Obsidian style

Couldn't have said it better myself...

On the subject of who should do FO3:

While I love and appreciate the games I bought from Bioware (BG2, ToB and Kotor), they have a Disney like quality, completely unsuited for the dark gritty setting of Fallout. One just have to look at morality, death animations, brothels, you name it.

On another subject:

Future favourite ? I hope thats going to be Obsidian games, the Bioware formula is wearin a bit thin... I want to move from a Disney style universe to a Gerald Brom style universe

Lets just say, their target audience was probably 5 years older than Biowares. The products they developed themselves, IWD1+2, FO1+2 and PS:T had a lot of very well written dialogue (even the jokes were better), graphics that were way more "dark" and sinister, and music that was slightly more melancholic than f.x. Biowares games. Also a noticeable lack of hollywood style happy endings. I'll lean back, watch other posters and then probably remember a lot more ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sith Lords should certainly have a darker tone, in both content and graphics. I'm not sure how far they'll push that though. I'd like the dialog especially to be serious and mature. Comic relief used sparingly is fine but not at the expense of realism. I cringed at the DS dialog you were given. While funny it was totally out of character - "your son is a kath hound chew toy!". My sith is not going to say that. Another problem is the locations. With a few notable exceptions all the planets are bright and cheerful. Manaan, Tatooine, unknown world, etc.. create more dazzle than dread. We need some dark and sinister locations in Kotor2.

It's all David Gaider Humour vs. Black Isle Humour. ;) actually, gaider has quite a list of good ones up his sleeve, despite his legions of would-be assassins...

Ok, I'll eat part of my words, perhaps BIS' jokes weren't "better", but more "appropriate" for especially mean/evil situations. My favourite dialogue is still between Minsc and the Pirate Lord on spellhold ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

huh, even if Obsidian are darker (and Obsidian is pretty dark, hur hur), it's still a Lucasfilm production and a star wars game.

so there are probably any number of limits to the darkness in KOTOR2.

dumber than a bag of hammers

huh, even if Obsidian are darker (and Obsidian is pretty dark, hur hur), it's still a Lucasfilm production and a star wars game.

^^^ ;)

You're probably right. One wonders how much artistic control they are going to exercise. Hopefully not as bad as the one imposed by WotC/Hasbro whatever on DnD seems to be...

and music that was slightly more melancholic than f.x. Biowares games.

Icewind Dale 2 music has one of the most shameless rip-offs I have ever seen in a game. The movie Conan the Barbarian (1981) has the same tune that is playing in the area above the Targos docks. I have much respect for the original composer, Mr. Poledouris, and it is a shame to see someone else taking credit for his excellent work (unless he was actually credited but I haven't seen that).

I have nothing special to say here.

Icewind Dale 2 music has one of the most shameless rip-offs I have ever seen in a game. The movie Conan the Barbarian (1981) has the same tune that is playing in the area above the Targos docks. I have much respect for the original composer, Mr. Poledouris, and it is a shame to see someone else taking credit for his excellent work (unless he was actually credited but I haven't seen that).

Which tune from Conan, the main theme (Prologue/Anvil of Crom) ?

Just curious. I have both the Conan soundtrack cd and the IWD2 game, I'll do a comparison one of these days, if I get the time for it :huh:

Slightly reminiscent of Orphans of Doom, yes, but try listening to the Baldurs Gate II theme from his webpage...

That would be more than just borderline Basil Poledouris lookalike. :huh:

Icewind Dale II "The Town Of Targos"

http://www.inonzur.com/music.html

(mp3 version)

Yes, that's the song I was referring to.

I have a DVD right here but I don't have the soundtrack so I can't help you with the song's name. However, the song appears somewhere in the middle of the movie - when Conan decides to find Thulsa Doom on his own or even a bit earlier. But the overall impression is that the song in Icewind Dale 2 was put together from various bits and pieces of Mr. Poledouris' work. Even the different instruments didn't help in disguising the original song.

It seems we all agree that the song is somewhere in Conan but we can't decide where :)

I checked out the Baldur's Gate song as well and it's obvious that the composer is finding inspiration in Mr. Poledouris but he's just disrespecting him by giving him no credit. I wouldn

I have nothing special to say here.

It's all David Gaider Humour vs. Black Isle Humour.

Gaiders a pretty minor player on most of the **** crap. People give him more credit than he is due because he is on the boards a lot.

The things he had the largest hand in (ToB and Kotor) are hardly shining beacons of humor and design.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

Ok, I'll eat part of my words, perhaps BIS' jokes weren't "better", but more "appropriate" for especially mean/evil situations. My favourite dialogue is still between Minsc and the Pirate Lord on spellhold :)

Not sure what you're implying there. All the BG2 dialog was written at Bio.

Karzak, I take it you didn't like HK-47 and Jolee?

Karzak, I take it you didn't like HK-47 and Jolee?

The only NPC I liked whas whats her face after she became a dark jedi, couldn't stand her before that.

Jolee, no, the only thing I liked was carving him to pieces when he failed to kneel before me.

HK-47 I didn't use. I solo'd the game for the most part, haven't quite finished yet.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

The only NPC I liked whas whats her face after she became a dark jedi, couldn't stand her before that.

Jolee, no, the only thing I liked was carving him to pieces when he failed to kneel before me.

HK-47 I didn't use. I solo'd the game for the most part, haven't quite finished yet.

A confirmed darksider like you would probably like HK. He'd certainly like you.

It's kind of ironic that you only need HK-47 if you're doing the LS resolution on Tatooine.

am not sure what obsidian style is yet... however, if have to guess based on past works of major players, we would assume that kotor2 will be cancelled before lucas ever officially announces

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

bioware made a very successful game with kotor. the initial release sold out in a matter o’ days… which means that lucas were even surprised by the popularity of the title. game eventually sold loads of copies on multiple platforms. kotor made virtually every game magazine’s rpg of year, and occasionally even gots Game of the Year honors. Regardless of what you occasionally read here on these boards, kotor was a huge success both critically and financially. so, it not too much of a surprise that obsidian is going the safe route by trying to follow the formula they already seen work so well in the previous game… which is too bad, but it is understandable.

Every time I stop and think about it, I am just amazed that Obsidian managed to get this game. I mean what a flipping coup for a new dev. house's first game. It's an absolute can't miss, connect the dots hit. All they have to do, is not f- it up and they'll get a guaranteed best seller under their belts for a first release.

Corret me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the grudge between Interplay and Bioware over royalties, licensing/distribution agreements etc., not between BIS and Bioware. Always thought the latter two got along well :p