Good Old Games

Gorth

Sorry, it is. That's not enccessarily a bad thing but that's exactly what it is.

Sorry, it isn't. I have played and beat the game. I have also played every numbered FF except FF11.

It is nothing like a Final Fantasy game and it doesn't try to. It's its own thing.

• Like 1

Folks, this discussion would be so much more interesting if one of you would go into some detail about what sets Trails in the Sky apart/makes the game a shallow clone of Final Fantasy. What kind of tone does it strike? How does its battle system work? Why is it worth buying/not worth buying? At the moment all I've got to go on here is several posts of, "Yes it is." "No it isn't." "Yes it is."

• Like 3

I agree with MasterPrudent. It'd be good to know what's so good about the game.

Wow Hiro you really like to nitpick...why would you like  to know what's so good about a game? That's like saying....errr....oh wait you right. Its best to know the positive points in a game when a decision is made to invest in it. Good call :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm not telling people to buy or not to buy this game, I am only responding to Volourn. I don't know if he has played the game or not, but it is no Final Fantasy clone. Neither a clone of the numbered games or the Final Fantasy Tactics games.

How combat works:

-It is turn based.

-You fight on square grids.

-A maximum of 4 characters can be used in combat.

-You get into combat by touching enemies on the map.

-You cannot move where you want and attack in the same turn. You have to choose. Do I want to move out of the way of an AoE spell, or do I stay put and try to unleash my own attack.

-I played it a while ago, but I think you can interrupt enemy spells when they are charging.

-There's a turn order bar. You can see who's about to attack and it is possible for both you and your enemies to use this to your/their advantage.

-You have your regular options like Attack, Move, Art (spells), Craft (special attacks you can use when you gain SP), Item, Run.

-Buffs and debuffs can be very useful.

-No grinding is needed. You might have to grind for one level at times. There is a diminishing exp gain from the same area once you gain levels.

-You use orbments to customize your characters and their skills/spells. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4SE4BF2q8 Go to 5:15 and they show the orbment system.

I think this video is a decent showing of how the combat is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8BZLQE91JU

On the story part: I think it's a bit overrated by people who are big fans of the game. The game is slow paced and it only gets really interesting in the final third of the game, imo. On the other hand, the events that were interesting means I really want to play Second chapter.

• Like 2

Thanks, Labadal. The complex combat and no grinding put this on the wishlist.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

but Labadal, you just described FFT  :huh: when you said it was a true RPG I was hoping you meant C&C, huge world to explore, interesting character progression system etc.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

but Labadal, you just described FFT :huh: when you said it was a true RPG I was hoping you meant C&C, huge world to explore, interesting character progression system etc.

My bad. I meant traditional jrpg rather than a Japanese srpg.

There are no classes. You move through the world. The cities and dungeons aren't some menu you click on. You explore them like a traditional rpg. It's not really anything like Final Fantasy Tactics. (FFT is one of my favorite games.)

but Labadal, you just described FFT  :huh: when you said it was a true RPG I was hoping you meant C&C, huge world to explore, interesting character progression system etc.

-It is turn based.

• Like FFT

• Like FFT

• Not Like FFT

• Not Like FFT

-You cannot move where you want and attack in the same turn. You have to choose. Do I want to move out of the way of an AoE spell, or do I stay put and try to unleash my own attack.

• Not Like FFT

-I played it a while ago, but I think you can interrupt enemy spells when they are charging.

• Not Like FFT

-There's a turn order bar. You can see who's about to attack and it is possible for both you and your enemies to use this to your/their advantage.

• Not Like FFT

-You have your regular options like Attack, Move, Art (spells), Craft (special attacks you can use when you gain SP), Item, Run.

• Similar to FFT, but similar to many turn based RPGs

• Not like FFT

-No grinding is needed. You might have to grind for one level at times. There is a diminishing exp gain from the same area once you gain levels.

• Similar to FFT, which didn't really need grinding although you could do it to uber your characters.

-You use orbments to customize your characters and their skills/spells. 

Go to 5:15 and they show the orbment system.
  • You can customize your characters and skills/spells with FFT's Job System, but I'm saying "Similar" rather than "Like"

So Tally is

2 Likes, 6 Not Likes and 3 Similars

Ruling is

NOT LIKE

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I admit it was a long time ago when I last played FFT, but I could've sworn it had many of those features

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

:thumbsup:

-It is turn based.

• Like FFT

• Like FFT

• Not Like FFT

• Not Like FFT

• Not Like FFT

• Not Like FFT

• Not Like FFT

• Similar to FFT, but similar to many turn based RPGs

• Not like FFT

• Similar to FFT, which didn't really need grinding although you could do it to uber your characters.

-You use orbments to customize your characters and their skills/spells. 

Go to 5:15 and they show the orbment system.
  • You can customize your characters and skills/spells with FFT's Job System, but I'm saying "Similar" rather than "Like"

So Tally is

2 Likes, 6 Not Likes and 3 Similars

Ruling is

NOT LIKE

This is another thing I admire about you, your absolutely tenacity and analytical thinking that is impossible to dispute when you apply yourself.

Good post, you have single handedly settled the argument :thumbsup:

Volo just admit you were wrong, you will feel much better about this whole debate later on :yes:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Eh, to be fair it's probably a bit tongue in cheek. You can't evaluate similarity on a list of arbitrary dot points which are arbitrarily given the same weight.

(Not that I can strictly dissent, I've played neither game, and indeed no JRPG other than the ubiquitous FF7) (EDIT: I lied, I also played Super Mario RPG)

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Eh, to be fair it's probably a bit tongue in cheek. You can't evaluate similarity on a list of arbitrary dot points which are arbitrarily given the same weight.

(Not that I can strictly dissent, I've played neither game, and indeed no JRPG other than the ubiquitous FF7) (EDIT: I lied, I also played Super Mario RPG)

I think you are nitpicking now :)

What is listed are fundamental parts of the one game and then there is a direct comparison to the other game and 75 % of the features don't exist in that game, counting the  fact certain RPG will always have similar traits

I stand by the comment its enough evidence to say that games aren't similar?

John Milton 

Sounds like a decent turn based RPG with story/writing to ignore completely, I'll check it out when I get a Fire Emblem withdrawal.

I'vebeen playing the game. Anyone who doesn't think this is a FF like JRPG is wrong. That, btw, doesn't mean it's exactly th same 'cause it isn't. More importantly, it's not a bad thing. I've only done a few hours but the game is fun - definitely better than the overrated DOS. Of course, it has the usual JRPG (ala FF) of  pre made protagonists, linear story, and no real choices to be had.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Pre-made characters means it's like Final Fantasy? Then I guess most jrpgs are like Final Fantasy. There will be some choices in the game, but as I have only played it once, I don't know how big their effect are if you do another playthrough. I'm guessing they don't change much.

"Pre-made characters means it's like Final Fantasy?"

Yes. And, it's far from the only reason why it is  a FFish game.

"Then I guess most jrpgs are like Final Fantasy."

That's because they are.  As they should be. It's why they are part of the same genre after. FF is just the most famous one.

The fact people find it insulting is laughbaly hilarious, OMG! POR:ROMD is  like BG so they must both be the same quality. NOT!

"There will be some choices in the game, but as I have only played it once, I don't know how big their effect are if you do another playthrough. I'm guessing they don't change much."

Yeah, they don't from what I see outside of how quickly your rise int eh guild ranks. Meh. But, that's, to be expected in a JRPG that is a wannabe FF.

"Pre-made characters means it's like Final Fantasy?"

Yes. And, it's far from the only reason why it is  a FFish game.

"Then I guess most jrpgs are like Final Fantasy."

That's because they are.  As they should be. It's why they are part of the same genre after. FF is just the most famous one.

The fact people find it insulting is laughbaly hilarious, OMG! POR:ROMD is  like BG so they must both be the same quality. NOT!

"There will be some choices in the game, but as I have only played it once, I don't know how big their effect are if you do another playthrough. I'm guessing they don't change much."

Yeah, they don't from what I see outside of how quickly your rise int eh guild ranks. Meh. But, that's, to be expected in a JRPG that is a wannabe FF.

WE'll agree to disagree, then. To me, the game is nothing like a Final Fantasy game. To you, it is. We won't be getting anywhere because we will keep going in circles.

• 2 weeks later...

More GOGish topic: GOG is a money sink. I now have 53 games on it including about half a dozen in the past few weeks and 3 today. Most of whcih I'll never complete and some I even have hard copies of. L0L But, $5 for old/relatively new games is ahrd to pass up. LMAO