What's on the idiot box... Part 3

Rosbjerg

Tried a couple episodes from the long running Midsomer Murders series. I think I like it. Nice to have a murder mystery show that's not all flash and bang (looking at you CSI's). Although I tend to keep falling asleep in the middle (they're 100 minutes long each one), but this isn't the fault of the show, just my current physical exhaustion. :lol:

Side note: I think I read that they've approved a Walking Dead spin off, to be set in Los Angeles. To which my reaction was, "that seems totally not necessary." :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you like your murder mystery without all the flash and bang yet still with great dialogue, I heartily recommend digging up the two seasons of the Nero Wolfe Mysteries with Timothy Hutton and Maury Chaykin. They might be going 14-15 years old now, but they are rather damn impeccable.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I don't mind some flash/action but it's just gone way overboard these days. Shows that started better in that regard (CSI Vegas) are now just like all the rest (or worse). I like emphasis on characters and the mystery development, not whiplash music/video montages. Anyway, yeah, I think I've heard of that series, but never watched it. If I can find it, I'll check it out.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nero Wolfe is great, classic mysteries. Can't recommend it too highly.

Currently watching the Canadian mystery series MURDOCH MYSTERIES first season which is okay. Sometimes not terribly subtle but I like the idea - even if it's sometimes stretched out of shape- of cutting edge science being used.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Lead in Murdoch Mysteries is also the lead in the kids show The Adventures of Napkin Man. So I can't see it without seeing that.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'll have to rewatch the mythology episodes before then to recap.

Plus, I never watched the last movie or most of the last season.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"A little early for Taco Tuesday, isn't it."

~

"I'm gonna be up to my ears in edible arrangements making up for this thing."

--General Glenn Talbot, Badass

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Counts Customs, being a hot rod lover myself.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

First Twin Peaks and now this. It's like the 90s all over again!

The mid-late 90's are mostly a giant blur for me, TV wise. heh.

He definitely plays up his homophobic misogynist act and is a certifiable ass, but he is entertaining and I like Top Gear.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Top Gear has worked because Clarkson, May, and Hammond are entirely sincerely enthusiastic about what they do, and happen to act like they're still 10 year olds given the keys to the kingdom. They banter, they don't worry about being politically correct, and they have a lot of fun arsing around with cars, engines, and generally bouncing off each other as they figure out what's good about a car.

I have no idea what they're like in person/to work with, but this is sorta like breaking up Kirk/Spock/McCoy. Those three worked so well together (at least on screen) and had a synergy that was vastly entertaining, often making me sit down to watch a show that normally I wouldn't have much interest in what it does.

Ah well. All things must end eventually.

The hints are that all three will not be renewed by the BBC. I can almost guarantee that there will be a lucrative bidding war for all three should they decide to create a new program.

I have no idea what they're like in person/to work with, but this is sorta like breaking up Kirk/Spock/McCoy. Those three worked so well together (at least on screen) and had a synergy that was vastly entertaining, often making me sit down to watch a show that normally I wouldn't have much interest in what it does.

Ah well. All things must end eventually.

Indeed. I can't count the amount of times I've heard "I don't like cars but I still watch Top Gear", and I agree with it. I don't see a car show, I see a bunch of car obsessed people who make me laugh. Maybe they did the right thing by firing him (which sounds about right, if he really punched a producer over his food having gotten cold) but if those guys are out then the show might as well call it quits.

I find it weird that they are accusing him of violence and extreme abuse yet  nobody is taking him to court. If he's guilty of these firing him shouldn't  the main concern. LMAO

I don't watch these shows. Don't really care about cars but this case has been spammed and I know too much.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, from all accounts it was a verbal argument, and about 30 seconds of actual physical back and forth. The production guy went to A&E (ER) for a split lip.

Apparently, the police have now requested the BBC hand over details of their investigation in case of potential criminal charges should be brought.

Ah, the time honored tradition of cutting off the nose to spite the face. Maybe we can import them to take over the US version.

Top Gear USA is also made by the BBC.

if those guys are out then the show might as well call it quits.

As much as replacing the hosts is likely to be a trainwreck of epic proportions TG makes the Beeb 50 million profit a year and they have extensive contracts to supply it overseas. If they don't at least try replacements they're out that 50 mill at least, quite possibly plus penalties for failing to supply contracts as well.

The BBC will be utterly rubbish at getting replacements, the current crop was more in spite of the Beeb rather than because of them, a lot of potentially good people will not want the stigma and potential negatives of 'killing' the show/ following in such successful footsteps and there will be quite a push to get lentil eating hybrid enthusiasts in because, clearly, that is what people really want rather than dinosaurs. But they pretty much absolutely do have to at least try. If they could get May and Hammond to stay they might have a chance.