inXile

Theseus32

Ok. Serious question. Being that you're getting funding from kickstarter over the whole project eternity thing, I gotta ask. How much money would we, your audience, need to throw at you and Brian Fargo to legitimately get the freaking band back together? I mean Black Isle, dammit. For YEARS the only two names in RPGs were Squaresoft and Black Isle. And since squaresoft seems to be trying to get as far away from RPGs as humanly possible while still superfically being a production company, I wanna know what it would take to get Black Isle back together. The whole damned team.

Now don't get me wrong, Obsidian has done a stellar job for years picking up the slack, and we're going to continue throwing copious piles of cash at you and Fargo both regardless, but it seems to me that if you're serious about this whole "letting customers fund our games provided we give them what they want" let me just say this. We want freaking Black Isle back. You guys were amazing. And Obsidian still is, but dammit, inXile knows its games and wasteland 2 is prepped to steal fallout 3d's crown as a freaking isometric game. The kickstarter folks love you both. But it'd be swell if we didn't have to decide whose games to fund and could just fund the hell out of both of you at once.

Give it some thought. Obsidian Xile has a nice ring to it.

Obxile

Insidian

Humm... well, in the latest presentation with Chris Avellone MIGS 2013 he talks about their good relations with one another. Just like Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Numenera are various spiritual successors of previous games, inXile and Obsidian's co-operation is kind of a "spiritual" Interplay/Black Isle~ (in a way). The soul is still there but physically it's split. Kind of like a cell/amoeba that has divided itself :p

"The Exiled Soul of the Black Isle" sounds like a Quest NPC!

Two things

First, while InXile now has a few ex-Black Isle employees, they are actually more Interplay rather than the Black Isle division specific. Not to mention most of the Black Isle guys are mainly working not directly at InXile. Blizzard for example has around as many (a bit less atm probably) ex Black Isle employees.

And secondly, I prefer having two companies who work on a friendly basis rather than one.

So, nope. You wouldn't get the *whole team* back in the first place.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So now I need to look up Inxile, but last I heard they were letting their fans vote on turn based vs real time, and when games let the public decide how to develop them, they become crap.

I think they can do that because battle is not the focus of Numenera, just like Planescape Torment.

• 3 weeks later...

So now I need to look up Inxile, but last I heard they were letting their fans vote on turn based vs real time, and when games let the public decide how to develop them, they become crap.

I think they can do that because battle is not the focus of Numenera, just like Planescape Torment.

They held a vote, but they had pre-ordained turn-based the winner. So there was no danger of the public changing anything.

I kind of like the way things are right now, with inXile and Obsidian Entertainment being two separate entities while having a close working relationship.  I don't think it's possible to completely return to the 90s Interplay and Black Isle days as both those entities still exist as some weird, twisted, perverted, abominable simulacrums.  If both Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity deliver, and the early consensus on the Wasteland 2 beta (I haven't played it myself so this is purely hearsay) seems to be positive, then I think we will be as close to 90s Interplay/Black Isle as it's realistically possible to get.

The RPG landscape is looking pretty good on the horizon with Atlus picking up much of the slack for The Artist Formerly Known as Squaresoft (though Squeenix does still put out some good RPGs, just for handhelds) and From Software and CD Projekt RED doing some really good things.  In a shocking move out of left field, Ubisoft is even publishing a core Might & Magic game.  I've played it (Early Access), and it's honest to goodness old-school Might & Magic. Now, if we could only get late 90s/early 00s BioWare back, then we'd truly be in another Golden Age of RPGs.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks