Is Obsidian going to make Dungeon Siege 4?

Malignacious

I absolutely loved Dungeon Siege 3, the best combat I've ever played, amazing boss battles, animations, voice action, atmosphere and story. A bit consolized and dumbed down in some areas but otherwise an outstanding action RPG.

It would really be a shame if we wouldn't never see a sequel to such great game. Maybe this time make it your own IP so some people don't get hysterical over changes.

• Like 1

Probably not, but I suppose there's always a possibility. It does seem like Square Enix put the IP back to sleep after the game didn't meet their sales expectations.

Do we know the sales figures? I remember there being  a huge disparity between the criticism of it and an actual quality of it.

It actually made me angry a bit, reading misleading reviews and then playing a great action RPG with one of the best combat systems ever.

Do we know the sales figures? I remember there being  a huge disparity between the criticism of it and an actual quality of it.

Square Enix official figures were around 800k, while their expectations, which IIRC, either funcroc or C2B had taken out of an exec's LinkedIn page, were around 1mil+. That said, officially they seemed happy with sales, and Anthony Davis hinted on the RPGCodex that the budget, at least on the development side, was extremely low for an AAA production.

Ultimately, though, what matters is that, right now, they haven't announced anything Dungeon Siege after III and its DLC.

DS3 is horrible. Obsidian is better off making sequels to their actual good games. Heck, I'd rather a sequel to SP than DS. DS3 was a failure in every way. When the publisher flatly states it failed it means it failed. I can't beleive the same comopany responsible for quality titles like NWN2, MOTB, KOTOR2, and SP aslo made a title like DS3. Or just as bad as AP.

LONG LIVE PE! DEATH TO DS!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Is Obsidian going to make Dungeon Siege 4

I hope not (at least not in a while), I've just about had it with all things fantasy.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Petition Squeenix instead. Obsidian just works for food.

It is better if Obsidian petitions Square Enix.

Surely a petition from potential customers would carry more weight with Square Enix than a request to fund a game from Obs?

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 1 year later...

For what Dingeon Siege III is, a sequel to one of the most influential games I ever played, I have to say that it left me more than a little disappointed.

Overall, the game is very much worth playing. Combat is challenging, character interactions are engaging.. But much of it felt lazily constructed. The camera angles and combat was more reminiscent of Bladur's Gate than the gsme's actual predecessors. While it did tie into the lore of previous games, that relationship was barely passable.

For those who have not played the original game and its expansion, which really came into its own through the multiplayer, this game doesn't have the same meaning.

If Obsidian could capture the same feel as those original games, with the technology we have at our disposal today, we would have the potential for a World of Warcraft equivalent in terms of popularity.

The main issues I found with this game were, to start, the save feature. I have never before, in any previous game, been so happy to see a save point ahead. This is far from a positive thing. the secondary concern was camera angle. When playing with friends on this game, I often find myself having to take breaks to rest my eyes or nurse a rapidly-developing headache.

The items seem sloppy and lazily designed. There is so little variety, most of the gear has virtually no difference in appearance when equipped.

Despite the negative aspects of this game, and all the b*tching I'll do even while playing it, this game is worth the time to finish.

I'm hoping against hope that a re-release of Legends of Aranna is coming. I racked-up more playing time on that game than anything else this far. The nodding potential was one of its biggest attractions for me, and actually led to my interests in game design and coding as a major subject.