What's on the idiot box... Part 2

Rosbjerg

It's possible it's because so many of them look and sound sorta the same, to me, under the dirty faces and the helmets. A lot of them aren't very distinctive

And neither my wife or I had any trouble keeping track of them.  Seriously LC I don't get it.  Luz, Buck, Malarkey, Heffron, Popeye, Roe, Bull, Blythe, Winters etc. ... are as distinctive a group of guys as you could create.     

I remember the plot point of the guy who loses his brother.  ......

Apparently not since it is made abundantly clear that Guarnere does find the letter accidentally - he picked up Martin's jacket by mistake during a movie before the jump.   Martin and Lipton discuss whether to tell Bill about Henry's death before the jump and Martin ultimately decides against it.  Bill even apologizes to Martin for grabbing his jacket by mistake.

It's bad characterization/motivation sequencing .........

Multiple awards for Best Television mini-series including an emmy and golden globe would indicate otherwise.   Let's just agree to disagree. 

Edited by kgambit

I'm rewatching the entire series of The Slayers. I'd say I forgot how good it was, but I didn't forget. I just never made time.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's possible it's because so many of them look and sound sorta the same, to me, under the dirty faces and the helmets. A lot of them aren't very distinctive

And neither my wife or I had any trouble keeping track of them.  Seriously LC I don't get it.  Luz, Buck, Malarkey, Heffron, Popeye, Roe, Bull, Blythe, Winters etc. ... are as distinctive a group of guys as you could create.     

I remember the plot point of the guy who loses his brother.  ......

Apparently not since it is made abundantly clear that Guarnere does find the letter accidentally - he picked up Martin's jacket by mistake during a movie before the jump.   Martin and Lipton discuss whether to tell Bill about Henry's death before the jump and Martin ultimately decides against it.  Bill even apologizes to Martin for grabbing his jacket by mistake.

It's bad characterization/motivation sequencing .........

Multiple awards for Best Television mini-series including an emmy and golden globe would indicate otherwise.   Let's just agree to disagree. 

Man, kgambit, I don't know if you're intending that but you sound condescending in your last few posts here. "Well the facts are that your opinion is wrong! Psh, what you found unclear was abundantly clear! What you found indistinct was totally distinct! Fact!" I'm pretty sure it's not your intention to be rude, so just a heads up that you're coming across that way.

Apparently not since it is made abundantly clear that Guarnere does find the letter accidentally - he picked up Martin's jacket by mistake during a movie before the jump. Martin and Lipton discuss whether to tell Bill about Henry's death before the jump and Martin ultimately decides against it. Bill even apologizes to Martin for grabbing his jacket by mistake.

Well, I'd have to watch it again, maybe I missed something. My memory goes like this tho:

The two guys are discussing it in front of a plane. The one says "Would you tell him?" The other goes "Right before the jump?" First guy looks at the ground kinda going "umm..." - nothing clear cut there.

Guy could've left the letter and jacket hoping for what happened to happen, to happen. Not sure that was clear cut either. But certainly could have been unintentional...was just assuming since the previous scene made it seem like the first guy wanted to tell him but could've been hesitant to directly because of his convo with the other dude.

At any rate, I'm not trying to bash the show or say it's a bad show. It just doesn't seem to work for the way my memory works I guess. I'm the sort who remembers there's a big cherry tree and a picket fence on the street corner but won't remember the name of the street, what a guy at a party was wearing but not their name or specifically what they said during a 20 minute convo, and I'm utterly terrible at remembering/learning from dialogue alone (listening to dry lectures, for example - won't recall a thing...). I need more visual representation of a character/more time with a character to make them resonate in my brain outside of knowing what role they serve in the plot (main chr, guy-who-lost-his-brother, commander-guy, etc). Which doesn't have to be "action," but dozens of faces running by at lightning speed with nothing for me to latch onto other than people telling me their names once (exaggeration, but you get my meaning I hope) and I can get lost. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Apparently not since it is made abundantly clear that Guarnere does find the letter accidentally - he picked up Martin's jacket by mistake during a movie before the jump. Martin and Lipton discuss whether to tell Bill about Henry's death before the jump and Martin ultimately decides against it. Bill even apologizes to Martin for grabbing his jacket by mistake.

Well, I'd have to watch it again, maybe I missed something. My memory goes like this tho:

The two guys are discussing it in front of a plane. The one says "Would you tell him?" The other goes "Right before the jump?" First guy looks at the ground kinda going "umm..." - nothing clear cut there.

Guy could've left the letter and jacket hoping for what happened to happen, to happen. Not sure that was clear cut either. But certainly could have been unintentional...was just assuming since the previous scene made it seem like the first guy wanted to tell him but could've been hesitant to directly because of his convo with the other dude.

At any rate, I'm not trying to bash the show or say it's a bad show. It just doesn't seem to work for the way my memory works I guess. I'm the sort who remembers there's a big cherry tree and a picket fence on the street corner but won't remember the name of the street, what a guy at a party was wearing but not their name or specifically what they said during a 20 minute convo, and I'm utterly terrible at remembering/learning from dialogue alone (listening to dry lectures, for example - won't recall a thing...). I need more visual representation of a character/more time with a character to make them resonate in my brain outside of knowing what role they serve in the plot (main chr, guy-who-lost-his-brother, commander-guy, etc). Which doesn't have to be "action," but dozens of faces running by at lightning speed with nothing for me to latch onto other than people telling me their names once (exaggeration, but you get my meaning I hope) and I can get lost. :)

I bet if all the actors were cats you would remember them :cat:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And neither my wife or I had any trouble keeping track of them.  Seriously LC I don't get it. 

Omar was 'oh right, the gay hitman guy' for ages when I watched the Wire, and he's about as distinctive as it's possible to get. It's just a personal thing how long it takes characters and programmes to click, and indeed whether they ever do.

Guys I started watching Bitten, I'm only on episode 2 but its very entertaining. Its about Werewolves if you like that type of thing :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And neither my wife or I had any trouble keeping track of them.  Seriously LC I don't get it. 

Omar was 'oh right, the gay hitman guy' for ages when I watched the Wire, and he's about as distinctive as it's possible to get. It's just a personal thing how long it takes characters and programmes to click, and indeed whether they ever do.

Well, that is how the writers made him seem, though. I mean what else do we know about him? he can carry off a flamboyant tie?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I bet if all the actors were cats you would remember them :cat:

Only if they aren't all the same color. I still can't tell all 101 Dalmations apart!

....the past couple years I can (ready for it?) also blame my cat. His unrelenting stare and constant chin rubbing of my shoes can be a series of constant micro-distractions. :-

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Guys I started watching Bitten, I'm only on episode 2 but its very entertaining. Its about Werewolves if you like that type of thing :)

My girlfriend described it as True Blood minus the nudity. I said "what the point then"? She agreed.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Showtime's US version of "Shameless" is one weird show. Occasionally really funny, but very weird. I adore William H. Macy (have for years) tho - he's always awesome. I haven't seen all the episodes myself, but hubby's been going through the 1st 3 seasons and I occasionally sit down and watch one.

Got around to watching the finale of Sleepy Hollow, holy crap that was nuts! I figured there would be some sort of twist but god damn.

Also, tonights Lost Girl was pretty intense.

Devastatorsig.jpg

My girlfriend described it as True Blood minus the nudity. I said "what the point then"? She agreed.

:lol:

I hear you, I suppose its a change to not be see another Vampire series and there is interesting backgrounds to the various characters that will be revealed as the series progresses. And there is sex but yes no clear nudity

John Milton 

I recently realized that from the top of my head, I can't come up with one series that I enjoyed, which didn't plunged into oblivion somewhere around season two\three. When watching with someone, it is easy to miss that mark where it start go down (because it's not the show but the company and experience WILL vary if you stupid enough to mess with formula and watch it alone) but eventually you do and realize that last season were such a waste of time.

Last week I was remind of that with Breaking bad season four first episode, I spent most of the episode thinking WTF?! this retarded... why is pinkmen isn't finally dead ?!

• Like 1

I recently realized that from the top of my head, I can't come up with one series that I enjoyed, which didn't plunged into oblivion somewhere around season two\three. When watching with someone, it is easy to miss that mark where it start go down (because it's not the show but the company and experience WILL vary if you stupid enough to mess with formula and watch it alone) but eventually you do and realize that last season were such a waste of time.

Last week I was remind of that with Breaking bad season four first episode, I spent most of the episode thinking WTF?! this retarded... why is pinkmen isn't finally dead ?!

I find it the other way around. Stuff I really enjoyed while watching alone, I will try to show to people and suddenly I see all the flaws.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

You are right, it depends on the type of the show and the company. Though I wasn't talking about flaws per se, every show have them. Its about the producers not able to stop milking the cow, while they are still ahead. I prefer to be left with a cliffhanger, then be disappointed by artificially prolonged plot, where its and the production is dragged through the mud.

With breaking bad the realization that I didn't really enjoyed that much the last two seasons, came when Walter managed to talk himself out of killing those two dealers, the chemist, betraying the trust of the boss and showing that the pinkmen is a liability. With a simple you need me and I won't work without the retard pinkmen...

Where is the counter offer, that he won't be able to refuse i.e. put the him in his place i.e. shut the **** up and watch as I bash the head of your retard friend, take as sample of what will happen to your family, relatives and anyone who you care about if you ever cross us.. In case Walter has any smartass ideas about running away, turning in to the police, witness protection, killing the boss, a strike, whatever; throw in a couple of million from the monthly batch to make sure if anything happens he and his family/relatives/friends will either die or be on the run\hidding for the rest of their life.

Up to episode seven, series one, of Breaking Bad.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Decided I kinda like that Showtime Shameless show. Not typically my thing but it does make me giggle with its outrageousness, and there's some characters that are worth keeping track of (oldest son, youngest daughter, crazy boozing father).

Sadly one of my fave chrs. appears to be gone from the show...tho a crack was possibly left open for him to show up again one day perhaps. Always happens to me. I start a show, like a chr, watch for that chr, and the chr. leaves/is killed off/actor quits/whatever. :disguise:

Season finale of American Horror Story: Coven was last night.

Worst. Series. Ever.

Bad finale or bad all the way through?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Season finale of American Horror Story: Coven was last night.

Worst. Series. Ever.

Bad finale or bad all the way through?

When compared to season one Murder House and season two Asylum, Coven is the weakest by far all the way through, imo. The finale itself was just "ok".

So CM Punk quit WWE over Batista coming back from a 4 year absense to getting to headline Wrestlemania. 3 top guys in the company in terms of popularity are probably in order: Daniel Bryan, John Cena, and CM Punk. Bryan got shafted at Royal Rumble, and despite being the most popular superstar since Steve Austin, he's reportedly getting a midcard match with Sheamus at Wrestlemania for the 3rd year in a row or some crap. Punk is pissed that the roster is full of guys who work their asses off for a chance at WM, but they all get bumped for part-timers who don't have to put the work in, but get paid more than the rest of the roster, and guys like Bryan ddon't get the opportunities their popularity warrants because the higher ups feel they're too small.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

When compared to season one Murder House and season two Asylum, Coven is the weakest by far all the way through, imo. The finale itself was just "ok".

First season was the best imo. I enjoyed Coven. Both Asylum and Coven had faults and not sure if the writers can get back to the awesomeness of Season 1.