Why is there no world cup thread ?

Gorgon

It won't. Soccer will always be a secondary sport in the US. There are too many other sports to compete. And, most hardcore soccer countries there isn't as much competition. US can win the WC and it'll be forgotten within the eyar. There might be a minor spike but it still won't compete.

And, oh, if anything this match shows me how boring soccer is.  2-2 tie with a last second goal should be exciting but it wasn't.  I like how the announcers were so bored and burying Renaldo's team and they pretend the goal was sos exicitng after it went in. LMAO

Also, the refs don't know what yellow and red cards are for? Two Amerikans got crippled b/c of dirty play in the last 10 minutes. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I must say I was very sad to see USA lose. I thought they played a much better game, and it would also be exciting to see them in the 2nd stage. Now their future looks much more unsure.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I must say I was very sad to see USA lose. I thought they played a much better game, and it would also be exciting to see them in the 2nd stage. Now their future looks much more unsure.

They didn't lose.  It was a draw.  The US got a point out of it and are in decent shape in Group G.  Germany is in 1st with 4 points and +4 goal differential, they're through almost no matter what.  US is in 2nd with 4 points and +1 GD.  Ghana is in 3rd with 1 point and -1 GD.  Portugal is last with 1 point and -4 GD.  The US could lose against Germany and still go through on goal differential depending on how things shake out.  A draw or better and they go through no matter what.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If you had told the US they would have a win and a draw two games into the group play when the World Cup started, they would have been overjoyed.  It was a tough way to tie, but they are still in great shape.  They need a decent showing against Germany and hope that Ghana/Portugal is a close game.

It won't. Soccer will always be a secondary sport in the US. There are too many other sports to compete. And, most hardcore soccer countries there isn't as much competition. US can win the WC and it'll be forgotten within the eyar. There might be a minor spike but it still won't compete.

And, oh, if anything this match shows me how boring soccer is.  2-2 tie with a last second goal should be exciting but it wasn't.  I like how the announcers were so bored and burying Renaldo's team and they pretend the goal was sos exicitng after it went in. LMAO

Also, the refs don't know what yellow and red cards are for? Two Amerikans got crippled b/c of dirty play in the last 10 minutes. :p

ekf2qg.jpg

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I don't disagree, not even that it can be incredibly boring, especially if you don't have a grasp of the secondary tactics layer of a game, but it can be incredibly exciting as well.

If the US somehow manages to place that would be the beginning of every conversation with a forgein national for the next 4 years. Someone other than Americans would actually care about a sport played in America. How do you think a small country like Holland manages to be a contender for the world cup. 

It's because they have really good talent schools and also because once upon a time in fabled legend they had a team with Ruud Gullit, Raikard, Van Basten. These are players whose exploits made an entire generation of schoolboys play football.  It's a measurable effect. Get a taste of win and support for the sport will grow exponentially. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

They are generally very slow at adopting new tech. Just using the cameras to try and avoid the worst mistakes has been an uphil battle. As it stands the ref takes his best guess. Adding in extra time for stoppages and when the opposing team tries to run down the clock by screwing around in whatever way they can. Seems like that could be plenty of a job for someone else.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I think my biggest issue with futbol is the extra time.  We have the technology to keep track of time accurately.  It shouldn't be a surprise at the 90 minute mark.

Seems to be one for Americans/Canadians, never really been that big an issue for me as the typical 3-4 minutes on usually feels right in the games I've watched (barring Fergie time anyway).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Spain playing a lot better than before, low bar as that was.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Robben completes about 4 passes on a good year. He is the most annoying good player I have had the displeasure to watch, even though I like the Dutch.

• Like 1