What's on the idiot box... Part 2

Rosbjerg

Rather disappointed with the anniversary episode, nice to see old smiley and John Hurt effortlessly outacting the entire cast, but that cast were what dragged the thing down for me. Guess the new series just isn't for me.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I was disappointed in the Doctor Who special as well. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something made it seem just so....bland.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Me and the missus really enjoyed the special. Opens up a lot for future stories. Doesn't it kind of negate The End of Time though?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

We watched it, really enjoyed it. My only gripe is that YET AGAIN the writers use a magic deus ex machina solution to a complex goddamn problem. Dr Who's genocidal record is the only thing I thought was worthwhile in his bloody backstory.

Children neither like nor want "And they all lived happily ever after." Pathetically weak adults just think they do.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So for 400 years the Doctor tortures himself over the fact that he believes he committed a mass act of genocide, when in actual fact it came down to a big sleight of hand that sealed Gallifrey away in a slice of time, hidden pocket dimension that's locked in that moment..

It's a classic "Moffat Special". There's a terrible thing that generally appears inevitable, the Doctor embraces doing something incredibly dark to save the day only to suddenly figure out a slight of hand to get around that, but leave everyone thinking it happened. With chunks of wordplay that you think meant one thing, but turn out to be something else. And the companion makes some offhand comment that inspires the Doctor's grasp at deviousness.

I think what partially seemed to disconnect it for me was how they hyped the aspect of the Time War being in it, but then....skipped it. We got a chaotic ruined city, a few Daleks going pew-pew and general innocents running around. We got no real feel for the Timelords being as bad as the Daleks, or the dangers to the rest of the universe. What about the Skaro Degradations? The Nightmare Child? The Army of Ne'erweres? Or the Could've-Been-King?

But John Hurt was pretty damn good in that role of war-weary Doctor deciding to embrace a horrible choice. And it was interesting to have him react to the "infantile" style of his future regenerations, "Timey-Wimey?!?". The whole play on them refusing to act like adults because they were horrified of how they acted when they were the 'adult' War Doctor.

http://youtu.be/yI5Py96KJ54

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So for 400 years the Doctor tortures himself over the fact that he believes he committed a mass act of genocide, when in actual fact it came down to a big sleight of hand that sealed Gallifrey away in a slice of time, hidden pocket dimension that's locked in that moment..

It's a classic "Moffat Special". There's a terrible thing that generally appears inevitable, the Doctor embraces doing something incredibly dark to save the day only to suddenly figure out a slight of hand to get around that, but leave everyone thinking it happened. With chunks of wordplay that you think meant one thing, but turn out to be something else. And the companion makes some offhand comment that inspires the Doctor's grasp at deviousness.

I think what partially seemed to disconnect it for me was how they hyped the aspect of the Time War being in it, but then....skipped it. We got a chaotic ruined city, a few Daleks going pew-pew and general innocents running around. We got no real feel for the Timelords being as bad as the Daleks, or the dangers to the rest of the universe. What about the Skaro Degradations? The Nightmare Child? The Army of Ne'erweres? Or the Could've-Been-King?

But John Hurt was pretty damn good in that role of war-weary Doctor deciding to embrace a horrible choice. And it was interesting to have him react to the "infantile" style of his future regenerations, "Timey-Wimey?!?". The whole play on them refusing to act like adults because they were horrified of how they acted when they were the 'adult' War Doctor.

Totally agree. Besides which, WTF is up with the Wile-E-Coyote notion used to negate the Daleks? It presupposes that the little flying bastards are directly lined up facing each other, and that they'll kill each other before realising anything has happened. And that none will escape. It's utterly laughable.

I get annoyed by this because Dr Who appeals to smart kids. And we're using that open channel to 'teach' them complete balls.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Heh.

The Five(ish) Doctors

Worried about which Doctors would and would not appear in the 50th Anniversary Special? So were some of the actors who portrayed the Doctor in the classic Doctor Who episodes. In the comedy short The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, Peter Davison teams up with his fellow Doctors to take their rightful places in front of the camera.

Davison wrote and directed this sketch, in which he, Sylvester McCoy, and Colin Baker poke plenty of fun at themselves and the other folks behind Doctor Who. It also features some surprise cameos from outside the world of Doctor Who—and adds an Easter egg to "The Day of the Doctor." It's best enjoyed after watching the 50th anniversary special

Almost Human: Die Hard Edition. Let me see if I can count all the similarities ... terrorists take over skyscraper, hold group of hostages, prior demands include release of jailed compatriots, the 25th floor, cops set up command post on street, cops disable city block communications, hero cop already inside building--unbeknownst to terrorist leader, girl hostage asks to use bathroom, hero cop engages in gun battle in stairwell/alternate floors, hero cop uses elevator shaft and air vent to re-engage terrorists, hostage double-cross--they were always going to die, act of terror was only a cover for grand theft, terrorist leader consoles henchman by mentioning post-heist beach activities, hero cop's first name is John, Almost Human hero cop's middle name is Reginald--same name as real-life Die Hard cast member, Reginald VelJohnson.

Anyway, kick-ass episode. I frickin love that "hard drive activity light" on Dorian's temple.         

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Finished Warehouse 13 season 4 - pity that it only runs one more season (and a shortened 6 episode season at that).

Started American Horror Story - Asylum   -   Season 2 is much creepier than season 1!

I thoroughly enjoyed American Horror Story, I'm busy watching Season 3 - Coven.

Its good, I probably enjoyed Season 2 more but I'll wait till the end to comment properly

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm terrified that Almost Human is going to get cancelled.  It's the best show I've seen in a long time.

Isn't that how US network TV is run?

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

I'm terrified that Almost Human is going to get cancelled.  It's the best show I've seen in a long time.

Right now its showing is good on TV By the Numbers Renew/Cancel index and they think renewal.  BubbleWatch on the same site (which uses the same number but tries to predict the ratings for a full season) puts it in the bubble but with only four episodes and one on a different night it may be difficult to predict at this point.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It makes me angry when supposedly white collar jobs are essentially just applying a simple - and let's be honest REALLY simple - mathematical algorithm. With a binary outcome.

I believe the only reason upper management tolerate middle managers drawing salary is:

a) so they can be fired if anything goes awry

b) so upper managers have incremental justification for their own salaries

It's all total BS. Management is a complex job, but we have the training, business science, and the culture to have it be done right. We shouldn't be hamstringing it. And we ought to blame it fairly when it produces crap.

-Elwood Blues

I don't even want to speculate how long Ward and May have been ... assembling. A year, a week, doesn't matter I'm not jealous super stupid handsome, cut, chiseled features Agent Ward dumb head.  :p

Although if Agent May does/did invest emotionally with Ward, that would really inform his character. No matter what, it was great to get some background stories illuminated. I love that Coulsen cares about special things, like his timepiece: "I think they only made twenty ..."  

All Stop. On Screen.

Shhh, they can smell your fear.

And they find it ...nourishing.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Shhh, they can smell your fear.

And they find it ...nourishing.

Apparently the US network are secretly headed by:

ABC - Cthulhu

CBS - Azathoth

NBC - Yog-Sothoth

Fox - Nyarlathotep

CW - Shub-Niggurath

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Person of Interest.

The opening montage with Cash's rendition of "Hurt" worked damn well.

And that ending conversation from Elias on the nature of civilised man and debts... Before the "Me? Kill you? No. I'm not going to kill you. My friend is going to kill you. I'm just going to watch."

• Like 1

I watched the latest episode of Agents of SHIELD and I thought this was a pretty bad episode. Most of this show has had a bit of police procedurals with elements of Supernatural and Chuck - the last episode was pure Ghost Whisperer.

Also, it bothered me that they gave up so easily on the villain of the week who turned out to be not a bad guy. He wasn't dead, he was just somewhere else. Couldn't they, say, try to contact Heimdall and see where he went?

While not actually on television, I watched the Turkey Day MST3K marathon online yesterday, in addition to footbaw.  They had some terrific episodes too, including Werewolf Man (WARWLF), The Final Sacrifice (ROWSDOWER!), and Mitchell.  That show was so brilliant.

As for television television, I think Almost Human is surprisingly decent.  Agents of SHIELD has been a borderline trainwreck, though.  Blacklist is the only new show I'm at all invested in, and it's honestly not a good show, but James Spader is awesome and is carrying it.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks