British Slang

NOK222

Being British and from London I can help you. However you are being extraordinarily vague.

You just quoted some contemporary 'text-speak' for example. Slang from the UK is a big subject (Scotland and Northern Ireland have some extremely good slang, for example) and you need to narrow it down a bit. Do you want London rhyming slang? Some Irish traveller-influenced slang from Kent? West country rural slang? The fact that in Wiltshire a wood-louse is colloquially known as a 'Chucky Pig?'

Please elaborate and I shall provide.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

The other thing you might want to think  of.. Look up "Britishisms" on the internet.

http://britishisms.wordpress.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_words_not_widely_used_in_the_United_States

There's been a few amusing news stories over people complaining about the corruption of the American language by how it's become trendy to adopt various British phrases and slang words of late.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The wife stills uses a few Yorkshire idioms now and then.

Owt = Anything.

Nowt = Nothing.

Example: Owt to lend?

Nowt!

Daft = Silly, moronic.

Banjo = Strike, punch.

Lamp = As Banjo.

Example: I'm gonna banjo that daft beggar!

E's not worth lamping.

Scrattin = Searching/gathering.

Shrapnel = Small coins.

Example: Owt to lend?

Sod off! I've been scrattin for shrapnel all week me'sen.

Snap = Meal, usually partaken of at work.

Scran = Any kind of food.

Example: Wot's she packed up for thee snap?

Nowt, 'ad a mountain o scran this morning.

I can't attest to the spelling.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Just guffaw constantly.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Being British and from London I can help you. However you are being extraordinarily vague.

You just quoted some contemporary 'text-speak' for example. Slang from the UK is a big subject (Scotland and Northern Ireland have some extremely good slang, for example) and you need to narrow it down a bit. Do you want London rhyming slang? Some Irish traveller-influenced slang from Kent? West country rural slang? The fact that in Wiltshire a wood-louse is colloquially known as a 'Chucky Pig?'

Please elaborate and I shall provide.

Northern, where Northern? I can't say. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Sry, I think I get your drift now.

'Northern.'

Well, for me anywhere north of Trafalgar Square is northern but I'm a (south) Londoner.

North, technically, includes Manchester and Liverpool (has it's own specific slang), Yorks and Lancs (ditto), the Northwest (qv Withnail and I) and of course the Northeast (Geordies, Mackams and all that from Newcastle, Sunderland and Tyneside).

I once went for a drink with a bunch of Newcastle FC fans. The offered me some 'Geordie Tapas,' by which they meant potato chips. Ha ha ha ha.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I now think of some Yorkshire hobo asking me I can spare some shrapnel.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Remember, anyplace about half an hours travel north of the Watford Gap is sliding beyond civilised life and into the wilds of northern England...  :shifty:

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Manchester and Liverpool has different slang.

For example, police in Liverpool are known as 'Bizzies' and people from Liverpool are known as Scousers. Deffo means definitely and Divvy is an idiot. I learnt this from (a) watching a soap opera set in Liverpool called Brookside and (b) working with one. Scousers are widely stereotyped as benefit-scrounging thieves. Their accents aren't accents, but in fact speech impediments. Here, try this on for size... http://thehouseofscouse.weebly.com/scouse-dictionaryslang.html

Mancs are a different kettle of fish. Despite being literally just down the road they sound completely bloody different and think they are the coolest people on earth. They have, admittedly, produced their fair share of awesome bands. The city is a dull testament to the efficacy of Prozac, built of dark red brick that sort of encloses you after ten minutes walking around the town centre. Slang - Dibble (police) madferit / upferit (mad for it / up for it as in going out) and keks are trousers. Hey, this is on the money. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mancunian-sayings-guide-common-words-6465030

I know, I'm awesome.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

Manchester and Liverpool has different slang.

For example, police in Liverpool are known as 'Bizzies' and people from Liverpool are known as Scousers. Deffo means definitely and Divvy is an idiot. I learnt this from (a) watching a soap opera set in Liverpool called Brookside and (b) working with one. Scousers are widely stereotyped as benefit-scrounging thieves. Their accents aren't accents, but in fact speech impediments. Here, try this on for size... http://thehouseofscouse.weebly.com/scouse-dictionaryslang.html

Mancs are a different kettle of fish. Despite being literally just down the road they sound completely bloody different and think they are the coolest people on earth. They have, admittedly, produced their fair share of awesome bands. The city is a dull testament to the efficacy of Prozac, built of dark red brick that sort of encloses you after ten minutes walking around the town centre. Slang - Dibble (police) madferit / upferit (mad for it / up for it as in going out) and keks are trousers. Hey, this is on the money. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mancunian-sayings-guide-common-words-6465030

I know, I'm awesome.

This is very helpful thanks. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

If you give us some idea of what kind of character you are trying to convey we would probably do a lot better. A complete rundown of all regional slang could take years.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The UK is filthy with dialects, I'll volunteer a couple of examples from Staffordshire.

"Ayup duck, ow-at?" - Hello Sir/Madam, how are you?

"Cans't kick a bo agin a wo an ed eet til eet bost youth?" - Can you kick a ball against a wall and head it until it bursts young man?

• Like 1

The UK is filthy with dialects, I'll volunteer a couple of examples from Staffordshire.

"Ayup duck, ow-at?" - Hello Sir/Madam, how are you?

"Cans't kick a bo agin a wo an ed eet til eet bost youth?" - Can you kick a ball against a wall and head it until it bursts young man?

It's amazing how much guff Americans get for their (our) English when the Britons themselves can have such a worse grasp of their own language.

Edited by AGX-17