• 2 months later...

Arden, on 17 Jul 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:snapback.png

Humans get an attribute bonus to Might and Resolve and a passive ability called Fighting Spirit

What is this? Are you a bot?

go to the wiki page for race

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_Wiki

I see, helping out the OP with a Wiki link repost 3 months too late. Okay.

I think attribute bonuses based on race is bad game design. It promotes playing certain races to certain builds. I don't mind race abilities (like fighting spirit) but attribute bonuses are very bad.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I think attribute bonuses based on race is bad game design. It promotes playing certain races to certain builds. I don't mind race abilities (like fighting spirit) but attribute bonuses are very bad.

Yes and no.

I think it is quite understandable that a dwarf may have a bonus to STRENGHT or MIGHT or whatver, while an elf may have better DEXTERITY.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

It seems natural to me that different species that have evolved apart from mankind for millions of years are quite different physically, not just the small racial variations we see in humanity in our world. Helps differentiate them to me.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

How are racial abilities any different? They are proabably more beneficial to certain classes as well.

How are racial abilities any different? They are proabably more beneficial to certain classes as well.

I don't think they are bad design so much as a necessary evil. My preference is for racial bonuses that apply to secondary abilities based on those attributes. I.e. saving throws, skill modifiers, special abilities, and so forth. But either way it encourages min-maxing.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

When they're attributes, it does semi-conflict with the nature of the attribute system. I'm with you, rjshae, though, in that I think it works better to apply racial modifiers to more specific things. If you want to denote that Dwarves are hearty and strong, for example, give them like a 25% mitigation to Fortitude-targeting effects, or a bonus 10% chance to knock back/down with melee attacks, or just a bonus to Strength checks (in scripted interactions and such), etc. That way, you don't just get 2 points of free Strength, along with all that affects, just because you're a Dwarf.

Any specific Strength value doesn't really represent any particular source/type of strength, so it makes the bonus more generic anyway. You take the Elf with a DEX bonus but a CON detriment, and you're just going to spend the unallocated points beefing up his CON if you want him to be more of a front-liner, and fewer points worrying with DEX because it's already higher. Sure, if you max out a stat, a unique difference is achieved. Otherwise, you're just achieving the same Strength value you could've achieved with any other race, if you really wanted to. You just got a "discount," as it were, for your allocation.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Attributes in PoE are not quite so class-linked as ability scores in most editions of A/D&D.  These aren't final lists (in fact, I haven't looked at them in a while and they will probably be adjusted soon), but these are the current attribute modifiers for the different base races:

* Aumaua: +2 Might

* Humans: +1 Might, +1 Resolve

* Elves: +1 Dexterity, +1 Perception

* Dwarves: +2 Might, +1 Constitution, -1 Dexterity

* Godlike: +1 Dexterity, +1 Intellect

* Orlans: +2 Perception, +1 Resolve, -1 Might

Races and sub-races also all have a special bonus.  Fighting Spirit was previously listed for humans.  Coastal Aumaua have Towering Physique, which grants them defensive bonuses whenever Prone or Stun afflictions are used against them.  Boreal Dwarves gain Hunter's Instincts, granting additional Accuracy against creatures of the Wilder and Beast types.  Wild Orlans have Defiant Resolve, giving them a bonus to all defenses whenever their Will is targeted by an attack.

• Like 9

Thanks for the info! I'll be checking out all the subraces when I can and will probably, sadly, succumb to min-max mania and select an elf again for my rogue character, as dexterity and perception are both excellent for that class. (I could have picked godlike for the stats if I didn't think they were ugly :p)

can you lose bonus points to stats in the point buy system, or is it impossible to decrease your stats there to spend those elsehwere?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

One of the most interesting races for me so far is the aquatic one.  I am wondering though if they are humanoid with gills or more murlock like or perhaps there are sliders with humanoid to murlock at the extremes?

I also really like the sub race additions to D&D and if there were no boring stock races, the excessive xp/leveling penalties could be diminished.

• 2 weeks later...

These aren't final lists (in fact, I haven't looked at them in a while and they will probably be adjusted soon), but these are the current attribute modifiers for the different base races:

so if this isn't the final maybe one of the elf sub race could get a +1 Intellect as the god like are the only ones for noew?

Under a black flab we compile.

so if this isn't the final maybe one of the elf sub race could get a +1 Intellect as the god like are the only ones for noew?

I don't see a need for this. In terms of cultural and magical development, the elven longevity would more than make up for a lack of an Intellect bonus. The +1 Perception bonus seems more appropriate to their reputation in fantasy literature.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This isn't an MMO. I see a lot of worry over min maxing. Why would that matter to anyone? I would assume though some races are better suited for certain classes (which makes sense lore wise), playing a dwarf wizard would be possible. Nobody is gear checking you at the raid entrance. This is single player so you control how you want to experience it. If you are obsessed with min maxing then do it. If not oh well.

• Like 1

I don't think people are worried about someone else possibly making a choice they wouldn't. I think it's more about making sure that choice isn't lacking in sufficient consequences, as the relationship between consequences and choices is one of the most powerful core concepts of RPGs.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

These aren't final lists (in fact, I haven't looked at them in a while and they will probably be adjusted soon), but these are the current attribute modifiers for the different base races:

It doesn't seem from the little lore we have on them that any of the species are systematically more intelligent than any of the others. Adding +Int probably wouldn't make sense given that.

• Like 2