hatch schemes to move. They pass in time. :p

I hope you are right. I met a girl who was the coordinator of a whale watching vessel in Húsavík, she was from Germany and moved there because she fell in love with Iceland on the first sight.       ;)

Edited by Woldan

Amazing pictures, well played :thumbsup:

Did you camp by yourself ? And if you did camp by yourself how long were you by yourself in the wilderness?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What are the local babes like?

Icelands people: Women: 90% blonde, glacier-blue eyes, many were as tall as me and I'm 185cm, and they all shared the same facial features, - high-ish cheekbones, rounded noses, and round faces -. Definitely a great place to find a lot of fashion models.  The brunettes however looked different, also blue eyes but more oval faces, straight noses and harsh facial features. Most of the brunettes were extremely beautiful.   :yes:

Most of the women were in good shape despite the awful AWFUL very America-ish food sold in malls and stores. 

Also every woman in Iceland is wearing tight colorful leggings and loose shirt or light pullover. Even in low temperatures and rain where tourists were already wearing winter gear and freezing their butts off. Colorful leggings are the rage in Iceland. 

The men were very large and heavily built, most slightly overweight, but the majority was as tall as me. More brunettes compared to the female population. And sadly a lot of them are total hipsters, especially in Reykjavik. Reykjavik itself is a hipster city, I don't like it at all, I much prefer the more grounded small remote fisher villages along the coast. Or Husavik, its a lovely town. 

Also one strange thing I noticed is that even though I don't look like the typical Icelander the people spoke Icelandic with me until they realized that I only speak English. Never happened to one of my friends.  :blink:

Did you camp by yourself ? And if you did camp by yourself how long were you by yourself in the wilderness?

Two of my closest friends accompanied me. A trip like that shouldn't be done all alone.   :)

Edited by Woldan

What are the local babes like?

Icelands people: Women: 90% blonde, glacier-blue eyes, many were as tall as me and I'm 185cm, and they all shared the same facial features, - high-ish cheekbones, rounded noses, and round faces -. Definitely a great place to find a lot of fashion models.  

Erm... they looks like this girl from Iceland?

28297-130140-f2aff3a9c372ae9c1df6a741f4f

P.S. Single guy without girlfriend detected. If you find almost any girl beautiful, this is means only one thing - you have lack of sex.

• Like 1

I envy you Mr Woldan, haven't been to Iceland since the mid 80's, and with the wifes preference for Mediterranean and Carribean vacations (consisting of nothing but drinking and frying by a pool) I doubt i'll be returning any time soon. I think I recognise a few of those shots, especially the black beach with the volcanic columns out to sea, I believe they were heavily used in the Gerard Butler film, "Beowulf and Grendel."

A truly stunning landscape, much appreciated.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!