Boko Haram and the kidnpping of the school girls

BruceVC

Doesn't the leader of the group that kidnapped them... didn't he declare war on Abraham Lincoln?

Someone should hide Daniel Day Lewis.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If I may amplify my earlier statement: there may well be a morality wherein it is acceptable to abduct and rape schoolchildren en masse, but anyone who agrees with it should be hogtied and eaten by geese.

~~~

EDIT:

I found your reference to to Abe, on the Daily Beast

“I am not Boko Haram, I am Jamaatu Allus sunna lil daawati wal Jihad [People committed to the Prophet’s teachings and jihad]. I don’t care what you call me, you are in trouble,” he said in a riff that mocked not only U.S. President Barack Obama, but Abraham Lincoln. “I am against government of the people by the people,” said Shekau. “I am for government of the people by Allah.”

It's just fascism without the futurism.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

https://za.news.yahoo.com/u-deploys-surveillance-aircraft-over-nigeria-girls-064829135.html

The USA has deployed spy planes to help find the missing school girls, hopefully this should narrow down the search area

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Canada apparently is deploying JTF2 as well (Cons have to make a big play of this as it's good politics).  Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This isn't one of those things that are automatically helped by an awareness campaign and then fundraisers and whatever will sort out the rest.

# If you want to help go to Nigeria and buy a gun.

Douches trying to coopt the campaign to suit thier anti American agenda is even worse though.

• Like 5

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

This isn't one of those things that are automatically helped by an awareness campaign and then fundraisers and whatever will sort out the rest.

Douches trying to coopt the campaign to suit thier anti American agenda is even worse though.

i think its utterly reprehensible that during this particular crisis for these young girls people are spreading anti-American propaganda

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Meh, hardly reprehensible, nothing sacred about people looking sad and holding up signs.  Though I suppose it was effective, leaders love good PR like saving kids.  I did get a laugh out of a strip club closing in Toronto and a commenter posted "#bringbackourgirls :(", heh.

In other news - http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/05/nigeria-villagers-kill-boko-haram-fighters-2014514152412389219.html

Good on the villagers.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Meh, hardly reprehensible, nothing sacred about people looking sad and holding up signs.  Though I suppose it was effective, leaders love good PR like saving kids.  I did get a laugh out of a strip club closing in Toronto and a commenter posted "#bringbackourgirls :(", heh.

In other news - http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/05/nigeria-villagers-kill-boko-haram-fighters-2014514152412389219.html

Good on the villagers.

That is excellent news, well done villagers !!! But I wonder if special forces were helping them ?

John Milton 

Could be.  Looks good if the people of Nigeria are rising up against the scourge of Boko Haram, rather than foreign troops.  I guess it'd just be information as they were warned in advance, and no risk of some US/British soldier dying or getting hurt so win-win that way.

Nationality, political affiliation, and religion have nothing to do with how horrible this situation is, and we should all have great empathy for the girls and families involved.  #bringbackourgirls applies to anyone who is not a monster.

• Like 2

Well, happy to be a monster then :p

I had to laugh at the idea that US drones have killed more muslims than boko haram and their al qaeda mates.

Those things exploding in markets and schools and high streets across the Muslim world? Not pinatas full of yummy candy.

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/21/world/africa/nigeria-boko-haram-reach/index.html

So Boko Haram have stepped up there campaign of terror in north eastern Nigeria. There have been  several bomb blasts in the last few days that have cost the lives of several hundred Nigerians. Its scary when you see what happens when you get these types of terrorist groups that believe they can act with impunity and they are left to grow strong

John Milton 

Some good news, UK and USA advisors are being sent to Nigeria to assist. They say these aren't military personnel but I'm sure they are special force soldiers from both countries

Good news, our job isn't to help them, but to help them help themselves, otherwise in the end its usually comes back to bite us in the ass. Edited by Mor

Some good news, UK and USA advisors are being sent to Nigeria to assist. They say these aren't military personnel but I'm sure they are special force soldiers from both countries

Good news, our job isn't to help them, but to help them help themselves, otherwise in the end its usually comes back to bite us in the ass.

Good news, our job isn't to help them, but to help them help themselves, otherwise in the end its usually comes back to bite us in the ass.

Yeah I hear you, especially around when the West helps in certain cases it is later judged.

On some of the late night South African  radio talk shows some people are still making points like " the USA is only getting involved in Nigeria because of the Oil"

Its insulting and demonstrates a lack of understanding around why the West has been asked to assist with the Boko Haram

John Milton 

i think its utterly reprehensible that during this particular crisis for these young girls people are spreading anti-American propaganda

I think its utterly reprehensible that during this crisis America is spreading propaganda.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think its utterly reprehensible that during this crisis America is spreading propaganda.

I'm missing something, how is a campaign to raise awareness for a real and undeniable kidnapping propaganda? The definition of propaganda is about misinformation and misleading people. How is " Bring our girls back" misleading people?

• Like 1

John Milton 

@Orogun01, Of course one is part of global campaign to raise awareness to help those girls. The other is a cynical use of their suffering for its own agenda...

But then I suppose that your post was just a kneejerk reaction to seeing America not in negative light.

Edited by Mor

I'm missing something, how is a campaign to raise awareness for a real and undeniable kidnapping propaganda? The definition of propaganda is about misinformation and misleading people. How is " Bring our girls back" misleading people?

Not propaganda really, just usual politicians whoring themselves. This looks good on the government to citizens, yay they are saving innocent girls, etc. I suppose one could argue the US can now show it's might as a force for good or whatever based on this, but I'm pretty sure no one is naive enough to buy that these days.

Seems like the better tactic for Boko haram would have been to kill them all, definitely no one would care, no twitter campaign, etc.

Not propaganda really, just usual politicians whoring themselves. This looks good on the government to citizens, yay they are saving innocent girls, etc. I suppose one could argue the US can now show it's might as a force for good or whatever based on this, but I'm pretty sure no one is naive enough to buy that these days.

Seems like the better tactic for Boko haram would have been to kill them all, definitely no one would care, no twitter campaign, etc.

Okay, so I see this campaign totally differently. For me its about basic empathy and humanity. This is something that all governments should be raising and asking questions like " how can we assist Nigeria"?. For me to believe that Western countries want to do something to help purely because its the right thing to do is not naïve at all but what is to be expected

But the reality is many countries governments don't seem that concerned. The worst indictments around this apathy is for African countries, end of the day this is an African problem that the majority of African countries are not prepared to commit resources to. Its sad and highlights why the African continent hasn't achieved its full potential

John Milton