What you did today

Tale

Not a "done today" but a "still doing right now" so dear moderators feel free to delete if off-topic...

Having a nrevous break    |

down.

Was asked a few weeks back how I felt about doing a book reading for a couple of classes of primary school kids. The way the publishers described it I estimated around 40 kids.

Just talked to the organizers to hear the final number, find out the address and all that practical stuff.

Organizer asked me if I would be fine with splitting it into two readings as the room only fits 100.

200 kids vs melkathi in two rounds.

My money is on the kids.

I have no experience whatsoever with children!

I am an outspoken bachelor.

People say I am great with kids. The truth is, I treat them the way I'd like them to treat me: give them a court nod from across the room and leave them in peace.

Tuesday morning the good ole boys will be drinking whiskey and rye, singing this will be the day melkathi will die.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

You'll be fine, honestly there is very little difference between 40 and 100 kids.  What are you reading?  Have fun with it and keep  your voice loud and expressive.  They'll just be happy to have someone new in front of them.   :biggrin:

You can take 200 kids. Their mouths are usually at a height you can elbow them at.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We had our major software  vendor discuss new features on one of there products we support. Afterwards they took us for dinner and drinks so it was a good early evening :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Going out for drinks with coworkers to a rather poor choice of restaurant. Insufficient space for the most part and the table layout isn't efficient (largest tables can only accommodate 6 people).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@hurlshot:

Presenting my children's books. The plan is to read less and talk more. So I'll be talking about a silly dragon who is a hypochondriac (fully aware I'll have to explain what that is). Also think it may be fun for the kids to talk a little bit about the process, show some concept sketches and how those then turned into illustrations and scenes in the story.

@Malcador:

Elbows are great, but they can just zerg-rush me...

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Surface area, my man, try to fight them in a corridor, make a barricade from their bodies.   Hm...actually, never mind.

• Like 3

The New Guy has apparently come to the conclusion that 4:30 AM is a perfectly lovely time to be wide awake and petitioning the outside world for interaction. 

The joys of parenthood, huh?  :)

Saw a good variety of wildlife today, as I was working just north of a local habitat called Marine Corps Air Station Miramar ... Hornet after Hornet flew directly overhead, plus a number of Sea Stallions, and even an Osprey rumbled barely 1500' above. Loud and glorious. 

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Decided to get myself a dog in the near-ish future. Did some research and I like the temperament and the appearance of the English Greyhound a lot. Beautiful, fast, intelligent yet very calm and easygoing dogs. 

• Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

The New Guy has apparently come to the conclusion that 4:30 AM is a perfectly lovely time to be wide awake and petitioning the outside world for interaction.

He must be a kindred spirit of my neighbor, the unemployed dubstep fan.
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Decided to get myself a dog in the near-ish future. Did some research and I like the temperament and the appearance of the English Greyhound a lot. Beautiful, fast, intelligent yet very calm and easygoing dogs. 

Meet the dogs, don't read about them. My family has had around 20+ different dogs throughout my life and very rarely have I felt that the description of them (or their race) has had any relevance to my dogs. 

• Like 5

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Heat wave is one of the least convenient times to get sick, in a cold weather you get a respite from the heat bubbling inside, but in a heat wave its like every pore emanating heat, and your eyes are volcano. "Pro tip" in those times cold showers are better then sex.

Looks like a racing dog, a high energy dog. From the fitness thread I remember that you are a frequent flier in the gym, but I don't recall if your training program include something outside i.e. jogging or bike ride, because that would be a one sad puppy of you don't ;)
  • Like 1

Heat wave is one of the least convenient times to get sick, in a cold weather you get a respite from the heat bubbling inside, but in a heat wave its like every pore emanating heat, and your eyes are volcano. "Pro tip" in those times cold showers are better then sex.

Come to think of it I've never been sick during summer, but I imagine it must be hell having fever in hot weather. It must feel similar to cycling in really hot weather, thats when I reach body temperatures close to 40 degree Celsius for a couple of hours. But a couple of days....ouch.  :devil:

Get better soon. 

Looks like a racing dog, a high energy dog. From the fitness thread I remember that you are a frequent flier in the gym, but I don't recall if your training program include something outside i.e. jogging or bike ride, because that would be a one sad puppy of you don't ;)

I'm the perfect owner for dogs that like being outdoors and love running, I only spend around 10 hours / week pushing weights, I spend MUCH more time with mountain climbing, cycling and woods walks. I live in a rural area and since I'm single I've got lots of free time to spend outdoors after work.  ;)

Though I don't like hyperactive dogs at all, there is time for exercise and there is time for rest and relaxation. Fortunately according to several descriptions I've read Greyhounds are supposed to be surprisingly calm, intelligent and clingy animals making ''perfect pets'', but they're still extremely athletic and have their active periods. Sounds like a description of myself. ;)

Edited by Woldan

Invited with Purple Hair home to a director (she studies cinematography), who was promoting his new movie .. He personally invited about 20 students from her class to a private screening in his home. I've never really bothered a lot with Danish film making, so I didn't know the talent very well, but it was pretty interesting getting invited none the less. The movie was fairly standard, good even - but have been butchered in the reviews, which is why he invited some young people over, to get some input on modern internet marketing.

Fortune favors the bald.

Just keep your greyhound well away from any remaining rabbits in your menagerie as even the most mild greyhound, sooner or later, is likely to seize them and snap their necks. That's what they were originally bred for, after all.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Went 1-2 with my friend at chess over lunch. Screwed up a really good checkmate move though so am annoyed at that.

Just keep your greyhound well away from any remaining rabbits in your menagerie as even the most mild greyhound, sooner or later, is likely to seize them and snap their necks. That's what they were originally bred for, after all.

Thanks for the advice. I know, if there is one thing that makes dogs go absolutely nuts its bunnies/rabbits and other small furry fast moving creatures.

The best companion ever, human or not, was a black and tan half-and-half Rottweiler named Bruce. Big teeth, a big heart, and super smart. So lovable and strong, god I miss him.

Last day of work for this outfit. Time to start Friday's libations, as today was an inglorious end to an inglorious time.  

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

One of the sister's-in-law of my friend came over from Mexico for her first visit to Europe. She spent 5 days bouncing around France and then had five days here in the UK, so I got pulled into the general mix to help balance them out. Did the Avebury Stone Circle yesterday, and ended up down Brighton Pier  today. The joys of English weather going from incredibly sunny and warm, to todays 9 to 5 hard rain. Now she's flying back tomorrow and is at work on Monday.

It really hammers home some things to find out that the German firm she works for in Mexico City only allow her 6 days of holiday a year. Which is why she ended up doing this at Easter to get the "bonus" holiday time.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The best companion ever, human or not, was a black and tan half-and-half Rottweiler named Bruce. Big teeth, a big heart, and super smart. So lovable and strong, god I miss him.

Its such a shame that dogs don't live very long though, 10-15 years? My cat is 21.