I know of no example where a series that did get ported to consoles got better -- i.e., more to my subjective, personal tastes -- after being ported, whereas I can list a dozen examples off the top of my head where it got worse, and it got worse in specific, easy-to-point-out ways.

But can you name examples of series that did not get ported to consoles and got better. In the last decade or so.

(meaning BG - > BG2 doesn't cut it)

Because I can't actually, I think the need to simplify gameplay and improve visuals is something that's hardwired on all company men.

Total War series is one example where pretty much all the developement effort is spent on all the wrong things.

I actually quite like the evolution of Total War. I'm fairly hooked on Rome 2. Campaign play is finally more than just a side dish. Diplomacy is actually meaningful – I can secure some borders by forging alliances while keeping my expansion options open. Building choices are actually meaningful; not just "build everything as fast as you can." Agents contribute meaningfully to gameplay. Navies are a meaningful strategic factor. Terrain topology and concealment actually works, so you can meaningfully spring surprises in battles. Combined-forces battles work. Full-army morale works, so winning battles is all about breaking the other army's morale rather than just slaughtering the bejeezus out of them. And so on.

(Edit: gotta brag -- I just won a pretty tough battle yesterday against an army that was much bigger, led by a unit of war elephants. I focused my peltasts on the elephants, which killed the general, dealing a major morale blow. When their heavies engaged my heavies -- spread out in a thin line -- I sprung just one heavy unit out of hiding to hit one end of their line from behind, and focused my peltasts on the same knot. They routed, freeing up the two melee units to hit the next one, then the next, and the whole line unzipped beautifully. It was a close call though; by the time it got to the end, my unit at that end of the line had routed, but it was enough. Not so proud about how I got into that fight in the first place though; that was a mistake on the campaign map...) 

That said, I only jumped in at Patch 7, so I have no experience of the (apparently) horrifyingly incomplete state it was in upon release.

Another series which was on an upward slope was NWN. NWN OC was frankly bad. NWN HotU was a pretty decent dungeon crawl. Despite its flaws, NWN2 was better than either fo them. MotB was a real high point, and I very much liked the direction SoZ took, although it fell flat in the execution (killed by way too slow loading times IMO).

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

the thing is simple

consoles are made to be in the livingroom, with the user sitting on a couch with a pad (possibly wireless), across a 32"+ TV at an average of 2m (~6ft) from it. the controls of games made for consoles reflect this by being tailored for the pad's limited buttons

a game that has controls that are not tailored for the pad, cannot be played on consoles. even if said console can accept M&K as input devices, the user bought it to play games while lazying on the couch. if he wanted to use M&K he would just use the PC

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

pc-vs-console.jpg

:)

While I do remember good times back in 92 with consoles of that time, I can tell that mouse and keyboard never was a popular choice on a console. The average console gamer plays their duck and cover shooting games so I believe the market there is limited for a game like this.

Z4Bfs5s.jpgthere you go

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Since a Linux version is on the list, possibly PoE could be adapted to run on a Steam Box. it might take some experimentation with their controller though to figure out a decent way to play it.

If people want to play PE on something with a controller(Steam box, PS,xbox, whatever), then as long as you don't mind a port which would have to be dumbed down compared to the PC version and can gather enough money specifically for this goal. Then sure why not. I wonder what is the cost for outsourcing such cross platform solution.

We didn't fund it for a PS4 version. And I think a good number of the backers would consider it widely inappropriate if the funding they pledged went into producing a PS4 version.

Project Eternity isn't being designed as a game that supports mouse and keyboard. It's being designed as a game that mandates mouse and keyboard. Any efforts to support other input devices are, in my opinion, to be strongly fought against. There's too many concessions required to make it function. And a PS4 game with mandatory mouse and keyboard isn't going to end up being well received by those who are looking to play from the console, anyway.

I disagree. You speak like you can predict the future and deem it so. Time are changing and have changed. All mediums have converged and all in the process of doing so. Console people understand mouse and keyboard they are not retards you know. Sure you have some who wont but fools will always be fools no matter what. What unites us all is love of videogames . If I have a choice of picking pc version of a game or console I will take console almost everytime. Its the ease of use.

also if not for consoles, videogame business would be "out of business long time ago" . PC gaming is and was 95 percent pirated. To make those massive games costs money. you could never recoup that through pc sales. PC people scoff at console games or gamers but if not for them and that side for last 20 years there would be no pc games or such a rapid advance of cheap technology. There simply would not be enough revenue returns.

I believe there is a market for it. Many people are simply put off by building pcs . They dont get it. Its sounds and looks cumbersome . they just want to plug and play. Why do you want to not to include them into this ? when a port would be super cheap and accessible to many many more. That would make more revenue for the makers as they can self publish and create even a better bigger game in the future ?

Fail to see your logic in dismissing it like that.

Dude... I really try to stay calm, really... I've read your OP thread, and i said "well, ok, why not? If PC version isn't casualised, we are just all RPGs fans". And then, i've read the thread...

You accused people to do hasardous assessments, but the one you made the most of them here, is you...

At first,  the PC video game world was a happy and pinky one 15 years ago. We had low budget games with great concepts. Some games were cool, others where bad. That's life. Then, PC games started to be brought to consoles... Consequences:

-More budget, and as for the cinema, big budget = Well graphically shaped products with NO scenario. Hollywood as something stinky, so stinky in fact that Hollywood died 20 years ago. Nowadays 80% of your so beloved high budget you highly praised in your post is about 1st Pers 3D... And that's what people who backed PE don't want to see ever in this game.

-Stuff like incredible UI that make you feel so good that you just want to crush your PC with some kind of a heavy club... Thx budget.

-Stuff like gameplay casualisation because of needed simplifications in order to games to be easier to handle with consoles pads. Thx consoles.

The truth is i don't have anything against consoles players (it's a pb of money here). But i have a huge problem with people who argue that PC players are elitists when it's better for them than just building something deeper. You have become all you have condemned in your first post. All your posts, and even more the last i quoted are just assesments.

One more assesment: what if, without the great budget you speak about we just ended to have the same budget for PC gaming today? What about nowadays RPG in this alternative world? And last thing... All people who own a PC are not robbers who made the piracy a way of life. In my case, i just do it to "test before buying". And this is only because of the way gaming industry works today: lies, false features, exploiting franchises in order to do much money with as less work as possible (Dragon Age 2?), DRM thats prevents me from just USING the game i bought, User licenses that are not user licenses (ie you bought the game, but you're not legally owner of your (their) copy), etc...

I'm ok with PE on consoles after its PC release, but not with people that bring me to post such a... thing.

Edited by Abel

come on, if the controls are not "press a button, something awesome happens (and dont bother to think what the button does, the game will choose the best action automatically anyway)" what's the point of having a control system for the game? :brows:

-Teknoman2-

After seeing what happened with Dragon Age II, a great original game wich was "average" in the second edition, I hope that Obsidian hasn't wasted even a minute to think about porting it to PS4 o Xbox.

Obs have clearly stated that there won't be consoles versions of PoE.

I'm rather sure people here are using PCs, not smartphones or tablets to view this forum. PoE does not require high spec machine, therefore unless PC is really old, it should run PoE just fine. There is no need for a console port. If you want to play PoE comfortably sitting on the couch in front of TV then just connect your PC to your TV, it's not really an issue nowadays.

it will clearly not need the insane power that BF4 or Metro last light ask for.

judging from the video i would say that a PC with any 2-core cpu, 2 GB ram and an HD4850 would be more than enough at least at minimum settings

-Teknoman2-

I know of no example where a series that did get ported to consoles got better -- i.e., more to my subjective, personal tastes -- after being ported, whereas I can list a dozen examples off the top of my head where it got worse, and it got worse in specific, easy-to-point-out ways.

But can you name examples of series that did not get ported to consoles and got better. In the last decade or so.

(meaning BG - > BG2 doesn't cut it)

Because I can't actually, I think the need to simplify gameplay and improve visuals is something that's hardwired on all company men.

Total War series is one example where pretty much all the developement effort is spent on all the wrong things.

I assume you mean only sequels of the games that existed before?

Starcraft 2

Warhammer 40000 (multiple games)

Civilization 5

Age of Empires 3

Europa Universalis 4

Simcity 4

Dota 2

Crusader Kings 2

Yeah it's hard to find series that still exist and are still pc exclusive but i only looked at the real-time/turned based strategy games

I'm sure there are more in other genres i forgot.

IMHO the more  people playing PoE is better for everyone (us and the Devs).  The more successful it is, the more content we'll get.

If I was a Dev, I would change it for the consoles, turn it into an aRPG (ie hack 'n slash). While I do have a number of aRPGs for the X360 & PS3, the best ones are still Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and Champions of Norrath. I just bought the one from Obsidian so I can't comment on it - just played the trial version so far.

"I like cooking my family and my pets"

Use commas, don't be a psycho.

I'm rather sure people here are using PCs, not smartphones or tablets to view this forum. PoE does not require high spec machine, therefore unless PC is really old, it should run PoE just fine. There is no need for a console port. If you want to play PoE comfortably sitting on the couch in front of TV then just connect your PC to your TV, it's not really an issue nowadays.

Do people really think they will be able to play this game on more than 3-4 year old computers?

I really think so. What we've seen of the graphics so far looks high-end for about 2003. I'd guess a high-end computer from around then should be able to run the game just fine. If anyone still has one that is.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

If I was a Dev, I would change it for the consoles, turn it into an aRPG (ie hack 'n slash). While I do have a number of aRPGs for the X360 & PS3, the best ones are still Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and Champions of Norrath. I just bought the one from Obsidian so I can't comment on it - just played the trial version so far.

Oh yeah, we really need that dislike button. Aren't there enoug aRPG's to ruin this.

It's more made just because Obsidian wants it, rather than pure for the profit. And how often can that be said of games anymore in the current times. Less so from actual professional developers.

Also, "looks high-end for about 2003"? Guess the graphic whores entered the conversation... *sad sad sad*

I'm a sad puppy...

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Do people really think they will be able to play this game on more than 3-4 year old computers?
I really think so. What we've seen of the graphics so far looks high-end for about 2003. I'd guess a high-end computer from around then should be able to run the game just fine. If anyone still has one that is.
The overall look without zoom maybe. But firstly the details are much better, this are 3d models afterall not sprites. Combined with a hd/full hd resolution we end up with high cpu and ram consumption. Also I highly doubt the lightning Obsidian shown was made in DirectX below 9. I would say dx11, but lets assume it's 9. Any graphic card without dx9 is out. Also there was a hint of physX used so card would need to support that. I would say minimum would be 2cored cpu with at least 2 GHz, 4gb ram, DirectX 9 (if not 11) and physX compatibile card.

So the "I can run BG2 so I will run PoE" approach is not gonna cut it.

HD resolution is fine, but dont forget that at any given moment, 60% or more of what you see on the screen is prerendered 2D images

-Teknoman2-

The overall look without zoom maybe. But firstly the details are much better, this are 3d models afterall not sprites. Combined with a hd/full hd resolution we end up with high cpu and ram consumption. Also I highly doubt the lightning Obsidian shown was made in DirectX below 9. I would say dx11, but lets assume it's 9. Any graphic card without dx9 is out. Also there was a hint of physX used so card would need to support that. I would say minimum would be 2cored cpu with at least 2 GHz, 4gb ram, DirectX 9 (if not 11) and physX compatibile card.

So the "I can run BG2 so I will run PoE" approach is not gonna cut it.

ToEE came out in 2003, and it used the same basic techniques -- 3D models overlaid on an animated, pre-rendered 2D background. That's from 2003, and ran great on mid-range hardware of the day. 

PhysX doesn't need hardware support on the card. It just makes it run faster. I doubt the physics stuff in PoE will be heavy-duty enough for it to make a visible difference.

I would be willing to make a friendly bet that you can run PoE on a top-of-the-range 2003 computer reasonably well. Say, Athlon XP or Pentium 4 Northwood, GeForce PCX 5900, and as much RAM as it can take.