• Priest
    • Ranger
    • i dont like the idea
  2. 2. continues form 1

• Druid
    • monk
    • i voted 6 at q1
    • i dont like the idea

I had a lot of time to think these 3 days i was in the hospital and came up with an idea-suggestion for the mega update they promissed.

Each of us votes for 6 classes. The 6 classes with the most votes, are used to make a party and Josh plays a story irrelevant small dungeon with it and shows us the video to see how the game works in its current state

What do you think?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I picked my favourite class and 5 classes I want to know more about how they function in combat. I'd love to see some gameplay involving the cipher, chanter, paladin, druid and monk.

I might have picked barbarian for 7.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I don't really think that's going to work. I'd love the idea, but honestly, I doubt Obsidian will be that responsive to an update suggestion. Mainly because they are still showcasing the game and showcasing according to communityfeedback might not be the best idea. 

Nevertheless I'd love to see all the classes in action in like a traileresque manner.

By the way, all the best. Hope your hospital  stay wasn't too bad.

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

I don't really think that's going to work. I'd love the idea, but honestly, I doubt Obsidian will be that responsive to an update suggestion. Mainly because they are still showcasing the game and showcasing according to communityfeedback might not be the best idea. 

Nevertheless I'd love to see all the classes in action in like a traileresque manner.

By the way, all the best. Hope your hospital  stay wasn't too bad.

i thought id get a transfer from surgical to psychiatrical because i felt i was going to lose it due to boredom and i had no idea how long they planned to keep me in. i did a minor surgery this friday (the type: you get opened, you get patched you go home in about 30 minutes), but they kept me in to feed me antibiotics due to an infection. i felt like a prisoner being releashed this morning when they said i can go home

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The update is actually just going to be that they're announcing the official initialization of Skynet. 8)

Seriously, though... that's a good idea. I would love to see gameplay footage with someone who can actually show off all the features and specifics doing the piloting.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Apparently my class opinions are in line with everyone so far at least, my top pics are the top 6 picks right now.  I agree that an actual short walkthrough of a small part of the vertical slice level would make a really great update.

I would be *very* surprised to see a lengthy gameplay video like Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun Returns (12-20 mins long) but I have a feeling they might have a short combat demo or something in the range of a few minutes.

A while ago they were doing presentations inside the studio to members of other teams that were not familiar with isometric RPGs (such as that Roby guy)

Otherwise I can think of:

New screenshots

UI Alpha (UIv3)

Music

Backer website

I had a lot of time to think these 3 days i was in the hospital and came up with an idea-suggestion for the mega update they promissed.

Each of us votes for 6 classes. The 6 classes with the most votes, are used to make a party and Josh plays a story irrelevant small dungeon with it and shows us the video to see how the game works in its current state

What do you think?

They will already have something planned, if anything it will be a semi-rehearsed to rehearsed short video. You can bet that the core four classes will be in the video (Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Priest).

Of the other classes I think the Monk and the Cipher are two 'flashy' classes that would be cool to show off.

Edited by Sensuki

My AH part will consist of Paladin, Barbarian, Cipher, Ranger, Druid, and Chanter, so I picked those.

I personally would be fine with a complete and detailed rundown of each class, with starting defenses and attack values shown and class-specific talents revealed. I'm particularly interested in the spell-lists of the caster classes, as that will influence how my party is built.

A reveal of the complete mechanics would also be fantastic, but I seriously doubt Obsidian has already completed and/or finalized every mechanic.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hmm, me picking classes all depends on what kind of companions we are talking about. If they are anything like Grobnar in NWN2 I'll push them into the nearest bramble shrub, but if they are like Kaelyn, I'll be happy to invite them into my little party.

And when it's time for Adventurer's Hall, I'll perhaps pick one or two doubles, that is, two party members from the same class, just to se what kind of party I'll get then.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Haha, they should do a Champion Sp...! Errr... I mean "Class" Spotlight ;P NO! I am not suggesting it, just joking around (How would that even work for a Single Player game?).

I never considered this, but Christmas is coming up soon. I do wonder what sort of updates are going to pour in. I also hope the Backer site gets up before or short after the 25th of Nov so I can upgrade my Slacker Backer contribution somehow.

If they make a gameplay video I'd actually prefer if they do not talk too much about the Classes, but merely showcase pacing. Kind of how Bioware showcased Dragon Age: Inquisition (the one with the screamy girl) I suppose (they didn't talk much about the classes, if any at all, just very very slightly. It was mostly mechanics that stood out, such as the hook, dodge roll, smashing doors/objects down and tactical camera that got emphasized in my opinion. The classes themselves were not talked too much about). I think this was a good way to showcase the game, it's minor flirting with some minor reveals and elements from the game. Let me explore and experience the classes myself, being a Single Player game and all.

Heck, Obsidian could even make a gameplay video without even saying any Class name at all, that could also create discussion and speculation "Which Class was that?? :O" or "Can a Chanter semi-tank!? :O" etc. etc.

honestly the fighter, monk, chanter, cipher, wizard, rogue are all classes i'd really like to see becuz they seem to have new mechanics that are very interesting.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I personally think a playtest will be a LONG way off, but I'd like to see how the non wizard spellcasters work. I also chose the paladin and barbarian, because I want to see who can tank if no fighter is in the party. That's it, I want to see what can be done in this game WITHOUT a fighter or a wizard, since for me those two sound closest to autoincludes.

Edited by forgottenlor

I personally think this will be a LONG way off, but I'd like to see how the non wizard spellcasters work. I also chose the paladin and barbarian, because I want to see who can tank if no fighter is in the party. That's it I want to see what can be done in this game WITHOUT a fighter or a wizard, since for me those two sound closest to autoincludes.

Maybe a monk could sub in for a fighter in that role? Their wound mechanic kinda-sorta lets them heal themselves with their own attacks. There's also druid shapeshifting, which we know little about so far (and surprise, look what the most-voted-for class is). Paladins are buff-centric, but they're also frontline dudes, so they'll have decent defences (and paladins have buffs that further improve allies' defences).

jcod0.png

There's also druid shapeshifting, which we know little about so far (and surprise, look what the most-voted-for class is).

Sorry to dissappoint, but its certainly not the druid and probably wasn't at your time of writing. The bar just seems so high because percentages are broken down separately within the two pools. The classes with most votes are rogue and wizard at the moment, if you can call ~30 votes statistically significant at all.

That's not to say that an update on the druid wouldn't be interesting (although I dislike the concept and would never play one).

Edited by Doppelschwert

There's also druid shapeshifting, which we know little about so far (and surprise, look what the most-voted-for class is).

Sorry to dissappoint, but its certainly not the druid and probably wasn't at your time of writing. The bar just seems so high because percentages are broken down separately within the two pools. The classes with most votes are rogue and wizard at the moment, if you can call ~30 votes statistically significant at all.

That's not to say that an update on the druid wouldn't be interesting (although I dislike the concept and would never play one).

Aw, dammit.

Here I thought everyone was down to learn more about the rad wereperson class.

jcod0.png

Yeah, I suppose the monk could sub in as well. I never thought of him as a better tank than a Barbarian or Paladin, but if he could fill the role of front rank damage absorber better, than why not?

Uh not really.  There is already much discussion in the "hit miss or glance" thread in the mechanics forum about what value a fighter is and so on.  Sawyer himself made it pretty clear that the Fighter was the "Tank" and other classes could take hits sure but none of them could do what the fighter does in the "tank" regard.  He even specifically stated that barbarians were suited for aoe dps and had little tanking ability at all and said the paladin was not well suited to it either.  So basically if you want a full on "tank" in your party you are bringing a fighter.

Yeah, I suppose the monk could sub in as well. I never thought of him as a better tank than a Barbarian or Paladin, but if he could fill the role of front rank damage absorber better, than why not?

Uh not really.  There is already much discussion in the "hit miss or glance" thread in the mechanics forum about what value a fighter is and so on.  Sawyer himself made it pretty clear that the Fighter was the "Tank" and other classes could take hits sure but none of them could do what the fighter does in the "tank" regard.  He even specifically stated that barbarians were suited for aoe dps and had little tanking ability at all and said the paladin was not well suited to it either.  So basically if you want a full on "tank" in your party you are bringing a fighter.

I think that is a bit exaggerated. To quote:

Fighters are not a high damage output class.  Rogues are.  Fighters are the most durable and reliable combatants in the class lineup.  Barbarians are cool mob-oriented characters, but they cannot hold a line and they cannot endure long-term punishment like a fighter can.  Rogues will absolutely annihilate a single target faster than a fighter (or barbarian), but have limited durability and are bad at dealing with groups.  Paladins grant great bonuses to their teammates and are fantastic when paired with other nearby characters, but they are not as durable as a fighter and they don't have many potent offensive abilities.

However, this is what he responded to the complain that paladins are not offensive characters:

Paladins have flagged behind other melee classes in raw damage output in every edition of A/D&D.  In 1st and 2nd Ed., the only core damage-based bonus they had was from using a Holy Sword.  In the BG/IWD games, they could specialize, but they couldn't gain mastery+.  Even their BG2 kits only have conditional attack/damage bonuses.  The rest of their class abilities are mostly passive defensive bonuses or support effects (Lay on Hands, Cure Disease, etc.).

You seem to be equating "not top-tier damage dealer" with hitting like a limp noodle.  This isn't the case at all, just as is wasn't in the BG/IWD games.

I think the same applies to the Fighter:

Fighters may be the top tier tank, but that doesn't mean that all other characters are easily falling down to the enemy just because they are worse tanks than top tier. He even states in an example that he could have used the paladin in order to shield his mage because his fighter was distracted, so playing paladins as tanks is certainly viable and the same goes probably for the monk. Just don't expect any miracles from them since they don't have the special abilities the fighter has for tanking, but thats a given.

Edited by Doppelschwert

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that a monk or whatever would be "as good as" a fighter at eating up attacks. If a class is made to be really ****ing good at something, as fighters are at taking hits, other classes probably aren't going to threaten it in its niche. My bringing up the monk and druid was more me saying "these dudes could probably take a fair few hits if you're willing to sacrifice (other things they're normally better at)", not that they'd be full-on fighter replacements.

And yeah, barbs are gonna have naturally crap deflection, if my memory serves. Tank for your party by killing everything before it can attack!

Edited by Tamerlane
  • Like 1
jcod0.png

I also don't believe the monk will be "as good as" a tank as a fighter. I'd like to see a party without a fighter that isn't hamstrung, though, and I'd like to see who takes point when no fighter is present. I can't imagine that being the rogue (though perhaps I'm wrong), so I'd like to see if another character can be build to do that. The only possiblities I see are: Paladin, Monk, & Barbarian.

Edited by forgottenlor

Oh yeah we haven't seen Orlans, Godlike or Aumaua races in the game yet, just concepts (and even then, the Aumaua concepts were *very* simple. So I am looking forward to that way more than classes.

Also seeing monsters in game too.